Options

SmugMungous! Bulk watermarking bug?

BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
edited December 6, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I just went into one of my old passworded galleries and selected SmugMungous! Bulk to create the new larger images for my family to view. I've never had watermarking on in this gallery. When it was done creating the new XL images, I discovered all of the new images have the SmugMug "Proof" watermark plastered across them. I double checked the gallery settings and it still says Watermarking: No.

I'm guessing the SmugMungous! Bulk is forgetting to check the Watermarking option and is just watermarking all images.
Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,010 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    I just went into one of my old passworded galleries and selected SmugMungous! Bulk to create the new larger images for my family to view. I've never had watermarking on in this gallery. When it was done creating the new XL images, I discovered all of the new images have the SmugMug "Proof" watermark plastered across them. I double checked the gallery settings and it still says Watermarking: No.

I'm guessing the SmugMungous! Bulk is forgetting to check the Watermarking option and is just watermarking all images.
    Before using it check to make sure the correct watermark in set under
    customize gallery, that's the one that will be applied.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Bill, I can't replicate - if it was this way, we'd probably have a riot on our hands!

Try it again, triple checking the gallery customizing settings for watermarking, and let me know.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Before using it check to make sure the correct watermark in set under
    customize gallery, that's the one that will be applied.

I just tested on another gallery. I have confirmed watermarking is turned off under customize gallery. Next I use the SmugMungous! Bulk tool, select all images and select Go. It tells me my Xlarges are being created. A few minutes later and I check my previously unwatermarked images are now watermarked. Going back into customize gallery and watermarking is still turned off.

Oh, I think I understand now. The SmugMungous! Bulk tool is just the Watermarking tool rebranded. If I want the "SmugMungous" sizes without watermarking I should just use the standard watermarking tool, select all images in the gallery, select remove watermark and submit. This will create the SmugMungous but without the watermark.

I would suggest a huge disclaimer on the SmugMungous! Bulk tool page to say the tool will watermark the images, even when watermarking is turned off.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Bill, I can't replicate - if it was this way, we'd probably have a riot on our hands!

Try it again, triple checking the gallery customizing settings for watermarking, and let me know.

Just saw your reply Andy. Go ahead and use this gallery.

1) Confirm Watermarking is set to No in customize gallery
    2) Confirm images are not currently watermarked
    3) Use the SmugMungous! Bulk tool and select all images
    4) Wait a minute or so (not many images there), look at the new images
    5) Check customize gallery to make sure watermarking is still off.
    6) Go into Watermarking off the photo tools menu and remove watermarks from all images.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Oh, I think I understand now. The SmugMungous! Bulk tool is just the Watermarking tool rebranded.

This isn't true :D

Bill, please standby, we will again try and replicate.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Just saw your reply Andy. Go ahead and use this gallery.

1) Confirm Watermarking is set to No in customize gallery
    2) Confirm images are not currently watermarked
    3) Use the SmugMungous! Bulk tool and select all images
    4) Wait a minute or so (not many images there), look at the new images
    5) Check customize gallery to make sure watermarking is still off.
    6) Go into Watermarking off the photo tools menu and remove watermarks from all images.
    Very strange, I can replicate it in your gallery but not mine, not in any way at all.

I'll ask Ivar to further investigate, he'll be back within 24 hours, Bill.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Hey Bill,

I too can not replicate this. I've tried an account with custom watermarks, and one without, both did not give me a watermark on the SmugMungous (bulk) tool use.

Can you give me a link to a specific photo that showed the watermark after using the bulk tool? You can PM me if it is a private/passworded photo.

Sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    I too can not replicate this. I've tried an account with custom watermarks, and one without, both did not give me a watermark on the SmugMungous (bulk) tool use.

You can try any of the galleries in http://gallery.primarycolors.com/Family/266781

I purposely have not updated those images with the new sizes so you can use them for testing. None should have watermarks and all are password protected galleries.
  • Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Does the same thing to my galleries. Big old PROOF across the image. It also messed up one of my custom watermarks. It sometimes adds it vertically down the center of the image. I've had to redo all watermarks after using Smugmungous. headscratch.gif
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    cjyphoto wrote:
    Does the same thing to my galleries. Big old PROOF across the image. It also messed up one of my custom watermarks. It sometimes adds it vertically down the center of the image. I've had to redo all watermarks after using Smugmungous. headscratch.gif
    ALL galleries? Some? Which ones? We need to see the settings in a gallery where this happens, because we can't yet replicate this behavior.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    ALL galleries? Some? Which ones? We need to see the settings in a gallery where this happens, because we can't yet replicate this behavior.

Thanks!

Sorry Andy, I just attribute to Smugs sometime quirky behavior and have not really paid attention to what my settings are when it happens. I'll try another gallery and see what happens.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    Watermarked using watermarking tool in photo tools.

Customization Page: Watermarking = no

Ran Smugmungous and here is the result :

http://cjyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/2467734#86595272

I can't tell you what is going on but that IS what is happening.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    You can try any of the galleries in http://gallery.primarycolors.com/Family/266781

I purposely have not updated those images with the new sizes so you can use them for testing. None should have watermarks and all are password protected galleries.

Any update on this? I haven't tried since and I've left those galleries alone for your testing...
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Bill,

I had a look into it and noticed that it's not related to the SmugMungous tool. In fact, the photos have a watermark, but you can't see it. The watermarking parameter on the photos is set. If you rotate any photo, it'll get a watermark as well.
    Furthermore, you can choose any other watermark from the customize gallery settings and it'll use this one. It works as intended.

