Sidebar background

dwdivazonadwdivazona Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited September 30, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
I have a left sidebar with a black background that I want to extend to the bottom of every screen it is shown on. For some reason, the black background stops about half an inch above the bottom of the screen. I am using the turbo theme and I don't see anywhere to change this in the customization menus to ensure that this happens. I have not published the site yet but I would think that in the preview, it would appear the way I wanted it and it is not. How can I adjust this?

Comments

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    Since you have not unveiled your site, it's really hard to help you.

I'm not using that theme, sorry.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    As far as I can tell, the sidebar on the Turbo design isn't intended to go all the way to the bottom. Depending on the browser / screen size, it may get close to the bottom, but will stop short of the footer. I'm not sure if there's any CSS to have it cover the footer as well. Hopefully, someone else knows.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    dwdivazona wrote: »
    I have a left sidebar with a black background that I want to extend to the bottom of every screen it is shown on. For some reason, the black background stops about half an inch above the bottom of the screen. I am using the turbo theme and I don't see anywhere to change this in the customization menus to ensure that this happens. I have not published the site yet but I would think that in the preview, it would appear the way I wanted it and it is not. How can I adjust this?

Do you see the "hosted by Smugmug" phrase at the bottom of your site (right side I think).
    If so, that may be the answer. There is code to hide that but I don't know where to find it. Someone else may chime in.
  • dwdivazonadwdivazona Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 16, 2014
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I have now published the site so you can see what I mean.

http://stanimalsports.com

There is a great deal of extra space at the bottom of every page below the "Hosted by SmugMug" and I don't know how to get to the HTML of the page to remove it. I have looked at all of the customization menus but I don't see anywhere to adjust this. Someone mentioned above that the Turbo theme doesn't allow for the menu to reach the bottom of the screen but it seems that I have seen sites around this forum that use the same theme and the sidebar is seamless. What am I missing??
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2014
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I have now published the site so you can see what I mean.

http://stanimalsports.com

There is a great deal of extra space at the bottom of every page below the "Hosted by SmugMug" and I don't know how to get to the HTML of the page to remove it. I have looked at all of the customization menus but I don't see anywhere to adjust this. Someone mentioned above that the Turbo theme doesn't allow for the menu to reach the bottom of the screen but it seems that I have seen sites around this forum that use the same theme and the sidebar is seamless. What am I missing??

I'm pretty sure the solution is to hide the "powered by SM". My site uses Turbo, I hide the phrase, and my left side sidebar goes all the way to the bottom.
    edited August 17, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the solution is to hide the "powered by SM". My site uses Turbo, I hide the phrase, and my left side sidebar goes all the way to the bottom.

That isn't the problem.

To the OP, you set these both in red to '0' in those two widgets:
    .sm-page-widget-7370488 .sm-page-widget-content {
        margin-bottom: [COLOR=Red]24[/COLOR]px;
        }
    .sm-page-widget-7370487 .sm-page-widget-content {
        margin-bottom: [COLOR=Red]300[/COLOR]px;
        }    

You can remove the Smugmug stuff, but I don't think that's going to remove the extra space.
    .sm-page-powered-by a {
        display: none;
        }

• dwdivazonadwdivazona Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2014
    Hikin' Mike, you are the man! Thank you so much. It did the trick!
    edited August 17, 2014
    Hikin' Mike, you are the man! Thank you so much. It did the trick!

Glad it worked. thumb.gif

• Dupont24Dupont24 Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2014
    That isn't the problem.

To the OP, you set these both in red to '0' in those two widgets:
    .sm-page-widget-7370488 .sm-page-widget-content {
        margin-bottom: [COLOR=Red]24[/COLOR]px;
        }
    .sm-page-widget-7370487 .sm-page-widget-content {
        margin-bottom: [COLOR=Red]300[/COLOR]px;
        }    

You can remove the Smugmug stuff, but I don't think that's going to remove the extra space.
    .sm-page-powered-by a {
        display: none;
        }

Where do I add this code to and which one. You have two of them.
    :clap Canon 40D and Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS EF USM, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS EF-S (USM), Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, Canon 50mm 1.8, and Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Bounce

dome.http://moreno24.smugmug.com/
    edited August 18, 2014
    Dupont24 wrote: »
    Where do I add this code to and which one. You have two of them.

That's for his issue, not yours.
  • LensTrippingLensTripping Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2014
    Hello...I'm really sorry to hijack someone else's post, but I am currently going through a trial and chose Turbo for the fact that in the little thumbnail the sidebar goes the full height of the screen. However, in reality it doesn't (no matter what browser I use)...it stops at the hard coded area for the footer section. So I switched to Dina and the same problem. I asked the SmugMug team and they said that there is no theme where the sidebar goes the full height of the page....so I started doing some digging here and found this post. Where do I go to make these code changes to the theme? If I can find a fix to the sidebar issue I might be able to focus on playing with more of my trial, but this whole sidebar issue bugs me to no end....some OCD must be kicking in. =)
    edited September 23, 2014
    Hello...I'm really sorry to hijack someone else's post, but I am currently going through a trial and chose Turbo for the fact that in the little thumbnail the sidebar goes the full height of the screen. However, in reality it doesn't (no matter what browser I use)...it stops at the hard coded area for the footer section. So I switched to Dina and the same problem. I asked the SmugMug team and they said that there is no theme where the sidebar goes the full height of the page....so I started doing some digging here and found this post. Where do I go to make these code changes to the theme? If I can find a fix to the sidebar issue I might be able to focus on playing with more of my trial, but this whole sidebar issue bugs me to no end....some OCD must be kicking in. =)

Without seeing your site, I can only guess. For your question, go to:

'Customize > Customize Site > Entire Site > Theme > "Wrench Icon" > Advance". Go to the bottom and click 'CSS > Edit'. Put the code there.

• LensTrippingLensTripping Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2014
    Without seeing your site, I can only guess. For your question, go to:

'Customize > Customize Site > Entire Site > Theme > "Wrench Icon" > Advance". Go to the bottom and click 'CSS > Edit'. Put the code there.

Sorry for the delay Hikin' Mike, but thank you for the response. Unfortunately when I put the sidebar code into my CSS code area it doesn't change anything for the length of my sidebar. :nono

My test site is http://test-site.smugmug.com

Julie