5th Ave Hispanic Day Parade 2011

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited October 21, 2011 in People
My third year of shooting this parade, but first w/ my Canon 5d and my 70-200 f4 (sadly not the stabalized one because I'm cheap and now I regret it).

1. A candid moment
sp-20-L.jpg

2. see I feel this could be sharper.
sp-50-L.jpg

sp-129-L.jpg

4. NOte they are ALL off the ground! and still I find that it's too soft!
sp-62-L.jpg

5. My sister:) I struggle w/ green in photos (Divamum, it's not grass but still green, I have decided I hate green). I threw everything I had at this photo to try and make it presentable, sadly I also chopped her hands off! argh.
sp-104-L.jpg

6. and for a little family drama. The older gentleman is my uncle, due to a falling out w/ the family I have not seen him in well over 20 years, yet I recognized him immediately. That's my brother who he hasn't seen since he was a small boy, the parade was worth it just for this shot--for me anyway.
sp-212-L.jpg

The SP of sorts with my brother who also shot with me that day. The only time I took my beast of a lens off once the parade started and slapped on his wider prime. THis is at the end, the last group right behind us.
sp-202-L.jpg

I don't know how wedding photogs do it w/ those heavy zoom lenses. I could hardly walk the next day--but it was a 30 block parade and I was up and down the route trying to find a spot where the autum son wasn't burning my retinas. Twas a struggle to work w/ the bright sun and seriously dark shade with burned out backgrounds! But I am still happy w/ what I got, just wish I had purchased the IS version. I also struggled with the zoom lens and the dancers coming at me at a fast pace. I'm used to shooting with my 50 prime and once they got too close I couldn't shoot them due to the proximity and had to run ahead and try again.

C&C always appreciated.
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Quite simply? LOVE. Mood, colour, motion... you got it all. What fun!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Really wonderful series, Liz!!! Love #3, really an amazing image. The moment and story on #6 make the aches of schelpping the zoom around all worthwhile...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Quite simply? LOVE. Mood, colour, motion... you got it all. What fun!

Thank you Divamum:)
    I remember you commented on both my previous parade posts in '09 and '10. I went back to look and was so thankful that I improved:) would have really scared me if these were worse than the previous offering.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited October 19, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Really wonderful series, Liz!!! Love #3, really an amazing image. The moment and story on #6 make the aches of schelpping the zoom around all worthwhile...

I was so happy with #3 but I cut off the woman's head on the right to the nose so I decided, I don't need the heads at all--glad it still works.

#6 is a keeper for me for sure. The funny thing is in the chaos of shooting (this was right at the end of the parade) we didn't exchange info and we lost him in the crowd. He told us he is not living in NYC and that's all I know, lol. I sure hope we can track each other down again.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    I have to agree with above comments but another one for me is #2. The way you captured the variety of movement is just perfect. Makes me feel like I'm right in the middle of it all!
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    The whole series is nice

especially like 2, comtumes, expression, dancin all good stuff

oh and I like the last but I'm not tellin why mwink.gif
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Love #3 and #4 as being wonderfully composed and captured. Looks like the family stuff just added to a wonderful day for you.

And please reconsider turning the black streets bluish in your processing...
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    I don't care for the PP on the first two. Just a bit too cool for my tastes. I'm oddly drawn to #3 even with the heads chopped off.

I love that last shot with your brother. Great idea and execution.
  • laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    Loving 3 and 7! Spot on processing to capture the feel of a parade. I've been to some to cover them for the newspaper before, they're madness!
    edited October 21, 2011
    I have to agree with above comments but another one for me is #2. The way you captured the variety of movement is just perfect. Makes me feel like I'm right in the middle of it all!

Thank you. I liked that one so much myself but it required a hell of a lot of work in post processing with the harsh shadows and lighting. So I'm very glad it works for you.
    I love that she happened to pick that moment to stare at me, works beautifully w/ this shot:)
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited October 21, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    The whole series is nice

especially like 2, comtumes, expression, dancin all good stuff

oh and I like the last but I'm not tellin why mwink.gif

thank you Benjamin rolleyes1.gif:D.

anybody else find that they want to use emoticons in everyday talk? Makes life so much easier, "insert rolling laugh here".
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited October 21, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I don't care for the PP on the first two. Just a bit too cool for my tastes. I'm oddly drawn to #3 even with the heads chopped off.

I love that last shot with your brother. Great idea and execution.

noooooooooo you are joining the bandwagon of "liz color" haters rolleyes1.gif.
    I must accept that the majority is likely right, but I love it so.

I botched #3 by cutting too much off the top of their heads so I went further and just chopped them off and liked it. Glad it works for you.

AS to the last shot the old "arms stretched out SP" rarely fails :) Been using it since high school rolleyes1.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited October 21, 2011
    Loving 3 and 7! Spot on processing to capture the feel of a parade. I've been to some to cover them for the newspaper before, they're madness!

Hey Brooklyn,
    Sorry, I know it's lame to call you Brooklyn but I can not help myself.

Thanks for the comments, I love this parade, it's my favorite one out of all NYCs parades.

BTW, GQ named Brooklyn the coolest city in the US--um, it's a borough, not a city and I stil say Queens is underated.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Hey Brooklyn,
    Sorry, I know it's lame to call you Brooklyn but I can not help myself.

Thanks for the comments, I love this parade, it's my favorite one out of all NYCs parades.

BTW, GQ named Brooklyn the coolest city in the US--um, it's a borough, not a city and I stil say Queens is underated.

Hahahaha well first off, Brooklyn was my nickname in college (I went to Michigan) so I don't think it's lame!

Secondly...Brooklyn SHOULD be its own city, as it was for more than 200 years! No comment on Queens. That rivalry is in my blood :D