First wedding coming up--gear question

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited September 1, 2011 in Weddings
Hi all,
I have my first wedding this Saturday (gulp!)
I am taking my canon 5d, 50mm f1.4 and my 70-200 f4. (non is) as my primaries and my E620 w/ two lenses as my back ups.

As you know the 70-200 is a beast, for me anyway, I'm used to E620 kit lenses.

I will also be renting a lens.

What do you do w/ all your gear when you are not using it?
I'm afraid to leave my gear around, specially my rental lens as I don't want to get charged for it. So much so in fact that I'm debating not renting the lens for fear of the lens "walking away".

Do you guys strap all your gear to you, do you take a bag w/ wheels and cart it about.
My primary style of shooting is street photography, one camera and one small prime lens. I can't imagine carting about all this gear or dangling multiple camera for my neck.

Please tell me what you do and have you ever lost or had gear stolen?

Thanks in advance.
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    I've luckily never had any of my gear stolen (knock on wood). i just find private corner where i can store all my gear while im shooting the ceremony, maybe in an office at the church, etc. just as someone who works there if there is a safe place to store your gear and usually they're more than happy to help. for the reception, i usually store it near the DJ so that someone is near it for pretty much the whole night. just introduce yourself, be friendly, and ask if they wouldn't mind you setting your hear near theirs for the ceremony. i've never had a problem with doing this as of yet.

which lens are you renting? i would highly recommend going wide, probably a 24-70 or 16-35. the 50mm might not be wide enough for all the group shots.
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    Hey Liz - I am excited for you! I have not shot weddings so I cant be of much hep to you on your questions, but wanted to say good luck :)
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    I have yet to shoot a wedding (though, do have some booked), but when I am shooting band performances I usually try to find me a small area I can keep an eye on.

When I shot nightclubs, making friends with a DJ, usually helps as they can help you with some safe space / easy access area.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    I carry two bodies at all times with pretty expensive zoom lenses on them, but park the rolling camera bag with all the other supplies, flashes, lenses, etc, at the DJ table. He's there the whole reception, and after we chat and exchange cards, I usually feel ok with that. But in rare cases, I've stashed stuff under the cake table, unseen because of the tablecloth, before the guest enter the main reception room from the cocktail hour.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    Thank you all.
    No DJ (though I would have likely not thought of him)--16 piece salsa band instead. It will be a fun wedding for sure.
    I will have to see if I can store the equipment w/ the band.

I appreciate the lens recommendation too as it's the group shots that are the only real "mandatory" shots, lots of family coming in from out of the country.

thanks for the good wishes and advise.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    Good luck, Liz! Hope all goes well. I'm shooting my first wedding in a couple of weeks, but it's bit more "low key" than what you're doing - small backyard ceremony, about 30 guests, no music or dancing. When I shoot other events, I usually carry two cameras, with different lenses (depending on the size of the venue, types of shots I'm looking for, etc.) I try to find a safe, out of the way place to stash my bag (while keeping it fairly accessible if I need it). There is actually one place that I shoot at quite a bit (a local air museum - I'm a volunteer photographer there), and I have staked out several spots where I can hide my bag. I also use an inexpensive belt I put together when I can hang a small lens case and a couple of small cases to hold extra batteries and CF cards.
  • mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    Black Pelican 1440 case with photo dividers because it looks like a file drawer case and is bomb proof.
    ThinkTank Wideload because it holds any 2 of my lenses, is not bulky with padding, has a waterproof rain fly, and doesn't flop around on my shoulder like a purse does. (many girls like the shootsac because it is like a purse)

For reception or church I usually put the case under a table that has a tablecloth on it, or behind the dj booth, or in the coatroom, or on a back pew of the church, or in an office or around a corner or somewhere where I can keep an eye on it. When out on location it stays in my trunk. I reload my wideload for each phase of the day and switch batteries and whatnot when I return to my case. You get to where you know what you will need, but until then you end up bringing a lot of extra junk or kicking yourself for not having something. Neither is good for obvious reasons. Doing this all properly is an experience thing and not something a person can learn other than by finding their style and knowing what tools it takes to get there each time you shoot.

Hope that helps!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • pinkymalingpinkymaling Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    Hey:) we use a "boda bag" being a woman, I like wearing this on my hips. It leaves me lots of arm room so I don't bump into people that might get too close. We love it!!!! here is a link to the site attached for you. You probably couldn't get an order in before sat. but for future reference it is something to consider. Its just been a life saver for me and my back. I also find that carrying 2 camera bodies and lenses around my neck gives me a lot of grief on my neck the following day. The hip bag really helps me there as well. Matt's suggestions are great as well:)

click here for a link to Goboda

First weddings are exciting and scary at the same time....I would wear depends Laughing.gif!!!!! just joking. Relax and take a deep breath...and remember....say to yourself..."my camera is not a machine gun" "I am not under attack and I don't have to shoot everyone and everything" If you have a second shooter, have them get the details and you can concentrate on the couple and their family:) Have fun.
  • StunningCStunningC Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    shoot sac
    I did my 2nd wedding this summer and happened to see in the daily photo group someone had gotten a Shoot Sac as a gift and was loving it. So I ordered one also. It arrived before the wedding and I was amazed how much it could hold.... I love it! and it kinda wraps around your body as you carry it so it doesn't seem very bulky.

Take a look here...
    http://shootsac.com/

♥ connie
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    how did it goes liz?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    how did it goes liz?

thank you guys! all of you.

Qarik--it was a no go.
    I found out on the day of the wedding that it was postponed (til further notice) due to hurricane Irene.
    WIsh I could share some photos w/ you guys. I was still ready to go when I got the call, if the roads were open I was going.

If it gets rescheduled you guys will know about it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    awww man..I was kinda interested on to see what you come up with
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com