Options

My First Wedding

HarringtonHarrington Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Weddings
In July, I had the opportunity to be an assistant wedding photographer. We were shooting almost nonstop from 1 pm to 8 pm at one location. I was lucky enough to borrow some equipment from my boss. I shot with a 5D Mark II. I used a the Canon 200mm f/2.0 for half the wedding and a Canon 28 - 105mm f/3.5-4.5. Not a bad setup for a 17 year old on his first wedding shot? Thanks Baldy!

I would enjoy hearing your feedback, so I can improve. I'm looking forward to my third wedding on Friday.

When I first got to there, I scouted out where the best shooting locations would be. The sun was directly overhead. It was a very bright hazy day. Shade seemed to be the only option for portraits. The main photographer, Meghan, sent me out alone to shoot of the wedding party while she was shooting the bride and groom. I did not have any wedding photography experience and my first task was to photograph a ten person wedding party, alone. I was able to get some decent shots:
589253734_jetDR-XL.jpg

Then I went on shoot the "first look" with Meghan. There I got to relax as I stood in the background shooting candids with the Canon 200mm f/2.0 and Meghan directed the wedding party:
575027827_J6wqX-L.jpg

After that, the ceremony began. I stood in the background again using the 200, while Meghan sat up front close to action. Looking down the aisle, the lighting was horrible. Harsh shadows on faces from patchy shade and intense sunlight. I was able to get some good shots of the wedding party inside a house before they walked outside and into the ceremony though.This is one of my favorites:
575027215_Nrpvq-L.jpg

After the ceremony, we walked inside a house. It was very dim inside. There was less light than what a normal house would have. I had great equipment, but no flash. Luckily I was not phased because I had a 5D Mark II in my hands. I turned the ISO up to 2000 and got these shots:
570563809_jHLyV-L.jpg
570563082_dNENa-L.jpg
Now I really want a 5D for myself. There is little noise and it's ISO 2000!

After that, we photographed the reception. When it came time for cutting the cake, I had the 200mm on and could not change it out in time. I was 10ft from the bride and groom. It worked out though because Meghan had a wider angle lens. I got these shots:
570565906_Mdj8F-L.jpg
570566935_sHyvL-L.jpg

The Bride was standing across the dance floor and saw my giant lens:
570567974_zP5D9-L.jpg

It was harder getting some wedding party shots at the end because the alcohol really got to them.

Please give me your feedback. There are more photos from the wedding here:
http://onedgephoto.com/gallery/8646081_xxRfX

Thanks for looking.
Kevin Harrington | SmugMug | OnEdgePhoto

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    You did a really great job, especially for it being your first! The lone shot of the bridesmaid is my favorite....fantastic lighting on her face. Look at those eyes!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    First things first - numbering your photos makes C&C a lot easier :D

Looking at these and the gallery, I think you did a very good job, especially for having to work with equipment not your own and for this being your first effort. Well done!

But, you've asked for C&C so ....
    1. A bit of flash (not much) would have opened up the eye-sockets and put a bit of a catchlight in the eyes. But, you did very well keeping the dappled light off their faces.
    2. Looks a touch under-exposed to me and is there a slight color cast?
    3. You got some really dreamy light on the bride's maid - thumb.gif. Would have been even better had you been able to achieve a bit of seperation between the background and her hair.
    4. Color cast - need to set the WB on this and the next one. The photo itself is not doing much for me. Is there a story behind it that would increase it's appeal for your client?
    5. Color cast, and not a flattering shot of the bride - the brow wrinkles. If there's emotion in this shot (not sure, she could just be rubbing dust from the corner of her eye), there's a chance that had you waited you might have gotten a better shot in a few seconds.
    6. The cake cutting - good exposure, good WB, and very nice hand pose - one of the best I've seen for a while. Where's the cake? If you had pulled back a bit, you might have been able to include the cake for context.
    7. Nice and sharp on her eye, but there's no emotion, no context, and not interaction between the bride and her groom - in short nothing to recommend it to the client.
    8. Across the room - Love her expression and the light - is is probably the best in the set you've shown us.
    As for getting shots at the end of the day - remember, among other things, the wedding photography is there to record and tell the story of the day in photographs. If that includes the funny things that people do when a little "under the weather" .... well. But, you have to be sure the client will appreciate these sorts of shots and that comes from talking to them about the party. Does the client talk about how they are a fun group when the EtOH starts to flow or not, etc.

