Publish to Facebook - Beta 2. Now with Pages!

Comments

• MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    This should help with the tagging issue. On your page setup, there is a "Manage Permissions" page which has a new "Tagging Ability" setting. By default this is off, and prevents your fans from tagging images. As this is a permission on the page, not the individual galleries we can't change that on your behalf, but you have to do it manually.

i-3b95BXf-M.jpg
  • jamieratjamierat Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    now galleries make a post for each image
    see the image below. Fans are getting a post for each individual image and fans are dropping like flies. please helpScreenShot2012-05-14at13840PM.png
  • kevinreynkevinreyn Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2012
    jamierat wrote: »
    see the image below. Fans are getting a post for each individual image and fans are dropping like flies. please helpScreenShot2012-05-14at13840PM.png

Yes I saw this last night as well. I had posted a set of 100+ images, I swear I selected my business page but it posted to my personal page. It did so as I expected all images went up and a single post about the new album was made. Correcting my mistake I deleted the ablum and reloaded the images to my business page. Only this time it did as jamierat noted. A post for every single images in the list all 178 of them. I thought maybe it was because the album name was still the same so I deleted and retried with a different album name only to spam my clients a second time. Fortunately it was a charity event so most were very eager to see them but still. What gives?
    edited May 14, 2012
    kevinreyn wrote: »
    Yes I saw this last night as well. I had posted a set of 100+ images, I swear I selected my business page but it posted to my personal page. It did so as I expected all images went up and a single post about the new album was made. Correcting my mistake I deleted the ablum and reloaded the images to my business page. Only this time it did as jamierat noted. A post for every single images in the list all 178 of them. I thought maybe it was because the album name was still the same so I deleted and retried with a different album name only to spam my clients a second time. Fortunately it was a charity event so most were very eager to see them but still. What gives?

I have been trying to reproduce this issue, but no luck. I uploaded bunch of photos to a page, and only got a single notification about it (Baroness photos on http://www.facebook.com/Miikka.Skaffari.Photography) . I also couldn't find any setting on Facebook side that should affect this. We'll keep looking.
    edited May 14, 2012
    You do not see the issue on your page itself. Only fans see the issue
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    I've been retained by an event to develop a fb page for their event since I create a majority of the content for such a site. I have a couple of questions:
    1. Is the tagging issue figured out yet, or are we still in the diagnosis phase?
    2. When will a 'you are not the owner of this album' message occur?
    3. What is the authentication method between SM and FB? Ie, are they linking based on email address, individual logins via oauth, what exactly?
    4. Will this tool work for a fb business account that is the page admin?
    5. Does this tool require that the email address of the fb page admin be the same as the SM one?
    Thank you in advance for the answers.
    No answers? headscratch.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    MSkaffari wrote: »
    I have been trying to reproduce this issue, but no luck. I uploaded bunch of photos to a page, and only got a single notification about it (Baroness photos on http://www.facebook.com/Miikka.Skaffari.Photography) . I also couldn't find any setting on Facebook side that should affect this. We'll keep looking.

PLEASE note what Jamierat says: "You do not see the issue on your page itself. Only fans see the issue" !! It did not sound like SmugMug was understanding the problem, so I wanted to point this out. I'm afraid to post an album to a page right now, but I need to, so I hope this will get sorted out.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
    edited May 15, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    No answers? headscratch.gif

1 Is the tagging issue figured out yet, or are we still in the diagnosis phase?

I think we figured it out. It requires you to allow tagging on page settings. See above

2 When will a 'you are not the owner of this album' message occur?

This shouldn't ocur anymore.

3 What is the authentication method between SM and FB? Ie, are they linking based on email address, individual logins via oauth, what exactly?

oauth. That's the only method Facebook supports.

4 Will this tool work for a fb business account that is the page admin?

Yes, as long as your personal account is the admin of a business page.

