Announcing SmugMugExport, an iPhoto plugin

2»

Comments

• kokomosamkokomosam Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 5, 2007
    aarone wrote:
    I'm almost ready to release a new version of SmugMugExport but I do not have any machines running Tiger to test the app. Any Tiger users care to try out the new version and let me know if it works properly?

SmugMugExport-1.0.4.beta-1.zip

Major features of the next release include:
    * software update included in the plugin
    * better keyword support
    * ability to send iPhoto image titles to SmugMug
    * various other bug fixes

thanks!
    -ae

ae,

I will give this a try tonight and let you know.

Sam
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 6, 2007
    subcategories not working
    I'm able to select categories and subcategories via the iphoto plugin, but when a new gallery is uploaded, it appears in the main category and not in the respective subcategory. I have to manually add it in the subcategory via the web interface. Running Leopard and iPhoto 08.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Still a great plugin, but would be perfect if this functionality was working for me.

FYI: This plugin was one of the reasons I decided to go with Smugmug. I hope they are rewarding you in some way.
  • aaroneaarone Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    I just released SmugMugExport 1.0.4.

I fixed the subcategory selection bug.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 9, 2007
    aarone wrote:
    I just released SmugMugExport 1.0.4.

I fixed the subcategory selection bug.

Awsome! Subcategory issue fixed. Works like a charm!

Thanks so much for the continued development on this plugin. Donation to follow soon.

update: donation made. Thanks!
  • jstonebrookjstonebrook Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 20, 2007
    Caption populated from Description field?
    I have a question concerning the caption information imported into SmugMug from iPhoto.

It appears to be that the caption information within SmugMug is being populated with the description field from iPhoto. I see where you can have the filename be replaced with the title field from iPhoto but is there a way where the title field from iPhoto could be the caption within SmugMug?

I have to say - I love your plug-in and will definitely be using it going forward - just looking for some clarafication on this.

Thanks!
    Jeff
    edited December 20, 2007
    sure, I'm not sure I want to make that an option in the preferences panel but I can certainly provide that option as a 'hidden' preference and then show you how to set it.
  • jstonebrookjstonebrook Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2007
    Caption populated from Description field?
    Well - to be honest - I am new to iPhoto. I was using Picasa on a PC.

Do most people like have the title caption come from the description field? Is there a way to have the description field visible on the main content pane or just in the picture info pane.

Don't make the change just for me :D I was just curious how others use it.

Thanks
    Jeff
    edited December 23, 2007
    My understanding is that SmugMug descriptions serve the same purpose as iPhoto captions. For that reason, SmugMugExport maps the two together.

SmugMug has no concept of title for a photo, just a filename. iPhoto has the concept of both a filename and a title for each image. For that reason, SmugMugExport allows a user to choose whether to use an iPhoto title or filename for the SmugMug filename field.

Hope that clears up any confusion.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    It seems that the most recent version of the plugin somehow gets stuck after uploading the first photo in a batch. The photo shows up just fine in the gallery, but it won't continue uploading. Here's how it looks:

300483886_xfFxF-O.jpg

The same was reported by another user.

Could you please have a look into it?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • deepsrnvdeepsrnv Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 24, 2008
    Thanks for the great plug-in! Have loved using it so far. But for the past couple of days, have the same issue reported in the previous post - it gets stuck after uploading the first photo. I was initially using SmugmugExport 1.0.5 and had this issue. Even after upgrading to 1.0.6, still have the same problem. Can you please take a look into it? Thanks!
    edited May 24, 2008
    I just released 1.0.7 which fixes this problem.

There was a bug in the JSON library I'm using where whitespace wasn't being parsed properly.

In the future, please submit bugs directly to me. It's only by chance that I monitor this thread for updates.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    aarone wrote:
    I just released 1.0.7 which fixes this problem.

There was a bug in the JSON library I'm using where whitespace wasn't being parsed properly.

In the future, please submit bugs directly to me. It's only by chance that I monitor this thread for updates.
    Works, thanks! I posted it here since one of our users emailed the help desk reporting that he didn't receive a reply. Not sure if he emailed you or left a comment somewhere.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • timwindsortimwindsor Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    iPhoto export plugin crashed IPhoto when it fails
    Noticed this today with the outage (in fact, it's how I came to realize the outage was happening).

Every time I attempted to export photos from iPhoto to SmugMug today, iPhoto crashed after a short screen of "contacting SmugMug."

Seems like the plugin needs a little tweaking to not faint so easily when something goes wrong...
  • timwindsortimwindsor Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2008
    And to confirm, once S3 was back up and working again, the iPhoto plugin worked without complaint, and without crashing iPhoto.
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    I class myself as fairly technical but this has me BEAT!

I have downloaded and ran the install then open iPhoto but how do i use it? cant see anything int the options of iphoto anywhere?

thanks
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • BorisMDBorisMD Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Trouble uploading with iphoto plugin
    Hi all,

I'm using iphoto and the plug in, and that has worked well before, but today when I tried to upload a photo, it gave me the progress bar that showed the data went upstream, but then instead of going to my smugmug gallery, I got an error message: "system error (invalid album id)"

Any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks,

Boris
  • LisaMarieLisaMarie Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 15, 2009
    Hi Aaron can you tell me if I use this download will it be the newest version ?
    ne_nau.gif
    aarone wrote:
    I'd like to announce the release of a beta version of an iPhoto export plugin I've written that will export photos to smugmug. I'd be interested to find out about any bugs that you may find. It should work on PPC and Intel Macs with the most recent version of iPhoto.

