Tether Question

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited April 9, 2016 in Cameras
Has anyone used a long, 16' or longer active USB cable to tether to a Canon 5D III?

I have looked at specs but wanted to see if anyone had any real world experience.

Thanks!!

Sam

Comments

• FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2016
    Sorry, no Canon, but I have used two 12' extension with a 6' on a Nikon, without trouble. They were what Cables2Go call "Active" extension, not quite sure what that means, but I had no problems. I've used those several times to get my camera outside and still to my desktop (just for convenience).

I'd bet they both by USB parts from the same China factory. mwink.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Sorry, no Canon, but I have used two 12' extension with a 6' on a Nikon, without trouble. They were what Cables2Go call "Active" extension, not quite sure what that means, but I had no problems. I've used those several times to get my camera outside and still to my desktop (just for convenience).

I'd bet they both by USB parts from the same China factory. mwink.gif

Thanks for the first hand experience.

At least I know one camera can transfer images over that distance. Worth taking a chance now.

Sam
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 3, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    They were what Cables2Go call "Active" extension, not quite sure what that means, but I had no problems.
    An active cable has electronics in the plugs that makes up for the signal loss that can occur over a long distance. Assuming it's of decent quality, there's no reason an active cable shouldn't work just fine for tethering.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2016
    Update
    I bought a 16' active USB cable and connected it to my existing 10' cable and it works like a charm. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Sam