Options

New Firmware v 2.0.7 for the 1DX

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
edited February 6, 2015 in Cameras
I just found this - anyone else seen it yet?

Firmware update v 2.0.7 for the EOS 1DX How did we get from v 2.0.3 to 2.0.7 without anything in between, or did I just sleep through them??

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_x?WT.mc_id=C126149#DriversAndSoftware

My update went smoothly, if slowly, and seems to be a success.
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2015
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I just found this - anyone else seen it yet?

Firmware update v 2.0.7 for the EOS 1DX How did we get from v 2.0.3 to 2.0.7 without anything in between, or did I just sleep through them??

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_x?WT.mc_id=C126149#DriversAndSoftware

My update went smoothly, if slowly, and seems to be a success.

Maybe you thought because your camera cost as much as a car it would up[date it's self. :D

This is called being snarky and jealous, :D but you just wait...............Canon is coming out with a new 5D that will have 50MP and an opting to buy it without an AA filter. Na nana na na.........wings.gifbarbwings.gif

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2015
    I have been hearing the rumors of a mega pixel Canon body for some time Sam, but now there are credible links suggesting it will be available this spring yet. -- http://www.canonrumors.com

The 11-24mm f4 L looks interesting too, if it is really sharp. I suspect it will be, to compete with the Nikon ultra wide zoom.

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited February 1, 2015
    Too bad the 11-24 is a f/4. 2.8 would have made it an awesome astronomical lens. But the cost and size would have been astronomical as well. The 5Ds does look like something. If Sony is making the sensor, and that is pretty much a sure bet, I wonder what the DR change might be over a Canon made sensor?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2015
    Even f4 lenses are going to be used for astro shooting with ISO = to or > 3200. According to the link I posted, the 5DS will have an ISO range of 100-6400, and an extended range of 50 to 12800. A in camera ISO of 50 will be quite useful as well. Apparently Canon is also going offer a 5D Mark IV that is going to offer much better low light performance with fewer pixels, too.

So f4 lenses will get some use at night I submit, and the lower cost, lighter weight and smaller size will all be appreciated. The f4 might even be sharper than an f2.8 version as well. Not saying that it is, but that it indeed might be.

I wonder what it will cost - anyone have an idea? Maybe similar to the 16-35 f4 L ??

Are we sure the sensor for the 5DS will be a Sony sensor? I thought that was still an open question. Anyone really know for sure, yet?

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Even f4 lenses are going to be used for astro shooting with ISO = to or > 3200. According to the link I posted, the 5DS will have an ISO range of 100-6400, and an extended range of 50 to 12800. A in camera ISO of 50 will be quite useful as well. Apparently Canon is also going offer a 5D Mark IV that is going to offer much better low light performance with fewer pixels, too.

So f4 lenses will get some use at night I submit, and the lower cost, lighter weight and smaller size will all be appreciated. The f4 might even be sharper than an f2.8 version as well. Not saying that it is, but that it indeed might be.

I wonder what it will cost - anyone have an idea? Maybe similar to the 16-35 f4 L ??

Are we sure the sensor for the 5DS will be a Sony sensor? I thought that was still an open question. Anyone really know for sure, yet?

Of course we know! These are official rumors. Not to be confused with unofficial counterfeit rumors. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2015
    pathfinder wrote:

I'm going to guess that the 11-24 would probably be more than even the f/2.8 16-35 mkII version. So >$1600 and <$2600. On the 5Ds price… ??? More than the III, that's for sure.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2015
    I wonder, the yen has not faired that well re the dollar lately.

But we have not really seen cameras getting repriced lower either, though.

The 5DMKIII is getting ripe for replacement fairly soon, isn't it?

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 3, 2015
    I've heard 11-24 will run around $3K, although I can't find the reference right now. I'm assuming it will be very sharp, like the 16-35 f/4 (which is way sharper than the f/2.8 version.)
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    That's an interesting comment about the 16-35 f2.8 L II.. I have a 16-35 f2.8 L II that is razor sharp ( I use it for night shots and for stars ), and it is maybe even a tad sharper than my Zeiss 21 f2.8 Distagon which most folks think is reasonably sharp lens.

If the 11-14 is that good, I will have to consider it. Hopefully it won't be 3K with the yen falling and the strong dollar these days.

• Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    11-24, $3400.00
    5Ds, $4,000.00
    5Ds R, $4,200.00
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    Where did you get those numbers from, David?

This link - http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/02/the-new-canon-products-coming-february-6-2015/#more-18540 - has prices in Euros, but not in US dollars.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2015
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2015
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2015
    The 5Ds came in at le$$ than guessed ($3600). That means that in two years, as was with the 5DIII, they'll be $1,200 less than what they are now.

Canon's 5Ds video
    http://youtu.be/1gzrnneiHM4
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2015
    B&H shows the 11-24mm f4 L is $2999.00 for pre-order

• Options
    edited February 6, 2015
    Honestly, I'd wait for one of those three times a year Canon instant rebate things. Everyone popping for these new toys when they're first released usually regrets it shortly after.
    My Smugmug