Comments

• essayteeessaytee Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 9, 2011
    How many $$$$$$$ is the licence fee?
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    essaytee wrote: »
    How many $$$$$$$ is the licence fee?

This will depend on many factors, but if your business falls into the sports shooting events, and you want to open a can of worms go ahead and contact Photo Crazy.

Please let us know what you find out.

Sam
  • takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    I don't know if there's any further news on this, but I found this pdf file online that describes his whole process.
    http://www.photocrazy.com/Patents/ProcessingImageFiles.pdf

jon
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Keep in mind that a software patent isn't for "a thing," but "a process." You can get patents on a certain way of doing something (slide to unlock) but not just for a thing to be done (unlocking a phone from a secured state). Patent law is a really fascinating field.
  • fightingforrightfightingforright Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 23, 2014
    Update on Wolf Patent Case
    Capstone Photography is the most recent defendant of these outrageous lawsuits, and we are not laying down. Please check out www.endpatentabuse.com for important information on this case. Please read, share and donate if you can! Also, check out the most recent filing in the case. here.
    edited September 23, 2014
    Capstone Photography is the most recent defendant of these outrageous lawsuits, and we are not laying down. Please check out www.endpatentabuse.com for important information on this case. Please read, share and donate if you can! Also, check out the most recent filing in the case. here.

I am glade someone is fighting the good fight. I a rational world Wolfbag would not have even got close to a patent. It's totally irrational. This was done long before he started filing these phony patent applications.

Unfortunately I can't help you financially. :cry:cry:cry

Good Luck!!

Sam
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2014
    I am under the impression this patent only applies to US shooters.
    Can anyone confirm that one way or the other?
    edited October 29, 2014
    BREAKING NEWS: A Federal Judge in the Central District of California has struck down all three patents in the lawsuit in which Capstone Photography is a defendant. The Court ruled "that all three of the patents in suit are directed to patent-ineligible abstract ideas, and lack an inventive concept that would make them patent-eligible applications of those ideas." The case is over and Capstone has prevailed. We are excited to have this issue resolved in our favor! However, the legal expenses are very steep and our small business will take quite a long time to recover from the $100,000 in legal expenses we have incurred. If you feel that we have helped your business, please consider donating at www.endpatentabuse.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 29, 2014
    BREAKING NEWS: A Federal Judge in the Central District of California has struck down all three patents in the lawsuit in which Capstone Photography is a defendant. The Court ruled "that all three of the patents in suit are directed to patent-ineligible abstract ideas, and lack an inventive concept that would make them patent-eligible applications of those ideas." The case is over and Capstone has prevailed. We are excited to have this issue resolved in our favor! However, the legal expenses are very steep and our small business will take quite a long time to recover from the $100,000 in legal expenses we have incurred. If you feel that we have helped your business, please consider donating at www.endpatentabuse.com

Any pointers to the judgement?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 29, 2014
    I will post the Court Order shortly. Most likely within 24 hours. Thanks for the interest ian408!
    edited October 29, 2014
    I will post the Court Order shortly. Most likely within 24 hours. Thanks for the interest ian408!

I saw that the order was available but only by accessing the internal court document system.

I am glad to hear of the judgement as I am no fan of people like Wolf.
    edited October 29, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    I saw that the order was available but only by accessing the internal court document system.

I am glad to hear of the judgement as I am no fan of people like Wolf.

This is an wonderful if unexpected rational decision based on history and facts. WOW!

Ian, can you post a link so we all can read the decision?

Thanks

Sam
  • jrnylstjrnylst Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2014

Thank you for seeing this through to the end! I was unaware of your plight until I saw it in the news today. On behalf of all photographers, thank you! If you are still accepting contributions to help offset what this has done to you, please post details because I am happy to help out.
    alias Snowcatcher, but still a jrnylst at heart
    http://snowcatcher.smugmug.com/
    edited October 29, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    This is an wonderful if unexpected rational decision based on history and facts. WOW!

Ian, can you post a link so we all can read the decision?

Thanks

Sam

I don't have access to the court's internal document system.
    edited October 29, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    I don't have access to the court's internal document system.

K, thanks for letting me know.

Now will this open a can of worms with lawsuits from companies who caved and have been paying?

One can only hope so. :D

Sam
    edited October 30, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    Now will this open a can of worms with lawsuits from companies who caved and have been paying?

I hope so.
  • jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2014
    edited October 30, 2014
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2014
    Here's a link to download a PDF for this. It was also posted in the Sports forum.

https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/29/capstone_order_granting_motion_for_judgment_on_the_pleadings.pdf

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited October 31, 2014
    Gary752 wrote: »
    Here's a link to download a PDF for this. It was also posted in the Sports forum.

https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/29/capstone_order_granting_motion_for_judgment_on_the_pleadings.pdf

GaryB

It's also posted a couple of posts above mwink.gif
    edited March 6, 2015
    Update: Fighting for Patent Reform Continues
    As you probably know, I was the defendant in this ridiculous case. I'm proud to be the one responsible for overturning these weak patents that were used against so many photographers.

This case has become the poster child of what's wrong with our patent system. I have been approached by Application Developer Alliance and United for Patent Reform, and I'm joining the lobbying efforts of those two groups. As part of that coordinated effort, I have written my congressmen (again), and written an Op-Ed piece that will run in Connecticut newspapers next week. Pandora.com will be running pro-patent-reform ads using my name and story.

The House Judiciary Committee has requested my testimony as well. I've filmed a video which will be watched by members of Congress in the near future. Finally, a meeting is being planned between myself and Senator Blumenthal. I hope some good will come of all this so other photographers do not suffer what I had to endure.

If you haven't donated, PLEASE consider making a small donation at www.endpatentabuse.com. This cost $100,000 to defend and to correct a wrong in our industry. We're still reeling from those expenses. Won't you help?

Thank goodness that in the end, our legal system worked. From the bottom of my heart, I thank all of you for your support as we stood up for what's right!
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2015
    Done - I am surprise you have received so little financial support ... to date. Wish you well in this endeavour to defray some of your costs.
    Thank you so much for having the courage to take on this ridiculous patent.
    I hope your efforts to prevent stupid patents from being created will succeed.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com