Bears of Katmai, Brooks River

FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
edited July 20, 2007 in Wildlife
My wife and I spent 5 days in Katmai National Park photographing Brown bears on the Brooks river, these are a few of the many captures I aquired there.
You can see many more on my site if you like, lots still to process :D

173835141-L.jpg

173835359-L.jpg

173835635-L.jpg

173835927-L.jpg

173848401-L.jpg

173850373-L.jpg

173851354-L.jpg

173852296-L.jpg

173862486-L.jpg
Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

http://froggy.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Awesome series Froggy. Very well done! thumb.gif

If I see a bear as in picture number 4, then I surely don't stay to snap him....no....I will run like I never run before!

Thanks for sharing this great series.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    These ARE National Geographic pic quality!!!!! OMG.....simply outstanding, brilliant, awesome.........I can't even find a favorite among these.......superb!
  • emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    I just looked at the rest of the bear shots..........Holy COW!!!! That bear ran right by you in that first shot!!!!!!!!!!!! Good grief..lol.that is too close!
    THe cubs are fabulous.......and I see one of the boys got a good gash on his rump?
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Amazing. What an adventure! These shots are great! Fantastic!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Amazing series, Froggy! Actually, your entire site is pretty sweet. I've never seen so many bears in one spot, even at a zoo. Did they mind you being right next to them in that time? Glad to see you were using such a big zoom, regardless. ;)
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Mmmmmmm...Sushi!!!

Great shots Froggy!! Not sure i'd have had the courage to stick around that close to so many bears!!

Briggie
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Excellent shots, you lucky stiff! iloveyou.gifthumb
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Those are amazing shots, of which I would never have the courage to do!!! That #4 shot runs chills up and down my spine...it looks as if he/she has you in his sight!!!! Makes my knees turn to jello! :wow
  • FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Awesome series Froggy. Very well done! thumb.gif

If I see a bear as in picture number 4, then I surely don't stay to snap him....no....I will run like I never run before!

Thanks for sharing this great series.

Dick.

If you run from grizzly bear he will eat you, you must always stand your ground, I was charged three times and I'm here to tell you about it, My wife at one point were ten feet from #4

Steve
    Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

edited July 17, 2007
    emmalou wrote:
    These ARE National Geographic pic quality!!!!! OMG.....simply outstanding, brilliant, awesome.........I can't even find a favorite among these.......superb!

Thanks so much for your kind comments

Steve

edited July 17, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    Amazing. What an adventure! These shots are great! Fantastic!

It was indeed an adventure, scary too at times, thanks

Steve

edited July 17, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Amazing series, Froggy! Actually, your entire site is pretty sweet. I've never seen so many bears in one spot, even at a zoo. Did they mind you being right next to them in that time? Glad to see you were using such a big zoom, regardless. ;)

Thanks for the comments, at times we were ten feet away from the bears, they would just pop out and there you were face to face, at time it was very frightening, so you talk calmly to the bear and they mosey away most of the timewings.gif

Steve

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    emmalou wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif

Wish I could be more creative here, but WOW!!!
    Randy
  • ShasocShasoc Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Hi, Steve. I just commented on these thrilling shots in another Forum. Great stuff! Enjoyed Watching them again.
    Take care.
    Socrate
    "Natura artis magistra"
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    wow fantastic.wings.gif ..what an awesome chance!!

I'd have filled my pants when #4 ran by!!!!rolleyes1.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Excellent captures Steve! clap.gif I see the MkIII is working out well for you!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Wow and wow!!1 I'm absolutely stunned. What great photographs!! You had a long lens, i hope Laughing.gif Wow, thanks for posting those, what a trip it must have been. That would be my dream to spot these guys in a wild. bowdown.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited July 18, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Wish I could be more creative here, but WOW!!!

Thats a big WOW!! thanks I really appreciate you taking the time to look

Steve

edited July 18, 2007
    Shasoc wrote:
    Hi, Steve. I just commented on these thrilling shots in another Forum. Great stuff! Enjoyed Watching them again.
    Take care.

Thanks again Socrate. much appreciated

Steve

• Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    I am so envious!!!
    WOW WOW WOWSERS! I can't say enough how awsome your bear images are and how much I wan't to get to Alaska. We actually have a trip booked to Kodiak For 12 months and 2 weeks from now. I dream of getting a few great images like yours. The hard part is waiting. Great shots, thanks for sharing and making the next year even longerclap.gifclap.gif
    edited July 18, 2007
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    wow fantastic.wings.gif ..what an awesome chance!!

