DSS #60 C&C Please

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited October 2, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Didn't come out exactly as I saw it in my mind's eye, but its also not too far off. All critiques are most welcome!

1025615135_awUA7-M.jpg
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    Trippy! They look almost see-thru!
    tom wise
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    interesting, but something about the texture of the boots seems off. Darker maybe?
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Thanks for the comments. Sorry I've been MIA (not that you were missing me), but had a bunch of other stuff going on.

Can I ask what is most lacking in this picture? Is it the technical side of things? Like post processing, DOF, lighting?

Or does the image not really convey anything? I'm trying to express some imagery to the viewer. A subtle hint of undressing the bedroom, which is for me a softer image, yet with the boots, you get kind of something a little different. Kind of hard to explain in words for me, thus the image.

Anyway, I know its not the greatest image, I'm just trying to focus in on what parts are the worst of it. Composition or execution?
  • JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Trippy! They look almost see-thru!

I agree with Tom... when I first looked at the shot I thought they were made of glass... I like the composition, and the bokeh is nice too, but maybe there is something you can do to take the highlights off the boots so they look more natural?
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    Okay, first of all, I love the lighting and the comp. The texture of the carpet is more pronounced though than the texture of the leather, which is what you are trying to capture. Nail the texture on the boots.

Second, the photo angle is interesting, but the bed frame is slanted which throws it all off somehow.

Those are my thoughts (since you asked).
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    Thanks everybody for the continued feedback. I did a little of this and a little of that. Is this better or worse? Is it still monochrome you think?

1029184967_GXXmB-M.jpg
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    It is still monochrome. And you have taken care of some of the nits. So definitely better. I like the lighting better in this one.

There is still a lot of detail in the carpet. It might work better if you could shoot on a wood floor. I am guessing that would be difficult. :D And in the detail of the boots the stitching is light where I expect it to be dark. Is that just the way the boots are or is it something about the way the boots were lit?

I like the simple wooden bed frame and the story. And the DOF is great.