5 Does this tool require that the email address of the fb page admin be the same as the SM one?

No, because we use oauth, we have no need/access to your e-mail address on Facebook
    edited May 15, 2012
    You do not see the issue on your page itself. Only fans see the issue

Yes, I'm trying all combinations. Still can't reproduce. I believe this is happening, but until we can make this happen we can't figure out what to change/fix.
    edited May 15, 2012
    I noticed it last friday is when it first started
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012

Hm, I just posted an album to my Moon River Photography page, and checked it from my test account who is a fan of that page, and only see one photo posted linking to the album. ne_nau.gif
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    My question is about images published to FB (on pages OR personal profiles) that are already internally geo-tagged (such as SmartPhone images, which for me are the only internally tagged photos I have at the moment). So far, none of the locations has automatically shown up on FB, although they do show up here on SmugMug. To have them show on FB, I'd have to manually add an address in FB's editing option. So, should they be showing up automatically? It sure would be handy! If not, I wondered if there's any plan to have this happen? Of course, I do not know if it's a FB issue or a SmugMug issue... Thanks for any info.
    Still wondering about info. on this also.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
    edited May 15, 2012
    PLEASE note what Jamierat says: "You do not see the issue on your page itself. Only fans see the issue" !! It did not sound like SmugMug was understanding the problem, so I wanted to point this out. I'm afraid to post an album to a page right now, but I need to, so I hope this will get sorted out.
    We do understand it - it's not replicable by any of us, Anna Lisa.
    edited May 15, 2012
    Still wondering about info. on this also.

Facebook removes a lot of EXIF data from the images. These include camera make/model, location data, original creation/editing time etc. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this on our end.
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    MSkaffari
    Please NOTE: I have had the "Tagging Ability:" check box checked the WHOLE time, but still have the "unable to tag" issue when publishing from Smugmug.
    I DO NOT have this issue if I upload from Lightroom directly to my page, but then I loose the fancy links in the captions back to my SM page.
    I also have the issue mentioned in this post #146.

Both of these issues are only visible on a fan's page.

Due to these 2 issues, I have stopped using the publish to facebook tool, and currently do not share directly from SM either. I just get a link then past it in the facebook status window.

MSkaffari, Are you saying that SM did something to fix these issues, and I should resume testing these tools? Or is the assumption, all of us did not have the Tagging Ability check box checked, and there is nothing for SM Heroes to do?

I just tested both of these again, and I still have the same issues.

But something has changed: The "gallery share view" (which included thumbnails of more than 1 image, and the album description) that was there before has been replaced with the last photo of the album,and the description of image with the Buy - link description. Not as sexy looking as before.

In summary, I do not think the Publish to Facebook issue is fixed, but something has changed, and I still have the same issues as in post #146.
    edited May 15, 2012
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    MSkaffari
    Please NOTE: I have had the "Tagging Ability:" check box checked the WHOLE time, but still have the "unable to tag" issue when publishing from Smugmug.
    I DO NOT have this issue if I upload from Lightroom directly to my page, but then I loose the fancy links in the captions back to my SM page.
    I also have the issue mentioned in this post #146.

Both of these issues are only visible on a fan's page.

Due to these 2 issues, I have stopped using the publish to facebook tool, and currently do not share directly from SM either. I just get a link then past it in the facebook status window.

MSkaffari, Are you saying that SM did something to fix these issues, and I should resume testing these tools? Or is the assumption, all of us did not have the Tagging Ability check box checked, and there is nothing for SM Heroes to do?

I just tested both of these again, and I still have the same issues.

But something has changed: The "gallery share view" (which included thumbnails of more than 1 image, and the album description) that was there before has been replaced with the last photo of the album,and the description of image with the Buy - link description. Not as sexy looking as before.

In summary, I do not think the Publish to Facebook issue is fixed, but something has changed, and I still have the same issues as in post #146.

Hi Dee

I just went to your Facebook Page, "liked" it and tagged myself on a photo that has been uploaded from Smugmug.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=295438357191817&set=a.295434673858852.63167.151969324872055&type=1&theater

Seems to work as expected?

The issue in post #146 is not exactly the same, we use different method for uploading through "Be social" and currently you won't be able to tag people on those post. We will be working on this and hopefully will be able to enable tagging for "Be social" also.
  • FritterFritter Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Hm, I just posted an album to my Moon River Photography page, and checked it from my test account who is a fan of that page, and only see one photo posted linking to the album. ne_nau.gif

i'm having the same problem as of a few days ago. I post to my company website and my fans, including myself on my personal facebook page get an entry for each photo, but on the company page, it only shows 1.
    edited May 15, 2012
    Fritter wrote: »
    i'm having the same problem as of a few days ago. I post to my company website and my fans, including myself on my personal facebook page get an entry for each photo, but on the company page, it only shows 1.

