Flyball Dogs

PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited October 25, 2005 in Sports
Flyball is a fun sport and any dog can play.

The soundtrack would be 100 dogs barking loudly. Flyball is a relay race between two teams of four dogs, taking turn to retrieve a ball from The Box (something like a jack-in-a-box - spring loaded). Opposing teams run side by side, over four jumps, grab the ball, back over the jumps, second dog is released etc. Winner is first team to finish, decided by electronic timers.

Klay and Rikki demonstrate a good close crossover through the startgates, noses cross through the beam.
41231387-M.jpgx

Big Jamaica (American Bulldog cross) turns at the box and focusses on the first jump to make his run back.
41246702-M.jpgx

Ginger collects her ball, and shows a good "swimmer's turn" for a quick return.
41234123-M.jpgx

Ginger brings it home over the last jump heading for the line,
and little Jessie the Jack Russell is ready.41220890-M.jpgx

These dogs consider themselves professional sportspersons and so refuse to
prepare their own meals or pick up their toys when finished with.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 24, 2005
    That's pretty cool! I like the shot of the bulldog...big smiley face thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Jamaica
    Thanks Ian - yes, he's a big dog. He can pat me on the head and still have three feet on the ground. It's good when they have a lovely friendly nature: one of my own dogs is a part Rottweiler, and I can't do Flyball with her because she is on a short fuse - just as likely to fetch the opposing team's dog as the ball.
  • JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    I love flyball!!!! It is unbelievable how fast those dogs are. I hope you don't mind if I post of couple of my flyball pics. If so, let me know and I will remove..........

9631896-L.jpg

9631897-L.jpg
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    Flyball Rules!
    Terrific John, more than welcome. Like that first action shot, (my team-mates complain when I put up an image of a slammer). This is Ezri, runs on Australia's fastest team, the Croydon Rocket Scientists - if she did swimmers turn instead of slamming, it would cut half a second off her time. We had just imported new boxes on this training day (from the fellow who makes them for your Spring Loaded teams I think) so it was a new style of box for our dogs, and they were all missing the ball on their first runs til they worked out the different box angle and ball trajectory.

If you have more, post them any time, it's great. And if you can suggest any websites/homepages that showcase flyball (including yor own) please let's know.

33658596-L.jpg