I took a quick tour through the gallery:

#5 - nice ... she's going to love that one. Was her gown blue or do you have a color cast in this one?

#14 - I like the shot of the guys! Well done!thumb.gif

#78 - Shoe shot. This is a good candid. I might have taken the opportunity to engage her and ask her to pose her feet for another shot as well.

#81 - Priceless!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    you did okay. Some good shots and some average ones. The average ones could have been improved by fill flash and white balance adjustments.thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    HarringtonHarrington Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Thanks for the advice Scott! I will definitely remember what you said for my next wedding coming up tomorrow.
    Kevin Harrington | SmugMug | OnEdgePhoto
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Harrington wrote:
    575027215_Nrpvq-L.jpg

Fantastic. Absolutely great shot. You did very well, especially considering it was your first wedding and you were without flash.
  • Options
    harvey3harvey3 Banned Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Perfect for me! bowdown.gif

I like it... specially the solo bride.
    Its always a perfect subject the bride. :)

congratulation.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    This is a great set for your first! I love the color, all the photos *really* pop. They've got a character to them that many "first timers" photos don't have, but you seem to have nailed that already. Way to go!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Kevin, a few things:

1.) WOW. YOU are the kind of person who needs to pursue wedding photography full-time, compared to all those other "my first wedding!!" people out there who make you grimmace and feel sorry for the bride. Of course you were the 2nd shooter, but had this bride been on a near-zero budget for photography, I'd have trusted you without hesitation.

2.) Great eye for light, especially that bridesmaid headshot and the very first group shot. However, especially for that group shot, NEXT TIME you should rent a lens like the 35 1.4 or the 50 1.2... It would REALLY help the DOF for when you've got a bunch of nasty mottled highlights in the background...

3.) Ease up on the dreamy processing. On the one hand, YES you do want to gain experience with retouching and special effects, for when the time comes and the bride really wants to put a print on her wall, but in general you MUST try and pay attention to what special effects are "out of style", and at what point "perfect skin" begins to look a bit over the top. The 1st headshot is fantastic, but the last portrait is a bit much, for my tastes. Personally, I try and let a photo stand on it's own merits, a genuine smile or laugh should be more than enough when coupled with good exposure and white balance. (Of course like I said, when you're first trying to build a portfolio, and define / discover your own personal style, doing lots of editing and retouching and various special effects might be necessary. So either way, keep up the good work!)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Fantastic. Absolutely great shot. You did very well, especially considering it was your first wedding and you were without flash.

15524779-Ti.gif totally. Amazing Kevin, great job!! It doesn't hurt that Meg is so sweet and Baldy is generous with his gear. :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    First things first
    bowdown.gif thanks Scott for giving Kevin some really, really, really valuable feedback deal.gif
  • Options
    kerrbear76kerrbear76 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    If I shot that as my first wedding...
    I'd be beside myself (well I would be if I had a 5D markII anyway Laughing.gif). Super impressed!
    Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired- Robert Frost
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    bowdown.gif thanks Scott for giving Kevin some really, really, really valuable feedback deal.gif
    Just trying to give back a portion of what I've received.
  • Options
    MA-FOTOMA-FOTO Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Not a bad set at all.
    ditto on Scott's comments.

question: What was it like shooting w/ the 200mm f2.0?

I have heard lots a of good stuff about it and have seen some very nice shots.

I ask becasue they are not that common like the 70-200 f2.8 IS.

Later,
    Mark
    Drive 50D ~ 24-70 L ~ 85mm ~ 28mm ~ Tammy 17-50 mm ~ Stuff
    ~