Powhatan Creek fishermen at sunrise

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited August 8, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
DSC_4340-8-3-X2.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2015
    Wow, beautiful! :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2015
    That's magic Wayne!clap.gifbow
    Maybe purely matter of choice.....couple of distracting elements like poles and buildings creeping through.....might be worth cloning out.....
    Cheers!
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2015
    travelways wrote: »
    Wow, beautiful! :)

Tatiana, thanks for the kind comments!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

edited June 30, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    That's magic Wayne!clap.gifbow
    Maybe purely matter of choice.....couple of distracting elements like poles and buildings creeping through.....might be worth cloning out.....
    Cheers!

Taz, thanks much. Here's a revised with your suggestions implemented. You might be right.
    The buildings in the background above denote a marina nestled away in a small waterway on the creek. I left the original up for comparison.

Live long and prosper! :D

DSC_4340-2-8-X2.jpg

edited June 30, 2015
    Perfect and delightful! This is special and hope you are proud! Cheers!
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,234 moderator
    edited June 30, 2015
    I have a strong preference for the first image. I don't think the buildings detract from the image at all.

Guess we all have different opinions...

--- Denise
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2015
    The poles and buildings don't bother me, either. Very nicely done.
    edited June 30, 2015
    I have strong preference for second image. I loved the original image, but I don't want to wonder, "What is that?"....it breaks my journey into land of magic. Peace.
    edited June 30, 2015
    I have a strong preference for the first image. I don't think the buildings detract from the image at all.

Guess we all have different opinions...

--- Denise
    Cornflake wrote: »
    The poles and buildings don't bother me, either. Very nicely done.
    I have strong preference for second image. I loved the original image, but I don't want to wonder, "What is that?"....it breaks my journey into land of magic. Peace.

Denise, Don and Taz thanks for all the great input and kind comments. I was attracted to this picture primarily by the morning sky, water reflections and sun reflecting on the fisher's boat. The small glimpse of marina buildings and naviagational pole in the deep background just seemed to suggest to me that there was other "potential" activity in the shot aside from the boat in the foreground. All your opinions mean a great deal to me and are much valued!

edited June 30, 2015
    I was attracted to this picture primarily by the morning sky, water reflections and sun reflecting on the fisher's boat. The small glimpse of marina buildings and naviagational pole in the deep background just seemed to suggest to me that there was other "potential" activity in the shot aside from the boat in the foreground. All your opinions mean a great deal to me and are much valued!

What attracted you primarily to it is what is heavenly! Lets mind travel! Lets imagination run wild! What is primary is more often than not, enough in my opinion. Draws one in, and doesn't let go. For me, I always ask what is this shot about and conversely what is this not about. Then do all I can to remove whatever I couldn't remove from composition itself.

Furthermore, when something feels like magic, I don't believe in adding things that take away from dreaminess. If marina was pronounced and contributed to the story and to the "primary" focus of the image, then by all means it should be highlighted. To me, here, that stuff is so miniscule, that it just crept in the shot. For me rule of thumb is that if I have to ask "what is that" or spend time figuring out what "this or that spec means", it is better to just lose it.

Just my thoughts!
    Cheers as always!
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2015
    Taz, that's an issue I've vacillated on. When framing and cropping, I try to omit anything that isn't essential. When it comes to cloning things out, though, I've lately been inclined not to do it, mostly. There's no right answer.
    edited July 1, 2015
    What attracted you primarily to it is what is heavenly! Lets mind travel! Lets imagination run wild! What is primary is more often than not, enough in my opinion. Draws one in, and doesn't let go. For me, I always ask what is this shot about and conversely what is this not about. Then do all I can to remove whatever I couldn't remove from composition itself.

Furthermore, when something feels like magic, I don't believe in adding things that take away from dreaminess. If marina was pronounced and contributed to the story and to the "primary" focus of the image, then by all means it should be highlighted. To me, here, that stuff is so miniscule, that it just crept in the shot. For me rule of thumb is that if I have to ask "what is that" or spend time figuring out what "this or that spec means", it is better to just lose it.

Just my thoughts!
    Cheers as always!
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Taz, that's an issue I've vacillated on. When framing and cropping, I try to omit anything that isn't essential. When it comes to cloning things out, though, I've lately been inclined not to do it, mostly. There's no right answer.

