Options

Scarlet Caterpillar Club Cordyceps militaris

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited December 18, 2014 in Holy Macro
These are the fruiting bodies of a fungus feeding on a dead caterpillar below the surface of the ground.

Read about it here:

http://www.first-nature.com/fungi/cordyceps-militaris.php#

You may have seem similar outgrowths from exposed insects, including ant, from tropical habitats.

In China C. sinensis "Worm Grass" is dried and sold as a health supplement for treating inflammation, etc.

These were in an area of infrequently cut grass. The clubs were about 50mm long.

EM-1, Kiron 105mm macro, 1/25, probably f11, ISO 400, sunlight.

Harold

1067660.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2014
    Thanks for the education! Would not have guessed that even with million tries!:D
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2014
    Thanks. To be honest, I would have known it was a fungus but, although I was aware of the genus, I would probably have put it down as an Ascomycete. But I would have taken the picture just the same. This time I had the advantage of being with experts. I have stayed away from such organised forays in the past, having found that taking decent photos was incompatible with keeping up with the group and the commentary. This year I am official group photographer and some effort is made to accommodate my needs.

Harold
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2014
    Wonderful find and info Harold
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2014
    Wonderful find and info Harold
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

It was in an area where these were numerous and my first impression was that it was a stage of one of them:

http://www.eakringbirds.com/eakringbirds5/fungiinfocusclavulinopsishelvola.htm

Once more, the advantage of being with experts.

Harold