Short trip across Cambodia Part I

JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited February 19, 2009 in Journeys
Hi!

Last December I managed to combine trip to <st1:city w:st="on">Hanoi</st1:city> (professional activities, non-photographic ) with 10 day vacation which allowed me to make a short trip across <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cambodia</st1:place></st1:country-region> and spent three and a half days in Siem Reap. The idea to visit Angkor Wat come a couple of years ago and I did not miss the opportunity. First I flew to Bangkok, actually it is possible to fly to Siem Reap and if you are not a die hard backpacker I suggest to do so, but I choose difficult way and took a train from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet, (here and after Aran) which is some 6 km from the border with Cambodia.

445052500_QApfr-S.jpg

<o:p></o:p>Some times train has second class car, but not in my case. While train was quite slow, late and not clean, trip was interesting. It is not scenic but allows you to see countryside,

445053868_sCZSw-S.jpg
and see local people traveling by train.

<o:p></o:p>My first stop was in Aran, which did not look very attractive in the night, but appeared to be quite Ok.

466491194_BeAmh-S.jpg

I stayed in clean and inexpensive motel, nicely decorated with good restaurant and many geckos running on the walls. (more details about motels etc available upon request). 466488406_StYNF-S.jpg
466493113_asBMe-S-1.jpg
Next morning

466482125_2JxwW-S.jpg

I took a tuk-tuk to the border. Of course first he tried to take me to the travel agency and then to Cambodian consulate but I already had visa.

While border crossing and especially no man’s land between <st1:country-region w:st="on">Thailand</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cambodia</st1:place></st1:country-region> is very interesting, traveling alone and with more luggage than just a backpack I did not risk taking there any photos. There were many people offering "help" but I simply ignored them. Since I did not find my Taxi or free shuttle bus to the bus station. I asked for a telephone in the local office of tourist police, and after some 20 min one guy offered me a bike ride to what they called a bus station. Where from my preordered taxi picked me up.
<o:p> </o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>466483530_NqfV9-S.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>(Most probably some road works are in progress)</o:p>
<o:p>
</o:p>
I traveled during the dry period so road was more or less Ok,
466482459_8sm2Z-S.jpg

in some places you can see some repairing activity, in general it was an interesting trip, with two short stops.
445061202_5jyr7-S.jpg445062608_b6BLH-S.jpg
If next time I will go there unless will be traveling in a company I would prefer to fly.
After 4-hour trip, by two afternoon I reached Siem-Reap. After short rest I decided to spent remaining part of the day observing the town.
<o:p> 445067364_AaM5W-S.jpg</o:p>
First meal in the restaurant called Dead Fish tower,
<o:p> 445065672_kYWN8-S-1.jpg</o:p>
(Inside the Dead Fish Tower restaurant)
Very interesting place. It has a skeleton and roof but walls only in some places.
Also decoration of the building and transportation of the dishes organized in a very interesting way

<o:p>445069035_VVwMH-S.jpg
Crocodile farm
<o:p> 445056261_k2CwL-S.jpg
Short walk to the center along the Siem Reap river.
<o:p></o:p>And a few night shots near the Siem Reap river.
<o:p> 445050113_mNufp-S.jpg</o:p>
Since many people build their houses by the river, local authorities installed some net to prevent garbadge from floating in to the lake.

445051370_EiAPb-S.jpg

466484356_NdYE2-S.jpg

Red Piano, restaurant and bar. Located on a Bar street :D
It was nice place to have local drought beer and observe the streets nearby. Sorry for the shake.

End of part one.

Regards,

Sven

Comments

• 1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Sven,

Very nice presentation. I am looking forward to part 2.

AndyW