How Small is Too Small?

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited January 31, 2004 in Cameras
Cameras keep getting smaller and smaller. And for folks who like portable, at first blush that's a good thing.

But the fat-fingered among us might argue differently. Diminishing size has diminishing returns. For example, I kinda like the Canon Digital Elph.
I164803.jpg

But is this camera really too small?
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• John MacdonaldJohn Macdonald Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    Too small?
    No way.
    Especially once it's in the Canon watertight case. That thing is cool.
    The little elph just rocks. Love mine. It goes almost everywhere with me.
    It handles quite well, even in motorcycle gloves. The ergonomics are great, the controls are very well laid out and have a good feel.

The viewfinder is teensy though, but if you've used other mini cameras in the past, it's not so bad. I always just use the LCD screen.
  • kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    I can use my S400 without difficulty, even one handed with motorcycle gloves on.
    What's this button do?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    Wow, you guys can operate it with gloves on? That's amazing to me... everything seems so small and tightly packed on it. Hmmm... (going into acquisitive mode... lessee, $400...)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • aj2aj2 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    kbasa wrote:
    I can use my S400 without difficulty, even one handed with motorcycle gloves on.
    Hmm, a lot of motorcycle riders here, huh. :D

But seriously, I had an APS Elph, and while it was really easy to carry around, obviously, and no problem to use, I lost it very quickly. I'm not particularly prone to losing stuff, but it was just too damn small and probably got left in a hotel room somewhere. :sad:
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    Never! I love mine!
    Too small? I have a D60 for when shots really count, but as I'm running out the door to go somewhere, it's sooooo handy to grab my Z3 and not even notice it's there the whole time.

Some size comparisons courtesy of dpreview.

1929608-S.jpg

1929609-S.jpg

More: Casio Exilim Z3 images

Don
  • BMWRiderBMWRider Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    So far I've found the little compact cameras too small for my ham hands.
    But I must say I'm impressed by their features and wouldn't rule one out in the future. I have a "normal"-sized digicam (Sony DSC-S85) and I love it but confess there are times I'd like something half its size ...
    Photographs are memories.
    edited January 10, 2004
    BMWRider wrote:
    So far I've found the little compact cameras too small for my ham hands.
    But I must say I'm impressed by their features and wouldn't rule one out in the future. I have a "normal"-sized digicam (Sony DSC-S85) and I love it but confess there are times I'd like something half its size ...

Hi BMWRider wave.gif

Just wait, maybe something will come out of Canon's February announcements that will encourage even a cheapskate such as yourself to say "My sweet spot has just been hit!" deal.gif
    Sid.
    edited January 10, 2004
    aj2 wrote:
    Hmm, a lot of motorcycle riders here, huh. :D

Wink2.gif Many of the first wave of registrants are coming over from Baldy's other message board, www.advrider.com, an Adventure Rider motorcycle board. A great bunch of solid citizens. thumb.gif

I never thought about losing the camera, that's a good point. :sad:

Here's where my head is. I have the Canon G3, which I don't feel comfortable stuffing into a jacket pocket.
    g31.jpg

So I'm sorta thinking about getting a camera that's small enough to easily fit into my riding jacket, or mayber even my pants pocket, and which I can whip out without any delays. One handed operation would be a huge bonus... which is where we get into the tricky area of small vs. too small. I don't want to mash buttons.

For example, I was riding home the other night and saw an overturned family van near the mall exit on a side road, small tree uprooted from the collision. No-one was hurt, and it would have made a nice reality shot. But my G3 was safely packed away in its carry bag, inside my side luggage. I didn't want to stop, turn off the bike, etc. But with a leetle beeety camera in my pocket, I could have pulled over, quickly snapped off a few shots, and been on my way.
    Sid.
  • Doh!Doh! Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2004
    not small enough
    Sid, your G3 needs the Pentax Optio S4 companion. I love mine.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2978590366&category=50531
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2004
    Interesting thread (hi rider wave.gif ....baldy, please rename the smilies).

