Options

Question about best way to separate multiple equestrian riders (photos)

Damon016Damon016 Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited April 30, 2011 in SmugMug Support
Actually 2 part question.

1. My site (boring, I know) www.eyecanshoot.smugmug.com has a mess load of galleries. Cheerleading mainly. I want to put all of those cheer galleries into one "folder" so to speak. I have tried a couple of different things but maybe I am just not used to how the lay out is. It's easy on fotki, not so much here as I am not used to it.

I guess if I can get a full "detailed how to" on 1, then this question could be answered. But hoping for someone whom does equestrian "shows" that maybe able to give me some advice.:deal

I shoot equestrian shows, and I separate my photos by rider number. I want to create a folder for example (Horse Show 4/29/11) and that would contain all of the rider's photos in it separated by rider number. I do NOT want all of the folders to show up on the front page rather just the folder name "Horse Show 4/29/11". Once they click then it would go into each one. I maybe wrong but swore there was a piece of software that used to do that. My ex used to be my assistant and did this on her site, so now I am doing it on my own and I am an idiot lol...:dunno

Thanks in advance!

Oh, also any good free uploaders that can create galleries or do this? Like if I just pull over a folder full of photos called say "Rider 1", "Rider 2" will it automatically create those for me w/out having to create each one manually then pull photos over?

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    To the right of the "Galleries" title should be a clickable option that will change your gallery view to View by Category instead of a flat list of galleries. Select that. Then, you will see categories (folders as you called them). You can then properly categorize your galleries into the desired folders. You create categories in the control panel. You assign a gallery to a category in gallery settings for that gallery.

More info here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    To the right of the "Galleries" title should be a clickable option that will change your gallery view to View by Category instead of a flat list of galleries. Select that. Then, you will see categories (folders as you called them). You can then properly categorize your galleries into the desired folders. You create categories in the control panel. You assign a gallery to a category in gallery settings for that gallery.

More info here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo.

ill be damned =) I thought at one time I had that option avail, but again I thought maybe the ex had done something. Probably me being stupid (but, ill still blame her!) lol rolleyes1.gif

Now, how about a free uploader that I can just put a "horse show name" then drag over the 2400 photos over I have from another photo site that are already broken up into rider etc... Is there anything like that?

Thanks for your help, I know it was simple, but very helpful!thumb.gif
  • Options
    LindyLindy Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Hi Damon,

You do have a lot of cheer galleries, don't you! I see that you have set them up in their own custom categories. What you want to do might be as simple as a mouse click. In the upper right corner of your gallery display box, you can change the page to display categories, instead of galleries.

This will work well for your Equestrian galleries, too. Just create the category "Horse Show 4-29-11" (slashes don't work well) and add your galleries within it. After you've changed your homepage to display categories, your viewers will see it, instead of all of their galleries.

You do have the option to create subcategories. That's a level between categories and galleries.

Send to SmugMug is a great third party (Windows) uploader that will create galleries for you when you right click the folder your images are in. Look here, under uploaders: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps

If you need more personalized help, you can always email us on the help desk, too: http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

Hope this helps!
    Lindy
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    Lindy wrote: »
    Hi Damon,

You do have a lot of cheer galleries, don't you! I see that you have set them up in their own custom categories. What you want to do might be as simple as a mouse click. In the upper right corner of your gallery display box, you can change the page to display categories, instead of galleries.

This will work well for your Equestrian galleries, too. Just create the category "Horse Show 4-29-11" (slashes don't work well) and add your galleries within it. After you've changed your homepage to display categories, your viewers will see it, instead of all of their galleries.

You do have the option to create subcategories. That's a level between categories and galleries.

