Travel Insurance?

BrenbapBrenbap Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 14, 2009 in Journeys
I am going to travel for a year, spending about 6 months in South America and Mexico. Then 6 more months throughout the world. I am concerned about getting my gear stolen. I have a D300 and looking to get a video camera as well. Is there any type of travelers insurance for camera gear? I have heard of insurance in the states that will protect you against getting gear stolen. Will this work when you travel?

Thanks for the help,
Brendan

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Brenbap wrote:
    I am going to travel for a year, spending about 6 months in South America and Mexico. Then 6 more months throughout the world. I am concerned about getting my gear stolen. I have a D300 and looking to get a video camera as well. Is there any type of travelers insurance for camera gear? I have heard of insurance in the states that will protect you against getting gear stolen. Will this work when you travel?

Thanks for the help,
    Brendan

If you are a member of Professional Photographer's Of AMerica, they have a plan that covers equipment if you are a Pro
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Brenbap wrote:

Thanks for the help,
    Brendan

I currently have a policy with state farm that covers all my cameras and lenses. It's very reasonably priced, I pay around $85 a year for 2 bodies and 5 lenses. I got it so that if I'm ever held up I can hand over all my gear and not feel too bad about it.

A guy I know refused to hand over his camera while being held up at knife point in colombia, he got cut (nothing serious luckily). Talk about stupid....

Anyway, I'd suggest looking up a local State Farm agent in a phone book, call them up and ask about a personal articles policy

Hope this helps

BTW, where are you starting? I'll be in Colombia/Venezuela/Guyana in May/June
    Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
    Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
    www.Jimbojack.com
  • BrenbapBrenbap Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2009
    Jimbojack wrote:
    I currently have a policy with state farm that covers all my cameras and lenses. It's very reasonably priced, I pay around $85 a year for 2 bodies and 5 lenses. I got it so that if I'm ever held up I can hand over all my gear and not feel too bad about it.

A guy I know refused to hand over his camera while being held up at knife point in colombia, he got cut (nothing serious luckily). Talk about stupid....

Anyway, I'd suggest looking up a local State Farm agent in a phone book, call them up and ask about a personal articles policy

Hope this helps

BTW, where are you starting? I'll be in Colombia/Venezuela/Guyana in May/June

So the plans will cover me in foreign countries? I probably be asking a agent but... do you know if it covers damage, stolen etc. and if so do I get what I paid for the camera/lens or the current depreciated price?

I am looking at Argentina, Peru, and Chile beginning late July

This is helping thanks!

Brendan
  • JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Brenbap wrote:
    So the plans will cover me in foreign countries? I probably be asking a agent but... do you know if it covers damage, stolen etc. and if so do I get what I paid for the camera/lens or the current depreciated price?

I am looking at Argentina, Peru, and Chile beginning late July

This is helping thanks!

Brendan

Yes, the plan will cover you all over the world (probably does not cover you in war zones though). It covers all damage (accidental drop in a river, etc.) and theft. I even asked them if I need to provide a police report (pain in the ass to get in some countries) and they said no. I get paid back based on the receipts that I submitted with the policy.
    Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
    Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
    www.Jimbojack.com
    edited February 13, 2009
    Jimbojack wrote:
    Yes, the plan will cover you all over the world (probably does not cover you in war zones though). It covers all damage (accidental drop in a river, etc.) and theft. I even asked them if I need to provide a police report (pain in the ass to get in some countries) and they said no. I get paid back based on the receipts that I submitted with the policy.

Thanks so much!

Brendan
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Brenbap wrote:
    Thanks so much!

Brendan

Don't forget some health insurance either.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    You might start by asking your current insurance agent what's already covered under your homeowner's or renter's insurance. There may be travel loss coverage of some kind already, but if it's nice gear their limit may not be enough, which is why you might need to take out another policy. As far as which locations and what amounts are covered, all that is somewhat negotiable, you can often just tell an agent what you need and get a quote, and also shop around to see if there's a better deal. But you may get a lower rate if you already have a policy with a company (as in homeowner's or car insurance) and they just add it on as a rider.
    edited February 14, 2009
    Thanks for the help I am going to shop around and see whats out there. Thanks for the help!