My Upload Problems persist

spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
edited October 10, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,

I am still experiencing problems with my uploads. I first posted about this on 9/16. And while it sounds like you've fixed a lot of problems, I wanted to post and let you know that my upload problem has not been fixed.

I used to be able to start an upload of 200 files and walk away and come back later and they would be done. For years, this worked for me. I didn't care how long it took, it never failed.

Now the upload fails several times in the middle of my batch. Tonight it failed first after 30 files. So I started it again and it failed after 4 files. And I have 300 files I am trying to upload. I realize you are making some changes, but I am hoping this is resolved soon. These upload failures are beginning to affect the commitments I have made to my clients.

The error I get when the upload stops is this:

"java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error"

Here's my info:
trishtunney.smugmug.com
firefox v1.5.0.7
the drop and drag uploader
i've tried the log out cookie clearing thing with no luck

here's a tracert:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert smugmug.com

Tracing route to smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 7 ms 7 ms 6 ms home [192.168.1.254]
2 19 ms 17 ms 17 ms adsl-67-112-123-254.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net [67.1
12.123.254]
3 18 ms 23 ms 17 ms dist2-vlan50.pltn13.pbi.net [64.164.97.67]
4 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms bb2-g3-0.pltnca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.43.56]
5 20 ms 19 ms 19 ms bb1-p5-0.crscca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.240.137]

6 22 ms 19 ms 19 ms ex2-p5-0.eqsjca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.41.109]
7 24 ms 22 ms 19 ms unknown.sjc.scnet.net [66.225.245.237]
8 20 ms 21 ms 25 ms ge0-3-0.j1.sjc.scnet.net [64.202.104.230]
9 24 ms 20 ms 19 ms pri.r1-ge0-2-eq-sj.smugmug.com [206.223.117.70]

10 21 ms 25 ms 25 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]

Trace complete.

Let me know if you need anything else. And please let me know if there is a solution to this problem coming soon.

Thanks so much for all your hard work!!!
Trish

Comments

• spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    a clue?
    Not sure if this is a clue, but I gave up on the drop and drag uploader and went back to using Send to smugmug. This upload has not yet failed and I'm up to file #75. Maybe my problem is with the drop and drag uploader.

There are 200 more files to go, I'll let you know.

I do have one problem where send to smugmug uploads my files to the wrong gallery. But it's not much to move them back to the right place.

cheers,
    Trish
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Trish:

I can't help other than to tell you I had similar problems, and when I did a bit of research, found that this was a frequently reported problem with other java tools, not just smugmug's. Could never find a solution, only that it was fairly common complaint, both at smugmug and beyond.

Not to be a shill, but I have eliminated all my issues, and now my uploads are completely stress and worry free. I just upload and forget about it. I can upload to multiple galleries at once, and if there is a connection problem or other issue, uploads automatically resume (even if my PC crashes!). Also, most times I start an upload, then go to bed. My PC automatically shuts down when the upload is completed.

As you can guess, I no longer use the Smugmug tools, but instead, use Star*Explorer. No, I really didn't want to pay $$ to upload photos, and resisted for a long time, but I am very glad I did. (think of the time you will save in not having to write Dgrin posts about uploading issues!). And its only $15. Give it a try.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    Not sure if this is a clue, but I gave up on the drop and drag uploader and went back to using Send to smugmug. This upload has not yet failed and I'm up to file #75. Maybe my problem is with the drop and drag uploader.

There are 200 more files to go, I'll let you know.

I do have one problem where send to smugmug uploads my files to the wrong gallery. But it's not much to move them back to the right place.

cheers,
    Trish
    Hi Trish - we're hoping to have an improvement to the D&D soon - with some improved error handling. So this is good info you gave us.

The thing that's annoying as heck, is that this uploader works for zillions of folks but when it doesn't, finding out exactly why, is tough.

Stay tuned and glad STS is working for you.
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Trish - we're hoping to have an improvement to the D&D soon - with some improved error handling. So this is good info you gave us.

The thing that's annoying as heck, is that this uploader works for zillions of folks but when it doesn't, finding out exactly why, is tough.

Stay tuned and glad STS is working for you.

Alright then. I'll just stop using the drop and drag until I hear something.

cmason, thanks for the tip. I used the start explorer years ago with success (I own it). I moved over to 'send to smugmug' because of the interface. But it's good to know I have another backup tool in case I need it.

cheers,
    Trish
  • HosieggHosiegg Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 10, 2006
    ...and mine too
    I've been trying for over a week now to upload files that people are waiting on. Sometimes I can get two or three uploaded, and then the process aborts.

AG
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Hosiegg wrote:
    I've been trying for over a week now to upload files that people are waiting on. Sometimes I can get two or three uploaded, and then the process aborts.

AG
    Hello Hosie, I'm sorry you are having troubles. We need more details, and you can provide them here, or for direct service, to help@smugmug.com

* which uploader
    * what Operating System and browser and version of the browser?
    * exactly what's happening, what steps, what errors
    * can you upload successfully with Olde Faithful? (test that, as a control please).
    * are you certain the files are JPGs, under 8mb (power and standard acct) or 16 mb (pro account)?

We'll help, we promise!
  • jmpsmashjmpsmash Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    i have had that problem before. however, as for the past week or two after they added the load balancer, i have not had any failed upload before.

sorry i wasn't of any help, but at least it is one more data point.