Options

Security & Sharing clarification request

uncooluncool Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited May 25, 2016 in SmugMug Support
In the Security & Sharing tab there are two sections:
Pending Acceptance and Has Access
Within these sections, the email address listed are displayed with an X or the term (inherited)

What do these terms (X and inherited) mean?

While Inherited seems to be obvious I have galleries that include my test email addresses that are designated with inherited yet when I log into that test account, that gallery is not in the Shared With Me listing. So what are they inheriting?

The galleries I am trying to control access to are all Unlisted if that makes any difference.

Any clarification would be appreciated.
Well every person you can know,
And every place that you can go,
And any thing that you can show,
You know they're nouns.

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2016
    Hi there,
    The X allows you to revoke a person's invitation or access. Inherited means that you granted the person access on a folder or site level. If you grant a person access at site / folder level, they would be able to see all folders, galleries, and pages within (with the exception of items set to "visibility - private").

If you have further questions on this, I would suggest that you contact us at our HelpDesk with specific links to the items in question.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited May 25, 2016
    The X allows you to revoke a person's invitation or access. Inherited means that you granted the person access on a folder or site level. If you grant a person access at site / folder level, they would be able to see all folders, galleries, and pages within (with the exception of items set to "visibility - private").
    It seems like inherited wouldn't work on unlisted galleries (and the OP specified unlisted galleries in the initial post). Wouldn't access at the folder level only give access to public galleries? Or does the sharing work differently?

--- Denise
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2016
    Hi Denise,
    Private sharing works differently. If you grant access to a folder, the guest can access all folders, galleries and pages within that folder, with the only exception being items set to visibility private.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited May 25, 2016
    Private sharing works differently. If you grant access to a folder, the guest can access all folders, galleries and pages within that folder, with the only exception being items set to visibility private.
    Thanks Sebastian - that's good to know.

--- Denise