Does this happen every time or intermittently? Have you noticed this with accounts with the new timeline, old style profile or both?

Thanks!
    edited May 15, 2012
    Does this happen every time or intermittently? Have you noticed this with accounts with the new timeline, old style profile or both?

Thanks!

The last three times I uploaded pictures it has done it. I'm afraid to do anymore because of complaints of "spamming" their wall feeds, which I totally understand. I'm not sure with the old style profile, but I definitely know it does it on the new timeline
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    MSkaffari
    Thanks, I am not sure why I missed the "tag Photo" earlier, but yes it is there.

I do believe something has changed though. As I mentioned the single image is being shared in fan's streams instead of the album. It is the last photo uploaded per batch that I publish from SM.
    edited May 15, 2012
    The last three times I uploaded pictures it has done it. I'm afraid to do anymore because of complaints of "spamming" their wall feeds, which I totally understand. I'm not sure with the old style profile, but I definitely know it does it on the new timeline

I just found an open bug on Facebook developer site about this. Something has changed at Facebook on May 8th that causes multiple posts instead of one aggregated post about photo uploads. We will follow up with Facebook on this.

Thanks for pushing us to find the problem!
    edited May 15, 2012
    I just found an open bug on Facebook developer site about this. Something has changed at Facebook on May 8th that causes multiple posts instead of one aggregated post about photo uploads. We will follow up with Facebook on this.

Thank you SOO Much!! That is reassuring to know that it's a known issue. That timeline lines up exactly with when this happened. Thank you for perusing the issue and looking into it. I appreciate the effort. Looking forward to when this is fixed, at least it seems to be facebooks issue.
  • kevinreynkevinreyn Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2012
    Thank you SOO Much!! That is reassuring to know that it's a known issue. That timeline lines up exactly with when this happened. Thank you for perusing the issue and looking into it. I appreciate the effort. Looking forward to when this is fixed, at least it seems to be facebooks issue.

Here here! This has had me gun shy about posting albums again.
    edited May 16, 2012

Thanks for researching this. I hope it is able to be fixed soon!
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Cindy wrote: »
    Will the ability to share/publish videos to our facebook page be added? I'm currently testing out animoto (& other slideshow video services) & after exporting a video back to my smugmug site I discovered publishing via this isn't possible :-( or am I missing something? Thanks!

Bump... still wondering if the ability publish video's might be considered???
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • JimPR4JimPR4 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Should you be able to use both the "Publish to Facebook" and "New Gallery Style" betas at the same time or are they mutually exclusive? I'm not seeing the option to publish multiple images to FB at once with the New Gallery Style turned on but I may be missing something... Thanks!
    edited May 17, 2012
    JimPR4 wrote: »
    Should you be able to use both the "Publish to Facebook" and "New Gallery Style" betas at the same time or are they mutually exclusive? I'm not seeing the option to publish multiple images to FB at once with the New Gallery Style turned on but I may be missing something... Thanks!

No, sorry. Not yet.
  • JimPR4JimPR4 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Hi Andy, thanks for the lightning quick reply and for confirming I wasn't just missing something. :) You guys rock!
  • markderrymarkderry Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    This feature is great!!! Thanks guys!
    edited May 21, 2012
    1 Is the tagging issue figured out yet, or are we still in the diagnosis phase?

I think we figured it out. It requires you to allow tagging on page settings. See above

2 When will a 'you are not the owner of this album' message occur?

This shouldn't ocur anymore.

3 What is the authentication method between SM and FB? Ie, are they linking based on email address, individual logins via oauth, what exactly?

oauth. That's the only method Facebook supports.

4 Will this tool work for a fb business account that is the page admin?

Yes, as long as your personal account is the admin of a business page.

5 Does this tool require that the email address of the fb page admin be the same as the SM one?

No, because we use oauth, we have no need/access to your e-mail address on Facebook
    Thank you very much for the replies!! clap.gifiloveyou.gif

For question 4, "Will this tool work for a fb business account that is the page admin?", what if there is no personal account attached? A business can set up a page that is only the admin of that business page with no personal account attached. How would this tool function with that type of setup? Thank you in advance for the answer. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!