Options

Field Cricket Grillus campestris Female

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited December 24, 2014 in Holy Macro
I had never seen one of these before and this one was in perfect condition, as though freshly-emerged.

In September I was photographing shot-horned grasshoppers on an infrequently-cut lawn (grass ca. 10cm tall) at our hotel in central Corsica. Then I saw a black shape moving through the grass close to my knee. I though it was a huge cockroach.

I had to remove it from the grass to have any chance of a picture so I picked it up, only then realising that it was a cricket, a huge one. I placed on a sand/stoney area of ground and took quite a few shots, all the time expecting it to fly away. The best it seemed to be able to do was to large itself sideways in a large crevice at the base of a stone wall, which is where I eventually left it.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/species-of-the-day/biodiversity/endangered-species/gryllus-campestris/

EM-1 (manual mode), Kiron 105mm macro, hand-held, 1/100 or 1/125 ISO 640 (last one ISO 800), sunlight.

The blur in the first image is the OOF right antenna.

Harold

1068555.jpg?ts=1418986949

1068556.jpg?ts=1418986949

1068559.jpg?ts=1418986949

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    Love #3!! Like a macro abstract! Wonderful!
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Love #3!! Like a macro abstract! Wonderful!

Thanks.

I liked the way the wing venation was visible.

Harold
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2014
    Lovely captures Harold- Wonderful pattern on it's back
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2014
    Lovely captures Harold- Wonderful pattern on it's back
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

Yes, I really like that too. It took me ages to polish it to that shine! :D

Harold
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited December 23, 2014
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2014
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    COOL! how big was it Harold?

Phil,

It seemed huge. The blackness and the way it stretched out probably made it look bigger than it was. The size is given, in one book, as 18-23mm

The problem is that it is actually G. bimaculatus, which gets a mention in the text of my various books covering European insects but is not illustrated. The difference is the colour pattern but mostly that the front wings (shiny+ black) leave 2-3 segments of the abdomen exposed. I tried to edit the name in this topic but could not.

I have now, after a long search, found the size. A dealer who offers cultured ones gives the maximum size as 30mm.

Harold