Where to start??

JoshFinkJoshFink Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited March 28, 2007 in Cameras
Ok.. I'm hoping that I can get some direction from this great forum. I've always loved taking pictures but I've never had a "real" camera. More of an auto-focus point and shoot kind of guy. My wife and I are having our first child in September and well, I'm the kind of guy that loves to take a ton of pictures so I thought I really should be thinking ahead and get a good camera and learn to use more than the auto focus and flash.

Can anyone recommend a good camera to start with, under the $1000 range and one I can grow with. If I need to wait a month or two to get it because of new models, I can. I just want to be prepared with the best camera I can afford at the moment.

Also, any books or web sites to start reading up on?

Thanks for the help

Josh

Comments

• photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007

Thanks for the help

Josh[/QUOTE]

You have come to the right spot to seek advice. I would gladly tell you about the Nikon or Canon digital SLR's that are available now. I am a Nikon girl, so I would say to you have a look at the D80 or D40... Can be used as point and shoot, but you can also swap lenses if you decide to go further with photography...
    Megapixel.net is a very good site for camera reviews... All in all, I think that if you spend 500 dollar, you nowadays get a very good camera that can grow with you...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 22, 2007
    JoshFink wrote:
    Ok.. I'm hoping that I can get some direction from this great forum. I've always loved taking pictures but I've never had a "real" camera. More of an auto-focus point and shoot kind of guy. My wife and I are having our first child in September and well, I'm the kind of guy that loves to take a ton of pictures so I thought I really should be thinking ahead and get a good camera and learn to use more than the auto focus and flash.

Can anyone recommend a good camera to start with, under the $1000 range and one I can grow with. If I need to wait a month or two to get it because of new models, I can. I just want to be prepared with the best camera I can afford at the moment.

Thanks for the help

Josh

Josh,

Tons of information on the Internet that deals with digital cameras and dSLRs.

I like Steve's Digicams and DPReview for their reviews, and to make comparisons.

http://www.steves-digicams.com
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_digpro.html
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html
    http://dpreview.com/
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

In addition to the Nikon D40 and D80 cameras mentioned by photocat, Nikon also has the D50, which I think I would prefer over the D40, but they are both very capable.

Canon has the XT/350D and XTi/400D for entry level, and then the 30D for a more advanced model.

Pentax, Sony and Olympus all make fine dSLR cameras, but I suggest Canon or Nikon for more lens options in both name brand and third-party lenses and accessories. (Not to misunderstand, the Pentax, Sony-Minolta and Olympus lenses are comparable, just the breadth of options is greater in Nikon and Canon and compatible lenses.)

For interior work, you need to think about light, either electronic flash or available light. If you decide to get a flash unit, the least I would recommend is the Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285HV (the HV is very significant). The Sunpak is the prefered unit because it has both bounce/tilt and swivel capabilities.

This site is excellent for flash discussion:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    JoshFink wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good camera to start with, under the $1000 range and one I can grow with.

Josh

Josh, As I just went through this process I have sympathy for you. Personally I chose to go with a nikon system, but the canons are very good also. Get yourself down to your local camera shop if there is not one close a best buy works also. pick up and use both systems and find out which ones you are most comfortable with. My wife and I went to best buy and had the salesperson take out all the canon and nikon camera's. We then spent time with each camera looking at menus and actually holding the cameras to see what they were like to use. Between the two of us we liked the way the nikon's felt. It still took us a week to actually decide which nikon to get. As for books to read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is the one that was recommended to me when I asked the same question. If you do not know anything at all about exposure it will help you more than anything else you could get starting out. It is easy to read and has lots of go out and try it exercises that you can easily do. Good luck and enjoy the process of selecting your Camera.
    Carl
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    What type of memory card does your current P/S use....because i shoot out doors and in very coldweather at time I prefer a CF card (little bit larger than a book of matches) as to any of the SD card media, also because I hate to remove my gloves to change my memory cards.....so I made sure that my cameras all take CF cards......

Most importantly make sure that the body of the camera isn't too small for your hands....in the entry level realm, I don't think I saw the Nikon D70s mentioned....that would be agreat entry level camera with tons of room to grow........as Ziggy mentioned ..... a decent flash is going to be imperative for now and too save a little money one of the ttl Sunpacks, Sigmas will do you just fine....no need to get a camera brand flash to start with as you grow who knows what you'll decide......and read the instruction manual for what ever camera you purchase.....ask the mfg'er for a downloadable copy to study and read before purchasing the camera.

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JoshFinkJoshFink Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Wow.. Tons of responses... Very nice!!

