Printmark scaling

takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
edited June 20, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've searched and read the threads dealing with printmarks and am not finding the answer to this question...

How is the printmark scaled to the size of the print? If I design a printmark at 1500x300, it seems that it will be tiny on a 16x20 and HUGE on a 4x6 print. Am I missing something or do I need a separate printmark for each size print that I offer?

Thanks,

jon

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    Jon,

You're not viewing a 16x20 from the same distance as a 4x6, right? The printmark scales accordingly. You can find an example for the size in of the printmark in relation to the print on the help page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-watermark

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    I've searched and read the threads dealing with printmarks and am not finding the answer to this question...

How is the printmark scaled to the size of the print? If I design a printmark at 1500x300, it seems that it will be tiny on a 16x20 and HUGE on a 4x6 print. Am I missing something or do I need a separate printmark for each size print that I offer?

Thanks,

jon

The area of the photo that the print mark covers scales with the area of the print. I forget the exact amount, but for the sake of simple math let's say it's 1% of the surface area, and let's assume that your print mark is square (it gets really non-simple really fast when you are working with a non-square mark). A 4x6 print has 24 square inches of space, and a 1% coverage print mark of that would be 0.24 square inches, making the actual print mark .49 inches on each side. Now assume the same print mark and scale the print up to a 16x20 which has 320 square inches of surface area. The 1% coverage print mark will be 3.2 square inches now, or 1.78 inches on each side.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/