You can download the plugin here

The code is available via a BSD license. Feel free to do what you'd like with it as long as your give me credit.
  • Ching1Ching1 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Hello... :)

my overworked PC laptop died a few weeks back and so I finally made the switch to a rather hot 17" Mac Book Pro.

I'm using Iphoto for the first time and downloaded and installed your plugin. all seemed to run correctly but when I open and look in Iphoto i cannot see any reference/interface,tab/button or option relating to your plugin or Smugmug anywhere at all.

Can you advise please? cheers..
  • spralesprale Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2010
    xpirex wrote: »
    Hello... :)

my overworked PC laptop died a few weeks back and so I finally made the switch to a rather hot 17" Mac Book Pro.

I'm using Iphoto for the first time and downloaded and installed your plugin. all seemed to run correctly but when I open and look in Iphoto i cannot see any reference/interface,tab/button or option relating to your plugin or Smugmug anywhere at all.

Can you advise please? cheers..

It's in the File>Export options.

The plug-in worked great for me until today. I get an error when the Export dialog opens: read only mode. Anyone else get this issue?

Nevermind, SmugMug is the problem, not the plug-in:
    We're awfully sorry, but SmugMug is currently in read-only mode. Here's why:

"We're having some temporary difficulties. We expect full service to resume shortly. Sorry!"

While in read-only mode, you and your visitors can still browse your photos and videos. You won't be able to login, buy prints, or add comments, however. SmugMug should be back soon, better than ever.

Thanks for your patience!
  • cybersusstcybersusst Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 3, 2010
    EDIT: Just saw the last few posts now...Whoops

Thank you very much by the way for making such a program. clap.gif I would love if iPhoto had an upload to Smugmug button instead of Flickr.
  • SPLobstermanSPLobsterman Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    aarone wrote: »
    I'd like to announce the release of a beta version of an iPhoto export plugin I've written that will export photos to smugmug. I'd be interested to find out about any bugs that you may find. It should work on PPC and Intel Macs with the most recent version of iPhoto.

You can download the plugin here

The code is available via a BSD license. Feel free to do what you'd like with it as long as your give me credit.

Am I missing something or does SME not transfer iPhoto Descriptions or keywords? Might this be possible one day?

UPDATE:

After more testing, it appears that one-line descriptions will upload to the Caption field in SM; multiple line descriptions will not.

The author tells me he's occupied elsewhere and will not be able to work on this any time soon.

Anyone out there who might like to work on his code? http://github.com/aarone/smugmugexport
  • sbanawansbanawan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 4, 2010
    iPhoto 11 has been released and I'm wondering if making the switch from the super powerful but overkill program I'm currently using (Aperture) to iPhoto would be worth it. There's a nifty little "share" button in iPhoto that has all the services I've chosen not to use but no SmugMug. I don't know what the API provides for, but it would be nice if a SmugMug option were in there. Any chance of that happening?
  • OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    sbanawan wrote: »
    iPhoto 11 has been released and I'm wondering if making the switch from the super powerful but overkill program I'm currently using (Aperture) to iPhoto would be worth it. There's a nifty little "share" button in iPhoto that has all the services I've chosen not to use but no SmugMug. I don't know what the API provides for, but it would be nice if a SmugMug option were in there. Any chance of that happening?

Personally I think that iPhoto is nice but not nearly as useful as Aperture but ... we all like different things.

There is no built-in support for SmugMug in iPhoto 11 so you have to use the same old plugins as before (and in that case I would really suggest that you stay with Aperture since the best smugmug plugin is SmuginforAperture)
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • noblehopsnoblehops Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2011
    Thanks!
    I just noticed the new plugin for iPhoto. I was missing it after I upgraded iLife. I also noticed that from your download page there is a discreet link to a PayPal page to allow those of us that appreciate your work to show our support with a donation, so I did.

Thank for this plug-in!

N.
  • MikeVOMikeVO Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 22, 2013
    Invalid API Key
    Hello,

Whenever I go to Export in iPhoto, I gett multiple messages of "Invalid API Key". What can be done about this? Thanks.
  • sharingsunshinethpsharingsunshinethp Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 27, 2014
    I really appreciate all of the effort you have put into the plug-in. So I was wondering if I am missing something about when you use the export feature out of iPhoto and you select the SmugMug tab.

Immediately the galleries are opened up. However, is there a way to show the categories instead of a list of the galleries. We have 500 galleries that are spread over 8 categories and additional sub categories. So having the original categories structure to work with is really something that we need.

That's why I was making the post wondering if there is something I am overlooking because I didn't think I was the only one that didn't find it practical to scroll through all the galleries to make and image upload.

Thanks,

Randal
  • jtripp34jtripp34 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2014
    iphoto plug in not working
    MikeVO wrote: »
    Hello,

Whenever I go to Export in iPhoto, I gett multiple messages of "Invalid API Key". What can be done about this? Thanks.

Did you ever get it to work? I am having the same issue. :help
  • kevin1234kevin1234 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2014
    smugmugexport let's iphoto crash
    It used to work fine, but since I updated to version 1.0.13, iphoto crashes whenever I select the smugmugexport tab in the export menu. I already emailed Aaron twice but got no response.
    Anyone having similar issues?

I am on MacOS 10.6.8, iphoto 8.1.2 and smugmugexport 1.0.13