The question is how did you get an invisible watermark on these galleries. Did you recently create or delete any watermarks?

Have a great weekend,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    scottkwestscottkwest Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    I can no longer add watermarks to my galleries. The option doesn't show up in the photo tools.
    And while the customized gallery setting have watermarking on for a custom watermark, nothing shows up.
    I can't seem to watermark my latest proof galleries, such as http://scottkwest.smugmug.com/gallery/3929769
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2007
    OK, this is causing problems now, I'm not comfortable distributing proofs without the watermark, so I'm later than promised with these. The watermark worked recently in this gallery:
    http://www.scottwestphotography.com/gallery/3864986

but it did not work loading photos here, and the watermark option is not available in the photo tools menu:
    http://scottkwest.smugmug.com/gallery/3929769

The broken one was private, but I still have no watermarking option even if I temporarily make it public.

What makes the watermarking option disappear from the photo tools menu? Any advice?

Thanks,
    Scott
    scottkwest.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2007
    scottkwest wrote:
    I can no longer add watermarks to my galleries. The option doesn't show up in the photo tools.
    And while the customized gallery setting have watermarking on for a custom watermark, nothing shows up.
    I can't seem to watermark my latest proof galleries, such as http://scottkwest.smugmug.com/gallery/3929769
    Hi, you cannot watermark them because you have uploaded 800px originals. We do not watermark anything that isn't 801 or larger in the original file: http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-watermark-protection
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, you cannot watermark them because you have uploaded 800px originals. We do not watermark anything that isn't 801 or larger in the original file: http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-watermark-protection

Who reads the last line of instructions anyway. So now I need to know how to add 1 pixel to the width of each image... (just kidding, of course!)

Thanks for the clarification, Andy.

Scott
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    I just tried another gallery that had a watermark already. After running smugmungous the watermark that did run horizontal across the bottom was moved to the center and vertical to boot. I guess I'm just one of the lucky few.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    I had a look into it and noticed that it's not related to the SmugMungous tool. In fact, the photos have a watermark, but you can't see it. The watermarking parameter on the photos is set. If you rotate any photo, it'll get a watermark as well.
    Furthermore, you can choose any other watermark from the customize gallery settings and it'll use this one. It works as intended.

The question is how did you get an invisible watermark on these galleries. Did you recently create or delete any watermarks?

Hey Sebastian,

I haven't uploaded any invisible watermarks.

Trying to comprehend what you are saying here. Basically I think you are saying there is a watermarking parameter on each individual photo and SmugMungous/rotate/etc use this parameter instead of the gallery watermarking setting to decide if a photo should be watermarked.

I guess my question now is, how do I as a customer change the individual photo watermarking parameter so that it is not set, and how do I confirm if it is set or not?

Thanks!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,010 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    cjyphoto wrote:
    I just tried another gallery that had a watermark already. After running smugmungous the watermark that did run horizontal across the bottom was moved to the center and vertical to boot. I guess I'm just one of the lucky few.
    Anytime you regenerate the display photos like running smugmungous, first
    make sure the correct watermark is selected under customize gallery. The one
    listed there will be applied.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Hey Sebastian,

I haven't uploaded any invisible watermarks.

Trying to comprehend what you are saying here. Basically I think you are saying there is a watermarking parameter on each individual photo and SmugMungous/rotate/etc use this parameter instead of the gallery watermarking setting to decide if a photo should be watermarked.
    Yes, this has to be in place as the gallery setting actually is only used for all images that are newly uploaded. Additionally, you could assign a different watermark to any of your photos.
    I'm not sure on how the watermark parameter got flagged on your galleries and I couldn't reproduce it on any of my galleries. Seems like you have run into a very rare bug and I apologize for the inconvenience.

The only way you can determine if watermark is flagged for an image is to perform some kind of action that makes us reprocess the image, like rotating or performing SmugMungous! on it. I see that there's no use in that.
    The best way to deal with that is like you have all ready figured out to use the watermarking to on all images in a gallery and choose to remove the watermark. This will reprocess them all, remove the invisible watermark and update them for SmugMungous sizes.

I hope this works out for you. I wish I had some more insight on what's the problem here. ne_nau.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Anytime you regenerate the display photos like running smugmungous, first
    make sure the correct watermark is selected under customize gallery. The one
    listed there will be applied.

Yes, I do that. I even make sure create watermark is set to OFF yet I still get either get PROOF across my images or my custom watermark vertically in the center. BTW I have not set up any watermarks that should run vertically in the center. Do not know where in the hell that came from.

Also just noticed Smugwide seems to messed up now! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    cjyphoto wrote:
    Yes, I do that. I even make sure create watermark is set to OFF yet I still get either get PROOF across my images or my custom watermark vertically in the center. BTW I have not set up any watermarks that should run vertically in the center. Do not know where in the hell that came from.
    Try using the Watermarking tool and set it to remove instead of using the SmugMungous tool. This will generate the new sizes while making sure that you don't get the proof watermark on your photos.

Hope this works for you.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    Try using the Watermarking tool and set it to remove instead of using the SmugMungous tool. This will generate the new sizes while making sure that you don't get the proof watermark on your photos.

Hope this works for you.

Sebastian

Sounds like a great workaround. Since you have to wind up redoing the watermarks anyway. thumb.gif