Different tools for different jobs. I love my new 10D, but I can't very well stuff it in a pocket and go. My S400 serves that purpose. It's also great for parties and candids. Funny thing...the S400 seems to have a fantastic DOF, whereas I have to think about and tweak the 10D to get it. Weird, huh?

Ah...what's a few pounds between friends? rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited January 14, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Ah...what's a few pounds between friends? rolleyes1.gif

Depends on whether you're on top or underneath. Wink2.gif

Doh, I see your Pentax and also really like Fish's S400... equally teeny tiny. Good thing is I'm not in a hurry... and am interested to see what new cameras Canon will announce next month. Out of the 20 they're supposed to unveil, there may just be one that appeals to me!
    Sid.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 14, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Wink2.gif Many of the first wave of registrants are coming over from Baldy's other message board, www.advrider.com, an Adventure Rider motorcycle board. A great bunch of solid citizens. thumb.gif

I never thought about losing the camera, that's a good point. :sad:

Here's where my head is. I have the Canon G3, which I don't feel comfortable stuffing into a jacket pocket.
    I keep my s50 in my 'stich pocket. It has a nice little cover the s400 didn't
    so that was my reasoning for choosing the s50 over the s400. plus, it's always
    handy.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, you guys can operate it with gloves on? That's amazing to me... everything seems so small and tightly packed on it. Hmmm... (going into acquisitive mode... lessee, $400...)

:nono That $400.00 is one-quarter of a 70-200/2.8 IS, priorities. You will need that lens for your fancy new EOS ??D. deal.gif
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Out of the 20 they're supposed to unveil, there may just be one that appeals to me!

I think that is 20 over the next year. I do not think they will announce that many at PMA, unless they count one model with five different color. 20 would be an amazing number of cameras.
  • davereysdavereys Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    Small Camera?
    wxwax wrote:
    Cameras keep getting smaller and smaller. And for folks who like portable, at first blush that's a good thing.

But the fat-fingered among us might argue differently. Diminishing size has diminishing returns. For example, I kinda like the Canon Digital Elph.
    I164803.jpg

But is this camera really too small?

I also believe cameras are getting a bit on the small size, my way around the problem is to use a Grip that doubles as a tabletop tripod.

The one I use is made by Hama, just screws into the tripod socket, easy to keep the camera steady, cerainly makes it much easier to handle these little critters.

Cant ever remember taking a picture without the Grip.

Regards
    David.
    edited January 19, 2004
    David, do you have a link or a brand name?
    Sid.
    edited January 21, 2004
    Hi Sid,

Looking through the catalogue it seems that the Grip Tripod Hama used to make is no longer available.

I work in a camera store 3 days a week, forund the one I have in a box with a load of bits and pieces.

There must be other grips out there that will bo the job so I will do a mirror and look into it.

Regards
    David.
    edited January 22, 2004
    Thanks David, I did a search and only found stuff for DSLRs. Nothing for smaller cameras. Guess I'll have to get a second job in a camera store! :D
    Sid.
    edited January 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hi BMWRider wave.gif

Just wait, maybe something will come out of Canon's February announcements that will encourage even a cheapskate such as yourself to say "My sweet spot has just been hit!" deal.gif

I don't doubt it for a second. This camera business is crazier than the computer world: products seems to improve almost weekly.
    It's insane! eek7.gif
    edited January 23, 2004
    And about to get more so, with Canon expected to announce a new squadron of cameras in February.
    Sid.
    edited January 29, 2004
    Message for wxwax
    wxwax wrote:
    And about to get more so, with Canon expected to announce a new squadron of cameras in February.
    Hi There,

Posted a few pics of the Grip Tripod I was teeling you about.

Regards
    David,
    edited January 29, 2004
    davereys wrote:
    Hi There,

Posted a few pics of the Grip Tripod I was teeling you about.

Regards
    David,
    Other pictures of this Tripod/Grip can be found at URL

http://au.photos.yahoo.com/davereys/

Regards
    David.
    edited January 29, 2004
    thumb.gif Thanks David. Now I understand. And you keep it attached all the time?
    Sid.
    edited January 31, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Interesting thread (hi rider wave.gif ....baldy, please rename the smilies).
    Hi, Fish. Fancy running into you here. :D