Options

Problems sorting pictures in galleries

agspecialtiesagspecialties Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
edited September 18, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I am having problems getting my galleries to sort the way that I want. I have done it before. Now I sort how I want the photos to be sorted. I click done and nothing happens. What is going on??? I just don't under stand how it works sometimes and it doesn't work sometimes. Need some help here.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    I have three galleries that I need to sort these files in. Can't get nothing to work. Very disappointed in this.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 9, 2014
    Can you send us some examples? Links to your site and how you want the photos sorted? We can take a look.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    http://www.nebraskastockphotography.com/LHNE-JV-Football-2014/LHNE-jv-vs-Wisner-pilger-jv/

need the files the other way. What sucks is you guys have to do it. I want to be able to do it.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    http://www.nebraskastockphotography.com/Events/Off-Road-Motocross-Racing-9-7-14

Same problem here. I need the files to go from A to Z not Z to A.. and Yes I have tried to change that myself. It just doesn't work.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    I see no indication of any info on any photo including title, caption or dates. So there is no way to check sort.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    I see no indication of any info on any photo including title, caption or dates. So there is no way to check sort.

I have that stuff shut off. I have done this before in the organize page. You select all and go from A-z in files and it moves the files around. I click done and the files move in the gallery. For some odd reason its not working with these galleries. Like I said, I have sorted many times like this. I have even tried to turn file name on and tried to sort and still nothing happens.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    In the gallery settings ANYTHING set will override the organizer sort. So in the gallery, set sort to "organizer" position or
    something like that. For a gallery looks like "position" needs to be set.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    In the gallery settings ANYTHING set will override the organizer sort. So in the gallery, set sort to "organizer" position or
    something like that.

OK will check that. Where is that located at?? in the gallery settings
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    something like that. For a gallery looks like "position" needs to be set.

Thanks a million Allen, not sure but if I was smugmug, I would hire you in a heartbeat. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    OK will check that. Where is that located at?? in the gallery settings
    Gallery Settings. Looks like "organizer" has been removed from the sort list. Another sneak change by
    Smug. So set to "position" so the sort in organizer takes precedent.
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2014
    Is there a way you can sort pictures by Time stamp on the file??? Here is my problem I am trying to fix. If three of us photographers go to a football game and we all get done and I go through pictures and upload. We all use different file names, but the problem is we have over a thousands pictures of photos that are just randomly sorted in Smugmug. I would like to sort pictures with the time. Then you would have three different file names but all of the same play from different angles. If that makes sense.
  • Options
    One of the sort options is sort by date taken. This includes the time. Beware that it does not correctly sort by seconds down to decimals.
  • Options
    Allen

I have tried that and it seems not to sort them that way. I will have to look into this a little bit more. Thanks
  • Options
    Allen I just tried that again, and it did nothing. All files are the same date. You select all and sort by date and nothing moves.
  • Options
    Here is the page address.
    http://www.nebraskastockphotography.com/LHNE/2014-LHNE-Football-pictures/LHNE-Eagles-vs-Ponca-Game-1/

We have all sorts of different file names. We each have our own file name so we can keep track of who sells what. But I am thinking that its sorting by date but not time.
  • Options
    Without photo info turned on there's no way of knowing the dates.

Temporary switch to Smugmug style and see if in date order.
  • Options
    http://www.nebraskastockphotography.com/LHNE/2014-LHNE-Football-pictures/LHNE-Eagles-vs-Ponca-Game-1/

Here you go Allen, I switched to Smugmug and turned on camera info. It still keeps the files in the same order. Any other ideas???
  • Options
    We want to get this figured out, I did notice that one camera was off by an hour, but they still aren't sorting by time.

Sunday we have a Motocross race that four of us will shoot. I would like to keep all pictures of same race together. Easier for people to look at pictures.
  • Options
    Went thru every forth photo for the 1st 88 and they are in order of date taken. Looked at both minute and seconds.

Edit: started at end of gallery and for a couple pages they are in order.

The only ones that could be out of order are ones with same time, seconds showing the same.

Smug needs to add filename as second sort so photos with same time sort.
  • Options
    Yes that would be right because i took the first 256 pictures. Then the other photographer pictures start from the beginning of the game. Let me try to show you. If you notice the rain picture with the light in the background. That was the very first picture that was shot that night from the three of us.
    Then in the second screen shot, you can see that the pictures get all missed up in order. Just not sure why its doing this??

I am pretty sure between these two pages is where my photos end and my daughters began and end and photographer #3 starts. Then Photographer 3 finishes out the rest of the 22 pages.

i-q85C6qF-M.png
    i-HSPKNn6-M.png
  • Options
    I started at page 10 1st photo and looked thru page 14 photo 262 and all in order.
    Same 4x5 thumbs per page.