Options

Recording to two cards on Canon

DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
edited August 17, 2016 in Cameras
I have a Canon D5 III. Can one set it to record images to both the SD and CF card at the same time? I want to be able to hand off a CF card after a shoot while retaining the SD, with out extra work to transfer images externally.

Don
Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 19, 2016
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    I have a Canon D5 III. Can one set it to record images to both the SD and CF card at the same time? I want to be able to hand off a CF card after a shoot while retaining the SD, with out extra work to transfer images externally.

Don
    Yup, I do it all the time. Open the first "wrench" menu, then select the first entry "Record func+card...". Then under Record Func, choose "Rec. to multiple". Not sure what you're shooting, but keep in mind your burst rate will be limited by the slower of the two cards (usually the SD card).
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2016
    Thank you...bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

I rarely do burst and definitely not when I do the two cards.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 19, 2016
    You're very welcome, Don. The other mode that's useful is "record separately". You can record for example RAWs to one card and small JPGs to another. Then you can give the small JPG card to your client and voila, they have an instant proofs gallery. The other thing you can do with that setting is put an Eye-Fi card in the SD slot and route small JPGs to that for live proofing on your tablet, cell phone, etc. You can probably tell I really love the dual slots. deal.gif
  • Options
    FromillFromill New member Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2016
    I find it so easy now.. just browsing and looking for some ideas .. then this one stopped me.. Thanks for the info's. great help!
  • Options
    FromillFromill New member Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2016
    kdog wrote: »
    You're very welcome, Don. The other mode that's useful is "record separately". You can record for example RAWs to one card and small JPGs to another. Then you can give the small JPG card to your client and voila, they have an instant proofs gallery. The other thing you can do with that setting is put an Eye-Fi card in the SD slot and route small JPGs to that for live proofing on your tablet, cell phone, etc. You can probably tell I really love the dual slots. deal.gif

I found your ideas really helpful! Thanks! I just got my Canon D5 III and wanted to record images. Thanks for this anyway! :)thumb.gif