Sunflowers and artichokes

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited June 28, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
I'm beginning to understand why Weston got intrigued by peppers. Criticism is always welcome.

Sunflower%20IR%20062215%20r-1-L.jpg

Sunflower%20062615%20r-1-L.jpg

Art%20IR%20three-1-L.jpg

Art%20IR%20one-1-L.jpg

Comments

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2015
    Well done Don clap.gif
    All very nice... I like #2 the best. thumb.gif
    My eye would like more black/contrast in the others, but I understand you are probably going for high-key.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2015
    Thanks, Eric. Yes, I liked the high-key approach here. The IR images (1, 3 and 4) were naturally low in contrast and in a high key. I liked their native language and decided to process them fairly minimally.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2015
    I am leaning #1! Perfectly backlit and like a chandelier!
    edited June 27, 2015
    Thanks, Taz. Backlighting does good things for sunflowers.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 27, 2015
    I'm a high contrast sort of guy, so #2 is my favorite of this set. #1 works reasonably well as is. But I played around with 3 and 4 and they both become magical when you raise the black point--in high key they're OK but only OK, IMO.

Edit: One more thing--Weston's peppers were remarkable for their sensuous and unexpected contours. One of the reasons I prefer a higher contrast for 3 and 4 is that the contours pop out. In high key they're hidden in the relative (lack of) shadows.
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2015
    No's 1 and 2 for me! clap.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

edited June 27, 2015
    Wayne, thanks. Richard, I appreciate the feedback. I tried boosting the contrast when I worked those two up and decided that I liked them better without it. But I may yet change my mind. I'll revisit them.

Oh, and I was certainly not trying to emulate Weston's approach. I was just thinking of the subject matter.
  • junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2015
    I think the fact that people expect sunflowers in color make these mor striking. I would never have thought of doing B&w sun flowers.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2015
    Great set. I was going to ask if they were IR, but I already got the answer. #2, 3 and 4 work best for me. I'm curious to see Richard's edits with a higher contrast, although I get why you liked high key.
    edited June 28, 2015
    junglejim, Juano, thank you. I like color sunflower images too. I find I look at different things with a black and white image than I do with color.