D7000 landscape tips

racefanracefan Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited August 8, 2015 in Technique
I own Nikon D7000 and have noticed that i have been having focus issues but thats another story. Im really getting into landscape, my question is when shooting sunsets or even any image is it better to shoot under exposed ? Im using LR5 for the editing process.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 8, 2015
    The simple answer is, "It depends".

Sometimes "yes", you should choose to underexpose the scene, and sometimes you should trust the automated exposure program (and not compensate the exposure), and sometimes you should overexpose the scene. It all depends upon the particular scene and scene elements, as well as your intentions for the image.

The Nikon D7000 has a very good exposure system, based on the Nikon 2016-pixel RGB sensor with 3D color matrix metering II (assuming Matrix exposure metering mode and Type D or Type G lenses). The Nikon D7000 also has excellent dynamic range with good post-processing latitude at low ISOs.

I suggest you start with a tripod based camera/lens, and use exposure bracketing to begin to "see" the effects of over exposure, normal exposure and under exposure, and how particular scenes respond to those differences.

For instance, in a scene where I want the sky to be dominant and a more important element in the scene, like with a really dramatic sky filled with photogenic clouds and a wonderful golden or auburn sun and a supportive framing foreground, an underexposure may keep the sky from burning/blowing out and losing color.

However, in a vista landscape where the land itself is to be dominant and properly exposed, and the white, billowy clouds may be slightly overexposed (with small portions completely devoid of color and bleached white), but where the sky is still a major and large component, a slight overexposure may give the best results.

I suggest that you also explore the other exposure modes of your camera; "Center-Weighted" and "Spot" metering mode. Again, using a tripod so that nothing else changes, just change the exposure modes to see how "your" camera and "your" post-processing can best affect your vision of the rendering of particular image scenarios.

Your camera is a tremendously versatile tool in the proper hands. Learn how to use the adjustability of the camera to your best benefit. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • racefanracefan Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2015
    ziggy53 ....

thanks for for the tips, lately ive really been trying to get the sunset pics where the clouds are full of color but when editing them and blowing them up to 100% the pic looks grainy. Like you said maybe i just need to play with settings.