Photog Needs Help w/Exporting Video

iklimoniklimon Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited September 21, 2010 in Video
I'm a photographer primarily, but I'm been dabbling with shooting HD video over the summer. Mostly sports for my kids' travel teams. But I have this problem with exporting video right now that I just can't figure out.

I currently shoot HD video with a Canon Vixia HF S10 digital camcorder. I shoot at the highest quality available, MXP 24 Mbps (1920x1080). When I bring the video over to my machine, it comes over as an .mts file which is the AVCHD file format. I import these .mts files into Adobe Premiere (CS4). I import them into a AVCHD 1080p30 (29.97) Sequence. I do my editing, adding title screens, music, whatever. The problem comes when I go to export the final product into a usable format. I've tried all different sorts of formats to export to and I can't get any usable results. If I select, for instance, H.264 HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality (a preset within Premiere) the video comes out extremely choppy...as in the audio will play and the video will hitch along and be mostly out of sync dropping whole sections of the video as it tries to catch up.

My end goal is to be able to export two versions...a higher quality (maybe burned to a DVD or Blu-Ray) and a lower quality (but still HD) for uploading to YouTube/SmugMug.

Any help or thoughts anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.
:scratch
Ian Klimon
www.klimon.com

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    iklimon wrote: »
    I'm a photographer primarily, but I'm been dabbling with shooting HD video over the summer. Mostly sports for my kids' travel teams. But I have this problem with exporting video right now that I just can't figure out.

I currently shoot HD video with a Canon Vixia HF S10 digital camcorder (link goes to Canon's site). I shoot at the highest quality available, MXP 24 Mbps (1920x1080). When I bring the video over to my machine, it comes over as an .mts file which is the AVCHD file format (link goes to Wikipedia article on the format). I import these .mts files into Adobe Premiere (CS4). I import them into a AVCHD 1080p30 (29.97) Sequence. I do my editing, adding title screens, music, whatever. The problem comes when I go to export the final product into a usable format. I've tried all different sorts of formats to export to and I can't get any usable results. If I select, for instance, H.264 HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality (a preset within Premiere) the video comes out extremely choppy...as in the audio will play and the video will hitch along and be mostly out of sync dropping whole sections of the video as it tries to catch up.

My end goal is to be able to export two versions...a higher quality (maybe burned to a DVD or Blu-Ray) and a lower quality (but still HD) for uploading to YouTube/SmugMug.

Any help or thoughts anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.
    headscratch.gif

You don't mention AVI or Quicktime. And I have had reasonably good luck with those. Quicktime pro has a nice feature in that when you create a Quicktime movie, you can then save for Web, and reduce the file size for Desktop, iPhone and/or iPod. When I do that via QT, I start with say a 300-700MB file and end up @ or under 20MB's and it works quite well.
    tom wise
  • iklimoniklimon Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    angevin1 wrote: »
    You don't mention AVI or Quicktime. And I have had reasonably good luck with those. Quicktime pro has a nice feature in that when you create a Quicktime movie, you can then save for Web, and reduce the file size for Desktop, iPhone and/or iPod. When I do that via QT, I start with say a 300-700MB file and end up @ or under 20MB's and it works quite well.

Tom,

I've tried AVI and QuickTime from within Premiere, but neither can do 1080 or even 720 that I can tell. Or at least as I can figure.
    Ian Klimon
    www.klimon.com
  • iklimoniklimon Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    Machine Specs
    To rule out a lousy machine, here are my machine's specs:

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Precision T7400
    Intel Xeon CPU X5450 @ 3.00 GHz (2 processors)
    16 GB RAM
    133 GB RAID primary drive
    1 TB secondary (editing) drive
    Ian Klimon
    www.klimon.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    You ought to check here

one thing comes to mind...24Mbps is going to be a high sampling rate to export to for anything other than your in-house use. Also file size for a DVD is limited. Know you know it, just saying.

Check the tutes I linked to see if they shed light.

Oh, and...yer machine: Xeon;x2...it ought to rock and roll! what graphics card are you utilizing?
    tom wise