Options

Pissed off, hope someone can help

SuzikaneSuzikane Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited August 31, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Good Morning,

Don't get me wrong with below message I've been a longtime member..and I've always loved smugmug.com..but at this moment...see next.

This morning I opened my gallery..and to my surprise I couldn't go to my "old" fashioned style gallery. It kept on directing me to go to the "new" style of my gallery..and now I'm stuck with it. I'm really pissed off.

I don't mind the new style gallery for my "small' galleries but it's a terrible for my one huge gallery.
The huge gallery is actually a personal storage place for all my photos...and it's a huge collection over 300 GB

I hate the fact that I couldn't choose for the old or the new like the last couple of times.

What's happening...:dunno??

Suzette

Comments

• Options
    edited August 25, 2015
    I see I placed this message in the wrong section...could some one pls move it to correct section..thanks suzette
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2015
    Thanks for moving the thread....and now it seems that all the galleries have the wrong settings...I created a template with certain settings...and all of them are gone..and I've got hundreds and hundreds of galleries and I can't give them all the same settings at once??? So now what...am so unhappy.. :cry
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited August 25, 2015
    Suzikane wrote: »
    Thanks for moving the thread....and now it seems that all the galleries have the wrong settings...I created a template with certain settings...and all of them are gone..and I've got hundreds and hundreds of galleries and I can't give them all the same settings at once??? So now what...am so unhappy.. :cry
    You can change the settings for all galleries within a folder at once.

See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1240194-how-do-i-change-settings-for-multiple-galleries-at-once-.

--- Denise
  • Options
    herojosieherojosie Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2015
    Hi Suzette,

I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy with the new site. We can definitely help with your questions and any customization tweaks you'd like to make to get the new site looking how you would like. If you can email us directly at help@smugmug.com from the email address tied to your site, we'd be happy to help get this sorted out for you.
    Thanks,
    Josie
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2015
    I don't mind the new style gallery for my "small' galleries but it's a terrible for my one huge gallery.
    The huge gallery is actually a personal storage place for all my photos...and it's a huge collection over 300 GB
    The only style that would be practical for a very large gallery is Smugmug style.

Click "Customize" and in the drop pick "Gallery Style". Select "Smugmug".
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2015
    Thanks for all your help..but it's not what I mean...

For example you have:

*category: Male Photoshoots
    *Subcategory: Male Name (1448 names)
    * Galleries: name of photographer

when you select all male names you can't change all of the settings you can only do a minimum of changes! And I don't want to go through all the separate male names

And this also counts for the gallery settings...to smugmug I can't do that at once!

Cheers

suzette
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2015
    Thanks for all your help..but it's not what I mean...

For example you have:

*category: Male Photoshoots
    *Subcategory: Male Name (1448 names)
    * Galleries: name of photographer

when you select all male names you can't change all of the settings you can only do a minimum of changes! And I don't want to go through all the separate male names

And this also counts for the gallery settings...to smugmug I can't do that at once!
    Categories and subcategories are the names in legacy. In new smugmug they are both folders. You can change gallery settings for all or selected galleries in a folder. Click on the Male names folder in organizer to bring up the galleries on the right. Click on each gallery you want to change the settings for, then click the settings button to access the change settings dialog for all of the selected galleries.

Did you look at the help page I linked in this post earlier in this thread? That shows how to change settings for multiple galleries at once.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2015
    That's the whole problem...I can't use the wrench! It's blocked (see attached image)
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2015
    That's the whole problem...I can't use the wrench! It's blocked (see attached image)
    Sorry, for that operation you need to use the Settings button, my bad for mis-typing in my last post. I'll update that post to avoid confusing anyone else.

From the help page (also linked in post above) at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1240194-how-do-i-change-settings-for-multiple-galleries-at-once-:
    Once you have everything selected, click the Settings button.
    --- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2015
    When in "Settings" for more then one gallery you have to check the box on the left of each setting you want to change.
    For "Appearance" tab check "Gallery Style" then select type.

When the contents of the folder is on the right only select galleries. You can "select all" at the top but check that only
    galleries highlight. If pages or sub-folders are present uncheck them.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2015
    Thanks for all your help...but are you telling me that I have to open all 1447 folders (in Male Photoshoots) to change the gallery settings...I want the same settings for all my galleries on my website...I don't want to go in all folders separately and change the gallery settings...