Send to SmugMug is a great third party (Windows) uploader that will create galleries for you when you right click the folder your images are in. Look here, under uploaders: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps

If you need more personalized help, you can always email us on the help desk, too: http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

Hope this helps!
    Lindy

I just downloaded that... I hope this works! :) I am pulling some 2000 photos all 8 megs a piece from my other site that I use and putting them on here... Thank god I pull down pretty quick, but the uploading of 20 gig is going to take all night (Growl....) lol

PS Thank you very much.... (crossing fingers software will work)
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    Okay, so now issues with send to smugmug
    I highlighted all of the folders and it only wants to do one at a time. That is going to be worthless for me for the amount of photos I have to upload. Is there any other software that can do all folders at once - and automatically create everything? Or do I have to pay for software for that. GOD if they had FTP!ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    Damon016 wrote: »
    I highlighted all of the folders and it only wants to do one at a time. That is going to be worthless for me for the amount of photos I have to upload. Is there any other software that can do all folders at once - and automatically create everything? Or do I have to pay for software for that. GOD if they had FTP!ne_nau.gif
    Star Explorer can create multiple galleries from folders. It does cost money, but not that much. I don't know of anything else that can do that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    Star Explorer can create multiple galleries from folders. It does cost money, but not that much. I don't know of anything else that can do that.

I have tried, even emailed support and no answer. I'm not going to pay money for something that doesn't work. It's as much a pain as smugmug is. Fotki is SO much easier to work with, and of course they have FTP's... I am paying monthly here and not really getting the simplicity which sucks.

It should not be that hard to drag my folder (which has ALL of the riders in it and photos in each respective rider's folder) over and it auto-create under the show category I made. I am just about over it......
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    I have tried, even emailed support and no answer. I'm not going to pay money for something that doesn't work. It's as much a pain as smugmug is. Fotki is SO much easier to work with, and of course they have FTP's... I am paying monthly here and not really getting the simplicity which sucks.

It should not be that hard to drag my folder (which has ALL of the riders in it and photos in each respective rider's folder) over and it auto-create under the show category I made. I am just about over it......
    Did you say you've tried Star Explorer? And had problems? It's not from Smugmug - it's a third party uploader. You can be mad all you want - I'm just trying to help here. Star Explorer is the only uploader I know of that will automatically create galleries from a directory structure of images.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2011
    Did you say you've tried Star Explorer? And had problems? It's not from Smugmug - it's a third party uploader. You can be mad all you want - I'm just trying to help here. Star Explorer is the only uploader I know of that will automatically create galleries from a directory structure of images.

Not mad at you =) Just saying it's not as easy as just dragging files over and file structure is created. Manually you have to create everything it seems... (shrugs)
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2011
    Not mad at you =) Just saying it's not as easy as just dragging files over and file structure is created. Manually you have to create everything it seems... (shrugs)
    I think you haven't found the feature yet. It's here. It will create galleries based on directory names. You can also mass create galleries by just typing one name per line in the multiple create dialog. I do it that way all the time for my sports events sub-categories/galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2011
    I think you haven't found the feature yet. It's here. It will create galleries based on directory names. You can also mass create galleries by just typing one name per line in the multiple create dialog. I do it that way all the time for my sports events sub-categories/galleries.

I did see that, but that is what I was having an issue with. I guess because a sub category wasn't created it kept wanting to dump all photos into that one folder vs. creating others... We will see how she loads up, just sucks - had to create 50 folders.. uploading 1800 photos.. then I have 6000 more to do over the next few days. Grrrrrheadscratch.gifrolleyes
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2011
    I did see that, but that is what I was having an issue with. I guess because a sub category wasn't created it kept wanting to dump all photos into that one folder vs. creating others... We will see how she loads up, just sucks - had to create 50 folders.. uploading 1800 photos.. then I have 6000 more to do over the next few days. Grrrrrheadscratch.gifrolleyes
    It's really, really easy to create lots of galleries in Star Explorer. You just go to the create multiple dialog and type one gallery name per line, pick the settings you want them all to have and it makes them all for you. You then, of course have to drag/drop images into each gallery, but Star Explorer will then upload them all at once in one unattended setting - if you can't get the directory upload to work.
    --John
    HomepagePopular