Now, off to the reading... wings.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    JoshFink wrote:

Thanks for the help

Josh

Josh-
    I was in the same boat as you about 2 years ago. Bought a then-brand new Canon 350D and, soon after, a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Spent a few months learning to use them and, in November 2005, had a son to focus the camera at. Over 10,000 shots later and no regrets in going with this combo. In fact, you can get the 350d or the newer 400d with the 50mm f/1.8 lens for well under $1000. Add in a fast 2gb CF card and you will be all set.
    E
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    nice pictures! all 50 1.8?
    eoren1 wrote:
    Josh-
    I was in the same boat as you about 2 years ago. Bought a then-brand new Canon 350D and, soon after, a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Spent a few months learning to use them and, in November 2005, had a son to focus the camera at. Over 10,000 shots later and no regrets in going with this combo. In fact, you can get the 350d or the newer 400d with the 50mm f/1.8 lens for well under $1000. Add in a fast 2gb CF card and you will be all set.
    E

i took a peek at your gallery, some great photos there! are those all 50mm 1.8 shots?
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • sprogsprog Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2007
    All this talk of flash guns is not a good idea if the subject is going to be a new born baby, so personally I would read up on low light techniques.

I can recommend 'Night & Low-light Photography' by Lee Frost as a good read, it deals mainly with film photography but the techniques apply just as well to digital. Also the obligatory 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson, both authors are big fans of natural light and shun the use of flash whenever possible.

The Nikon D50 is a good foot on the DSLR ladder and is a very flexible camera, and thanks to the more recent D40x & D80 models can be bought at very reasonable prices. The Canon 350D is also very good value for money for similar reasons.
    edited March 25, 2007
    sprog wrote:
    All this talk of flash guns is not a good idea if the subject is going to be a new born baby, so personally I would read up on low light techniques.

Welcome to the Digital Grin.

I have 3 children, and none of them as infants was particularly alarmed or disturbed by electronic flash. Proper diffusion is part of the solution.

If I noticed the child was perturbed by the flash, then yes, I would recommend another means, but that wasn't my experience.

As teenagers, they were (and still are) a royal pain to work with, flash or not. :D (Dad, would you put that camera away. You already took "a" picture.)
    ziggy53
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    i took a peek at your gallery, some great photos there! are those all 50mm 1.8 shots?

Thanks for the kind words. There is a mix overall and I tried to tag the shots with the lens used. Most of the shots of people are with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 mk I. The landscapes are mostly with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. A few kit lens shots and Canon 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 zooms too.
    E
    edited March 25, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Welcome to the Digital Grin.

Thanks, and hello everyone.
    I have 3 children, and none of them as infants was particularly alarmed or disturbed by electronic flash. Proper diffusion is part of the solution.

I am still not convinced it is good for baby's eyes at such an early age, irrespective of how good or considerate a photographer is. I know as a child I used to feel physical pain from camera flashes during family get together photo-sessions, which may explain why I prefer low light photography. There's plenty of ambient light out there, it just takes a bit more effort to use it to the full.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    I tend to use the flash to suppliment ambient light rather than as a substitute for it. Typically I'll be shooting at ISO 800 and f/4 with the flash both diffused and at very low power. Many people don't even notice the flash fire. That said, if the ambient light is good, I'll use it. I wouldn't recommend popping a direct flash at a baby at 1/4 power, but a ceiling bounce at 1/64 power is much more gentle.
    edited March 26, 2007
    Back on topic to my original question... :D

Is there any advantage to waiting a couple of months than buying now? What I mean is are there newer models coming out that would help lower the prices of existing models?

Thanks

Josh
    edited March 27, 2007
    JoshFink wrote:
    Back on topic to my original question... :D

Is there any advantage to waiting a couple of months than buying now? What I mean is are there newer models coming out that would help lower the prices of existing models?

Thanks

Josh

*cough*

sprog wrote:
    The Nikon D50 is a good foot on the DSLR ladder and is a very flexible camera, and thanks to the more recent D40x & D80 models can be bought at very reasonable prices. The Canon 350D is also very good value for money for similar reasons.
  • fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    Nikon D50
    I bought a used D50 at Christmas. I bought mine with the 18-55 lens for $400. I later added the 55-200 and the 50 mm f/1.8 (which is an outstanding lens and one I recommend to take advantage of "no flash".). I was given an SB 600 for my 50th birthday in January. The combination is great. Add a difuser such as a lumiquest or similar.

I have been taking pix for years... I have two adult girls and hundreds of pictures on a old minolta film camera, then my gkids with a sony f707...

