*ENTRY* Thread DSS #74 (Eyes Wide Shut) CLOSED

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited April 20, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #74

Welcome to Round #74 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, April 4th, 10:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, April 19th, 10:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Eyes Wide Shut
This theme has been devised to stimulate your imagination. You can photograph anything that implies a scene or how a scene makes you feel from any one of Stanley Kubrick's movies. My favorite aspect about a Stanley Kubrick movie is his use of primary and secondary colors such as red, blue, green and yellow to describe certain objects or bathe scenes in a recurring color theme like he did in Eyes Wide Shut, using the colors red and blue. How you choose to depict your own composition is up to you.

There are no editing restrictions in this round

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some recent modifications

Comments

• WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    I do not see many movies, so I thought I might have to watch one for this challenge. But I see that Kubrick directed Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket, all of which I have seen. Maybe a trip to Mt. Hood is in order. :D
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    DId not have time to do RUSH. But have a 11 hour drive to think about this one.
    Thanks Sean this one this a mind stretcher.headscratch.gif
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Hm, I wonder if NASA would let me borrow a rocket... :D

Interesting theme, Sean! I had to study Kubrick as part of a film class back in college (alongside Lynch and Spielberg). Watching 2001 after Blue Velvet certainly leaves an impression. eek7.gif
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Llywellyn wrote: »
    Hm, I wonder if NASA would let me borrow a rocket... :D

Interesting theme, Sean! I had to study Kubrick as part of a film class back in college (alongside Lynch and Spielberg). Watching 2001 after Blue Velvet certainly leaves an impression. eek7.gif

"BLue Velvet" seriously messed with my mind!
    Now to go chop off an ear and throw it in a field and have ants gnaw on it:) and shoot it. Pretty.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    So is the theme Eyes Wide Shut or Stanley Kubrick?
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Very nice!
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    So is the theme Eyes Wide Shut or Stanley Kubrick?

Last I looked it was "Eyes Wide Shut" but if I left it at that, without an explanation of what was expected, everyone would be scratching their head twice as hard as they are now. mwink.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 5, 2011
    well Sean, last night after you posted this theme I had to look up the film because I had never seen it. I was quite shocked at the plot of the film but I did come out of it with several ideas that are going to be work to try and put together. You are keeping me limber with your ideas!
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Who's Stanley Kubrick? {{{{{opens up google}}}}}}} mwink.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    This theme is fantastic. So many routes to go with this one, I'm excited already.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    "BLue Velvet" seriously messed with my mind!

Yeah, I did not become a David Lynch fan after that class. A Clockwork Orange effectively did the same for me with Kubrick. :twitch
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 5, 2011
    well I got my entry in. Spent most of the day putting this one together! Quite a difficult theme!
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Holy Smokes - I barely even had time to think about it! I love your entry and can't wait to see the rest. This is truly a challenge in every sense of the word~
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Just a note: I do realize that Kubrick has made some very controversial movies. Emotions and the human condition always play very strong roles in great imagery. Just please remember to keep things family friendly.

I am happy so see a positive response to this one.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited April 5, 2011
    JAG wrote: »
    well I got my entry in. Spent most of the day putting this one together! Quite a difficult theme!

Wow! Quick work and amazing entry! clap.gif
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    JAG wrote: »

:jawdrop That was fast! You truly amaze me sometimes Joyce...
    and I am trying to figure out how to watch that many movies quick enough to get ideas. ne_nau.gif
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    Just a note: I do realize that Kubrick has made some very controversial movies. Emotions and the human condition always play very strong roles in great imagery. Just please remember to keep things family friendly.

I am happy so see a positive response to this one.

Kubrick! Wow! Thanks for that one Sean!
    tom wise
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    I need a day off of work for this one.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    dnie wrote: »
    and I am trying to figure out how to watch that many movies quick enough to get ideas. ne_nau.gif

I don't really think you have to. Though watching Eyes Wide Shut might be in order. I think overall, from what little I know of him, I'd Shoot from the gut. Something visceral, and work on pleasing the self....right up your alley I'll bet!
    tom wise
    edited April 6, 2011
    OH man I just got an idea that will have to wait til the weekend to make happen.
    This attempt will be so hit or miss! I think this entire challenge will be hit or miss.

Way to think outside the box.clap.gif

EDIT: Whether I nail it or completely miss, or be somewhere in the middle--just fyi, I haven't been this excited about a challenge in a bit.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    For those who weren't aware, Kubrick started his career as a photographer for Look magazine in the late 40's. So, the circle is complete, or something. :-D
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    I have so many ideas for this, and just the right props! :D
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
    edited April 6, 2011
    silversx80 wrote: »
    I have so many ideas for this, and just the right props! :D

"just the right props"! I gotta say that makes me worry about you rolleyes1.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    "just the right props"! I gotta say that makes me worry about you rolleyes1.gif.

You and my wife would get along just fine rolleyes1.gif
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »

I had forgotten which movie this was until I googled it - if the entries get too racy, you can always move the contest to Go Figure mwink.gif
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    This is a fascinating challenge, but my one fear is that people might not get the connection between some of the entries and the theme. I think we might have to give each other the benefit of the doubt on this, unless we all need multi-paragraph explanations to go with our images :)
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    johnloguk wrote: »
    this is a fascinating challenge, but my one fear is that people might not get the connection between some of the entries and the theme. I think we might have to give each other the benefit of the doubt on this, unless we all need multi-paragraph explanations to go with our images :)

+1
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I got 24 minutes into "A Clockwork Orange"... wow... just can't get through that one.
    edited April 7, 2011
    I went to The Strand today to get a book on him, this challenge has me intrigued and regardless of my entry, I want to learn more.

The funny thing is, I got there and the sales guy says "what the hell is going on w/ Kubrick?" then he yells "Stanley, another Kubrick question?!" to no one in particular. We get to the shelf and it's nearly empty where the books normally rest eek7.gif.

Coincidence?! yea probably, but it's a funny coincidence.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    johnloguk wrote: »
    This is a fascinating challenge, but my one fear is that people might not get the connection between some of the entries and the theme. I think we might have to give each other the benefit of the doubt on this, unless we all need multi-paragraph explanations to go with our images :)

I, for one, would actually welcome the chance to see a paragraph written by the photographer regarding his or her image...this challenge is so fascinating that I really want to understand what element/theme/imagery of Kubrick's work each photographer explored.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to see the explanation right next to the photograph...I want the chance to develop my own reaction to the art. Maybe a separate thread? Just an idea...

Boy I hope I have time to do this...I've got an idea buzzing around in my head...