Anything I should NOT miss in my southwest trip (AZ/UT/CO)

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited September 22, 2010 in Landscapes
heading to the above states in 2 weeks. Driving from Chicago. So, will be hitting the following, just wondering if anything I should not miss here:

Chicago->Colorado Springs (Sister lives there so night 1 there)
Garden of the Gods @ Sunrise, over the mountains to Aspen (Peter Lik Gallery)
Maroon Bells in Aspen (1 night)
Arches (2 nights)
Canyonlands-Needles District (1 night)
Mexican Hat/Monument Valley (1 night)
Grand Canyon (north Rim) 1 night
Escalante/Grand Staircase - 1 night
Bryce - 2 night
Goblin Valley State Park (1 night) - the one I'm not 100% sure about at this point...
Colorado National Monument (1 night)
Black Canyon of the Gunnison back in CO - 1 night
Great Sand Dunes NP (CO) - 1 night

Yeah, I skipped Zion, and Capitol Reef, although I'll be driving through Capitol Reef on the way to Goblin Valley... Dunno, Zion just didn't appeal to me as much as Bryce did and there is so much (or it seems) to see in Bryce. Then again, it might end up being 1 night in Bryce if we do more at Arches or Canyonlands. Dunno, this is my second trip to the southwest. I've been to Arches/Canyonland, but didn't take a hell of a lot of pictures last time (clueless why I didn't) and the first time for my companion. She's ok with going anywhere.. long as she's out of the house for 2 weeks. lol. But I'm just wondering as a first introduction to the southwest if I should skip/add anything. I'm not really sure about Goblin Valley.. Seems cool, but, something that I'll had already seen at Bryce? Or not so much? Doesn't seem so, but, I've never been so... yeah, I need help!

Thanks

Comments

• misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    I was stationed in Colorado (Colorado Springs) and Garden of the Gods is AWESOME!
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    misterb wrote: »
    I was stationed in Colorado (Colorado Springs) and Garden of the Gods is AWESOME!

Yeah, I lived in Denver for 3 years, so I know all about GOG.. just didn't pay much attention to stuff outside the state, then again, didn't get heavy into photography until I was about ready to leave.. so yeah...
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    Yeah, I lived in Denver for 3 years, so I know all about GOG.. just didn't pay much attention to stuff outside the state, then again, didn't get heavy into photography until I was about ready to leave.. so yeah...

If you are passing near Page Arizona near Lake Powell you should check out Antelope Canyon. Awesome slot canyon for photography.

815682475_rP6gx-L.jpg

815681392_G7aJU-L.jpg
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    You have a good itinerary there. On the other hand, there may be room for a few tweaks.

Will you be hiking, or pretty much shooting from viewpoints? No shame in either mind you, I'll do either depending on how much time I have. If you hike, I feel that Zion hands-down has more to offer than Bryce. However, I've only done view-point shooting at Bryce, so maybe I'm just ignorant. Previous to my last trip to Zion, I'd only done viewpoint shooting there as well. For view point shooting, I agree that Bryce is better. However, on my last trip, I hooked up with a local (AaronNelson) who showed me and another Dgrinner around and we did a lot of hiking. That changed my tune in a hurry about Zion. It is an amazing place. Perhaps I need to get somebody to take me hiking in Bryce as well. But I still have a hard time envisioning how Bryce could be better than Zion. Zion has a LOT of water falls and rocky streams that make for good photo ops. Bryce has those cool spires, but they seem a bit repetitive after a while, at least from the view points. I certainly welcome opposing arguments, as I'm here to learn as well.

Goblin Valley has totally different rock formations than Bryce. Again, my time there was limited, so we didn't do any deep hikes. It was pretty cool though, and I'd love to go back there some time in the sweet-light hours. Still, I'm not sure you'd want to spend more than a half a day there.

Here are a few pics to illustrate my points.

Zion
    690523726_aJHvi-XL-1.jpg

695156494_mJWbk-L-1.jpg

694267591_5VdpL-L-1.jpg

695865333_B6cxd-L-1.jpg

Goblin Valley
    IMG_8717.jpg

Watch out for the wide-angle CP effect. rolleyes1.gif
    IMG_8689.jpg

IMG_8653.jpg
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    WOW Joel, those are awesome landscape compositions bowdown.gif
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    While in Arches, be sure to hike up to Delicated Arch for sunset shots. It's very touristy and the photos are cliche', but the hike and experience of sitting around the bowl is awesome....take a bottle of wine, cheese and crackers.....and don't forget the flashlight.

Also, the shorter hike to the lower viewpoint is pretty spectacular and you won't end up with a cliche' photo.

I'm also camping at Colorado NM on my way down to southern Colorado for fall photography hitting many of the spots you listed.

I agree with kdog about Zion....do try to work it in. You can shoot Bryce for sunset, then sunrise, then your outa there.

Have fun.
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    bgarland wrote: »
    If you are passing near Page Arizona near Lake Powell you should check out Antelope Canyon. Awesome slot canyon for photography.

I'm from Australia and just got back from a vacation around some of those places and lots more. I agree with bgarland - you've got to stop at Page! Antelope Canyon is incredible. Take the short hike to Horseshoe Bend too. Be sure to take a super wide angle lens and get there in the morning. The afternoon sun is terrible there!
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    I agree with prior comment that if you are into hiking, Zion is a wonderful place. Arches and Bryce are much more accessible via road/short walks.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...