Because when I highlight all the names of the males I get these settings...(see attachement)

Isn't there another way..?

Suzette
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2015
    You will have to do every folder one at a time.
    Click folder on left tree.
    All its gallereis show on right.
    Click "Select All" at top.
    Click Settings
    Go to "Appearance" tab check "Gallery Style" then select type.

Sounds like with the vast majority of galleries being these you might change "site design" to the style you want and get everything.
    Then change the others to the style you want for them. Do them by folders in bulk in Organizer.
  • Options
    McKsauceMcKsauce Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2015
    Hi Suzette,

When you're doing any bulk changes for folders, galleries, or pages, you need to have the same directory type selected. This mean you would need to select all the Galleries in a folder and only galleries. If there are other folders or pages also in the folder, make sure they are not selected. Then the 'Settings' button will become available and you can sync all the settings for the selected galleries in one fell swoop. At this time there's no way to make efits to ALL galleries on the account, aside from moving them all into the same folder.

I hope this info helps.
    ----

SmugMug Support Hero -

----
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2015
    Thanks for all your help...but are you telling me that I have to open all 1447 folders (in Male Photoshoots) to change the gallery settings...I want the same settings for all my galleries on my website...I don't want to go in all folders separately and change the gallery settings...

Because when I highlight all the names of the males I get these settings...(see attachement)

Isn't there another way..?

Suzette

My wife just had an "enforced" opening of the new SmugMug as I think you did. I'm not sure if she faced exactly the same problem you have, but let me explain what happened to her and a work-around we came up with. Maybe this will help or at least inspire some directions to work on.

It appears the new SmugMug conversion used a copy of the basic SmugMug design that had the color theme for each gallery and folder set individually rather set to the than to the site-wide defaults. There may have been a few other other folder- and gallery-specific modifications as well. (I've written "It appears" and "There may" because it's still not clear what the start-up state of all the folders and galleries actually was. There seems to have been some inconsistencies, but my wife may have diddled some things unknowingly as she was exploring the new SM in the first few minutes.) These folder- and gallery-specific settings may have reflected something on her old SM site. SmugMug may have been trying to be helpful in the conversion. BUT, doing so limited flexibility horribly. When she tried to do something simple like change the site-wide theme (or the folder or gallery templates) nothing happened. Those folder- and gallery-specific modifications took precedence. It looked for a while like she was going to have to touch all her galleries (only 100+ in her case) and clean up the customizations one-by-one. Let's just say her language was perhaps more colorful than "pissed off" at that point!

We found an alternative: re-start the process with a new copy of the SmugMug design (or some other). We went to Customize/Choose a Site Design and chose SmugMug again. The folder- and gallery-specific modifications didn't carry over to that. So then we could work by just editing the site, homepage, folder, and gallery templates. When in customize mode, we hit the Setting button up top to change the name of newly-customized design to something more memorable than "Copy of SmugMug".

Again, I'm not sure if that's going to solve what you are facing, but it's a direction to explore.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited August 31, 2015
    Jtring wrote: »
    We found an alternative: re-start the process with a new copy of the SmugMug design (or some other). We went to Customize/Choose a Site Design and chose SmugMug again. The folder- and gallery-specific modifications didn't carry over to that. So then we could work by just editing the site, homepage, folder, and gallery templates. When in customize mode, we hit the Setting button up top to change the name of newly-customized design to something more memorable than "Copy of SmugMug".

That's an excellent suggestion! I'll be sure to pass it along to the Heroes to let them recommend this as well, if other customers write in with similar concerns.

For what it's worth, we wanted to make things less aggrivating to users who upgrade to the New SmugMug by importing their themes over. When we looked at the number of users who had set themes, and the number of foldres/galleries with custom themes set on them, it was extremely high. Users also wrote into the Desk complaining that the themes they had selected were not being brought over to New SmugMug, so as part of our recent efforts to make upgrading to New SmugMug easier, we began importing all your themes over. The assumption was: if you took the time to apply a theme in the Old SM, you would want it on the New SmugMug. I'm glad you were able to find a work-around!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations