Options

Bacon's Castle...filtered vs unfiltered

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited June 24, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Yesterday, I visited Bacon's Castle in Surry, Va. You can Google the history of this house which is quite lengthy as it dates back to 1665. Every now and then I experiment with filters. I realize that can generate some debate so I am posting filtered vs unfiltered together for your opinions. The house in places was dark and the ISO at one point was at 1250 (flash is not allowed). I apologize if this is a lot of pictures pertaining to the same subject.

DSC_4040-1-8-XL.jpg

DSC_4040-8-XL.jpg

DSC_4047-2-8-XL.jpg

DSC_4047-8-XL.jpg

DSC_4050-1-8-XL.jpg

DSC_4050-8-XL.jpg

DSC_4058-1-8-2-XL.jpg

DSC_4058-8-XL.jpg

DSC_4055-1-8-XL.jpg

Below...unfiltered but with a little playing with light in PS
DSC_4055-8-XL.jpg

DSC_4065-8-3-XL.jpg

DSC_4065-8-2-XL.jpg

DSC_4070-8-3-XL.jpg

DSC_4070-8-2-XL.jpg

DSC_4088-1-8-XL.jpg

DSC_4088-8-2-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2015
    Great and enjoyable set Wayne! Stroll though history lane! I love those sort of things! Well seen and well captured subjects!
    Filtered shots are giving ethereal look.......so they are fine. What filter is it?
    Processing is different for filtered shots.....as color profile, details and brightness are all different. Are you using soft filters? Which ones?
    In my view here are the winners for each pair......
    #1 non filtered
    #2 non filtered (maybe be matter of tasted but filtered here is too cooked)
    #3 filtered (other one bit on dull side)
    #4 filtered - sharpness and brightness is really driving home the vertigo effect.....but if mine I would lose the bottom bar of the railing......also wish you had not shot your own foot! ;o)
    #5 filtered - nothing to see in non filtered one
    #6 non filtered but wish it was less bright....windows are pushed in terms of blown out....less light be more interesting....JMO
    #7 filtered - dramatic vs other one bit dull
    #8 EASY...non filtered

Share what you did because it added another dimension to it and I want to learn!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Great and enjoyable set Wayne! Stroll though history lane! I love those sort of things! Well seen and well captured subjects!
    Filtered shots are giving ethereal look.......so they are fine. What filter is it?
    Processing is different for filtered shots.....as color profile, details and brightness are all different. Are you using soft filters? Which ones?
    In my view here are the winners for each pair......
    #1 non filtered
    #2 non filtered (maybe be matter of tasted but filtered here is too cooked)
    #3 filtered (other one bit on dull side)
    #4 filtered - sharpness and brightness is really driving home the vertigo effect.....but if mine I would lose the bottom bar of the railing......also wish you had not shot your own foot! ;o)
    #5 filtered - nothing to see in non filtered one
    #6 non filtered but wish it was less bright....windows are pushed in terms of blown out....less light be more interesting....JMO
    #7 filtered - dramatic vs other one bit dull
    #8 EASY...non filtered

Share what you did because it added another dimension to it and I want to learn!
    Cheers!

Hey Taz! Thanks for taking the time to analyze the shots in such detail...I really appreciate that from you. Firstly, I don't think I'm the guy to teach you much! What you do with a camera is magic...seriously. bowdown.gifbow

The whole filtered vs unfiltered debate was precipitated by a picture that was in the reception room at Bacon's Castle. It was a very "cooked" HDR shot of the house with much the same view of the house as my first picture above. Not a pleasant or professionally done well processed shot using good light but a hard cooked HDR. I started wondering if that is what people really wanted to see now. Is this the type of photography that is now considered well done and better liked (after-all it's the shot on display to the public) than the well done golden hour shot that is professionally processed?

So I set up these series of shots to see if the altered shots might actually look better. Of course I'm not saying that my "straight" shots are well done nor do I assume "professional" quality. I'm just comparing altered vs unaltered in regards to likes and dislikes.

"Filter" may be a misnomer here in that I am using Topaz Adjust software in PS which is a purchased plug-in found under the "Filter" tab. It essentially is a choice of various presets which create a different appearance to the shot and can be "added" over the shot out of the camera after routine adjustments or adjustments can be done post Topaz "filters" being applied. Not to presume you haven't seen them but there are multiple presets in different categories which can be applied. Some of them appeared to make my shots "pop"...others just seem to try to hide a bad shot. Take shot #5 for instance...even with trying to flare the light with PS, the straight shot just doesn't do anything for me. With the Topaz adjustment "filter" it does seem to be a more interesting perspective.

The last shot of the old well I took with the help of a very kind mother who let me pose her daughter manipulating the handle. It made the shot much more interesting and I agree that the unfiltered shot is better. The lighting was MUCH better than in the house. My opinion is that a well done SOC shot with nice post processing wins 9 out of 10 times!

So that's the reason for the post. BTW...what's the problem with my foot??? :D:D

Party on Taz!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2015
    I pretty much invariably preferred the unfiltered shots. They're very good. With the filtered shots, my attention went from the subject to the processing.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited June 22, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I pretty much invariably preferred the unfiltered shots. They're very good. With the filtered shots, my attention went from the subject to the processing.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2015

Don, your opinion is highly valued by me and I appreciate your kind comments! Just wish my work could even hold a candle to yours!

Take care!

• Options
    edited June 22, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

Richard, thank you!!!

• Options
    junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2015
    unfiltered for me.
    as an amateur I have to say that I agree with Cornflake so that makes three. I have to say that generally natural looking photos engage me the most.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2015
    junglejim wrote: »
    as an amateur I have to say that I agree with Cornflake so that makes three. I have to say that generally natural looking photos engage me the most.

Thanks Jim. There appears to be a general consensus developing here.