This is an issue I struggle with as well. “Struggle” meaning that when I shoot a landscape (or any image) is it my purpose to create a result which most beautifully reflects the reality of what’s there in great detail or am I to take the reality of what I see and use that as a starting point to create what I would want to see using my imagination (and computer)? I also vacillate from one position to the other. I’m sure great artist take liberties when painting landscapes or still life and obviously for us photography is our art form. The fascinating thing about photography to me is that we can go either way and create beautiful results without being right or wrong in doing it! :ivar

• bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2015
    Nice Wayne. Smooth and serene.
    -Len
    edited July 4, 2015
    Nice Wayne. Smooth and serene.
    -Len

Much appreciated Len!

• CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2015
    When I view a scene in real time, I find that my brain "clones out" unimportant elements. In a photograph, those elements carry equal weight with everything else. So except for a documentary project, I am inclined to crop out those distractions. That way my photograph represents my original vision. And I agree with everyone else: Your photograph is superb and magical! --CCoop
    edited July 6, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    When I view a scene in real time, I find that my brain "clones out" unimportant elements. In a photograph, those elements carry equal weight with everything else. So except for a documentary project, I am inclined to crop out those distractions. That way my photograph represents my original vision. And I agree with everyone else: Your photograph is superb and magical! --CCoop

Carter, thanks for your thoughts and kind comments! Always appreciated.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2015
    I don't find the buildings and pilings a distraction. I am on the water pretty frequently and they are part of the scenery, especially in tidewater.

I like the mood of this very much.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
    edited July 6, 2015
    willard3 wrote: »
    I don't find the buildings and pilings a distraction. I am on the water pretty frequently and they are part of the scenery, especially in tidewater.

I like the mood of this very much.

Willard, thanks for taking time to look in and for the kind comments!
    I'm very grateful!

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2015
    I know I'm a month late to the party Wayne, but I was remiss in not saying sooner what a fantastic image this is... clap.gif
    Subject, lighting, composition, exposure (tricky with the sun!), it's all there in spades.
    I really, really, love this and because - imo - in the right image it's ok to adjust reality a little, I prefer the second version. thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 7, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    I know I'm a month late to the party Wayne, but I was remiss in not saying sooner what a fantastic image this is... clap.gif
    Subject, lighting, composition, exposure (tricky with the sun!), it's all there in spades.
    I really, really, love this and because - imo - in the right image it's ok to adjust reality a little, I prefer the second version. thumb.gif

Eric, anytime I get a comment from you (bowdown.gif) it is most sincerely appreciated.
    Your feedback is highly valued. I've been in a photography slump lately as to the quality of my shots and this really makes my day!

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2015
    I think we all have occasional slumps (unless you're Taz :D), and I find all it takes is a couple of hits to make
    the misses sting a little less and fade away... especially if I think I'm able to push through a barrier, either creative or of technique.
    Keep shooting Wayne - you have a great eye and most importantly, you love doing it!

I'm going out with my photography group tomorrow, for the first time in months (we meet monthly), to a place I'm not
    real excited about... but I've already made up my mind to enjoy the outing (I really like the group members) and
    search for inspiration and opportunity as it may happen... probably will end-up with a great picture of my foot. rolleyes1.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 8, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    I think we all have occasional slumps (unless you're Taz :D), and I find all it takes is a couple of hits to make
    the misses sting a little less and fade away... especially if I think I'm able to push through a barrier, either creative or of technique.
    Keep shooting Wayne - you have a great eye and most importantly, you love doing it!

I'm going out with my photography group tomorrow, for the first time in months (we meet monthly), to a place I'm not
    real excited about... but I've already made up my mind to enjoy the outing (I really like the group members) and
    search for inspiration and opportunity as it may happen... probably will end-up with a great picture of my foot. rolleyes1.gif

Eric, very sage advice here. Much appreciated. I am a member of a photography club here where I live and I also enjoy the camaraderie as well as the opportunity of picking up very helpful hints from the other photogs.

I plan to venture forth later this evening and attempt some night water shots from Yorktown. Hopefully, if I provide appropriately worded prayers (bowdown.gif) and the pixel gods favor me, I will be granted an effort worthy of posting (or maybe two!).