My brief tale of a Canon 5D Mark III

13»

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited October 6, 2016
    Thanks for the tip, IIRC she's using an older version so checking into that now. Plus it's an easy test since I can just process one on mine with the latest LR CC.

She can also try one of several free/open-source software available for processing RAW files. The one I recommend most, as well as being among the most capable and most updated, is RawTherapee.

RawTherapee downloads
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2016
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    She can also try one of several free/open-source software available for processing RAW files. The one I recommend most, as well as being among the most capable and most updated, is RawTherapee.

RawTherapee downloads

thumb.gif

And I linked her to this thread to check out your previous post.

Dec 1, 2016, our church hosted the local Seasonal Sights and Sounds Concert, a community-wide free concert open to any local church or individual to share a holiday themed presentation. This year was busier than most and I had my hands full as the recordist plus moving microphones, props and helping with source media, some brought in moments before the thing started. Fortunately, the systems held up pretty well despite the mayhem and it was a very nice concert overall.

Towards the end I felt pretty confidant and tried a few captures with the 5D Mark III. I liked this one especially since it was at ISO 6400. The bright colors are often muted at high-ISO, but the 5D3 was able to display accurate tones despite the conditions. This was at: 135mm (prime) f5.6, 1/200th, ISO 6400. Bounce flash plus ambient (daylight fluorescent). Metering was Aperture priority, Center weighted average, no EC. (Accurate exposure)

ziggy53
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins

THAT SAID... am I the only one who feels that skintones on the II were more pleasing? I find that the III tends to be a bit more to orange, and still haven't quite figured that out. (Of course, the week after I got my III my monitor died and had to be replaced - still calibrated, of course - so I've never been quite sure which is the change that I'm noticing!!!)

If you do custom camera profiles using the xrite passport color checker your colors will snap back to what you saw. I sent you a PM with a link that shows how to do this. For others that might be interested in this the link is https://youtube.com/watch?v=mW8vELDb9Eo

GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Thanks, Gary.

The back row does have a warm cast because there are two halogen spot lights from above at that location. (The lights are there mostly to allow the pastor to see paper stuff.) The rest of the church has daylight balanced fluorescent and I used bounced flash, so the front row looks reasonably natural to me.

I do have an x-rite ColorChecker Passport Photo target, but didn't use that for this event. Just no time and photography wasn't a priority. This was the only group I had time to shoot that night. (I was working sound and stage setup.)

ziggy53

Gran Canaria - Canary Islands In Bloom [Cinematic Canon EOS 5D Mark III Magic Lantern RAW Video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9fcQKwIjKY

ziggy53