My suggestion is not to wait. Buy a camera now and practice, practice, practice. Kids of friends, everyone around... You will not want to learn how ot use your camera on the day of your child's birth :D. You will not want to miss a moment. Kids are too much fun to miss a moment... (It is great to have these pictures for when they get married and you do an animated show of their life... :ivar )

I suggest a low light lens... (the 50 mm 1.8 is cheap to purchase and very sharp).

My grandkids are used to a camera... I have thousands of pictures with them and capture everything I can.

congrats! thumb.gif
    frank
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com
    edited March 27, 2007
    Wow.. Thanks for all the replies.. I'm so torn.. I'm torn between wanting a great camera that will take great pictures and my wife saying that if I get that "big camera" that she won't use it because she's going to have all this other stuff to carry. She wants me to get another P&S for her to use...

Always something, huh? :D
    edited March 27, 2007
    fmkjr wrote:

My suggestion is not to wait. Buy a camera now and practice, practice, practice. Kids of friends, everyone around... You will not want to learn how ot use your camera on the day of your child's birth :D. You will not want to miss a moment. Kids are too much fun to miss a moment... (It is great to have these pictures for when they get married and you do an animated show of their life... :ivar )

I suggest a low light lens... (the 50 mm 1.8 is cheap to purchase and very sharp).

My grandkids are used to a camera... I have thousands of pictures with them and capture everything I can.

congrats! thumb.gif
    frank

15524779-Ti.gif Is it your mission to wait until that "perfect" camera arrives, or is it your goal to purchase something that you can use, take the time to learn how to use it, learn what accessories are required for "your" situation and then fine tune your technique so that you will be truly prepared when the moment arrives?

If you are waiting for that perfect camera, forget about it, it won't happen. Not this year. Not next year.

Dive in now. Purchase one of the entry level Nikon or Canon or Pentax or Olympus or Sony cameras, and then examine your style of shooting to determine your lens needs. Purchase the best lenses you can possibly afford, putting greatest emphasis on the most used lenses.

Purchase some electronic flash power to improve your results, learning the proper methods to achieve the results "you" desire.

Purchase and/or make (DIY) flash modifiers and light modifiers like reflectors, soft boxes, umbrellas, diffusers, flags, snoots, gobos and barn doors.

Study, learn, practice and apply. Make photography your passion now, because later, when that fateful day occurs, your child will become your passion. Your child will be your Universe, and you will want to be prepared.

OK, I exaggerate a little, and I lean towards the dramatic, but much of what I said was true. Don't wait too long, or you won't be prepared.

Ultimately you will make more of a difference than the equipment ..., "if" you know how to use it.
    ziggy53
    edited March 27, 2007
    Thanks Ziggy/Frank, I agree with you both that I need to get a camera within the next month or so and start learning.. :D

Josh
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    Josh,

Don't discount non-DSLR cameras out of hand. Canon, Kodak, Olympus and others make some great consumer level cameras with plenty of manual control, low light shooting, and even image stabilization. You can get a good camera without investing a ton of money in glass, carrying bags, and memory cards, while still getting plenty of creative control of your shots.

Great Camera and P&S are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    Just my .02
    edited March 27, 2007
    JoshFink wrote:
    Wow.. Thanks for all the replies.. I'm so torn.. I'm torn between wanting a great camera that will take great pictures and my wife saying that if I get that "big camera" that she won't use it because she's going to have all this other stuff to carry. She wants me to get another P&S for her to use...

Always something, huh? :D

If you have a P&S already, if you also get a dSLR, she would have a choice.

Show her images like these (I believe both are Canon 20D platforms):

http://www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com/gallery/1152600
    http://gogetphotos.com/gallery/1141118/1/53185610#53185610

... and explain that a P&S just doesn't offer the controls necessary for consistant quality.
    ziggy53
    edited March 27, 2007
    Josh,

Don't discount non-DSLR cameras out of hand. Canon, Kodak, Olympus and others make some great consumer level cameras with plenty of manual control, low light shooting, and even image stabilization. You can get a good camera without investing a ton of money in glass, carrying bags, and memory cards, while still getting plenty of creative control of your shots.

Great Camera and P&S are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    Just my .02

That's true too!

Look at the Fuji F30 (ISO 3200, usable ISO 1600) or the Canon G7 (I wish it had RAW like the G6).

These, and more like them, are so wonderful compared to the digital P&S cameras of even just a few years ago.

The options have never been greater.
    ziggy53
    edited March 28, 2007
    I was thinking about waiting around for the Sony W200 but who knows, I have a lot more research to do.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dscw200.asp

Josh