I'd have filled my pants when #4 ran by!!!!rolleyes1.gif

#4 nickname is Popeye he has arms just like him, scary bear

Steve

edited July 18, 2007
    Excellent captures Steve! clap.gif I see the MkIII is working out well for you!

Thanks Glen,

The MK3 is the bomb, I can't understand why so many unhappy customers, mine works great, wait until you see my eagle shots, I' amazed with this camera.

Steve

• dallasdallas Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Fantastic Steve; welcome home from Alaska. The images speak for themselves that you have the courage to stand your ground, and come back with such wonderful photographs of those dangerous, but beautiful creatures.....wings.gifbowdown.gifwings.gifbow wings.gifbowdown.gifwings.gifbow wings.gifbowdown.gif
    edited July 18, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Wow and wow!!1 I'm absolutely stunned. What great photographs!! You had a long lens, i hope Laughing.gif Wow, thanks for posting those, what a trip it must have been. That would be my dream to spot these guys in a wild. bowdown.gif

This was a year in the planning, the trip was a total sucess in my book, My wife an I are estatic with our experience there, what an icredible adventure it was.

The proximity to the bears at times was very close and somewhat unnerving 2 times we were very lucky and glad to still be here, all I can say about that is if you go there keep a very close eye on moms and cubs

Steve

• WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Awesome shots Froggy !!!!
    #4 is truly amazing .
    I know if I ever did get that close to a wild bear like that , I would hope I had some kind of edge in case they went after me ...
    Truly great shots . Thanks for sharing
    edited July 18, 2007
    dallas wrote:
    Fantastic Steve; welcome home from Alaska. The images speak for themselves that you have the courage to stand your ground, and come back with such wonderful photographs of those dangerous, but beautiful creatures.....wings.gifbowdown.gifwings.gifbow wings.gifbowdown.gifwings.gifbow wings.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks William, the bears of Katmai are truely a spiritual experience in so many ways, to coexist on their turf was an experience I cannot fully describe or can I completely understand why they tolerated us at such close proximity, maybe they felt comfortable that we were there as friends.

Brooks Falls is a very special place, I pray that it will always remain the way we saw it.

Thanks for the KUDOS

Steve

edited July 18, 2007
    WildWally wrote:
    Awesome shots Froggy !!!!
    #4 is truly amazing .
    I know if I ever did get that close to a wild bear like that , I would hope I had some kind of edge in case they went after me ...
    Truly great shots . Thanks for sharing

Some kind of edge,

the only edge you need is faith, if you talk calmly to a bear, hey how you doing today,thanks for letting me visit, I really appreciate you letting me come to your home, believe it or not they understand, however you surprise a female with spring cubs, your history, those are the only bears I fear, Oh!! and #4:D

Steve

edited July 18, 2007
    WOW WOW WOWSERS! I can't say enough how awsome your bear images are and how much I wan't to get to Alaska. We actually have a trip booked to Kodiak For 12 months and 2 weeks from now. I dream of getting a few great images like yours. The hard part is waiting. Great shots, thanks for sharing and making the next year even longerclap.gifclap.gif

Hey Albert I know what you mean by the waiting part, We waited a year....lol.

You'll get your shots, just remember keep your distance and stand your ground, bears are truely amazing animals, when you see them interact in their enviornment you will feel the spirit of the bear in your soul and forever you will be attached with respect and awe.

I'm happy for you, your in for a big treat

Steve

• PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Question on planning a trip
    Hi Steve,

Fabulous shots. I checked out all shots on your web site.. incredible.

This is my kind of action. I have actually been looking into a trip up there. I saw a couple Discovery Channel specials which got me interested and saw that the Salmon spawn July and September. Your eagle shot is wonderful also, and I'm not sure if I would be more excited by the bears or the eagles. We have a nesting pair down here Arizona but the Forest Service blocks the whole area off for the winter with very stiff fines and jail time if you get caught in the nesting area so the chance of getting a shot are few.

My question (if you don't mind) is did you plan your own trip, which I normally do, or did you use a service or agent or both. I have been reading how crowded it gets up there and that the lodges are few and hard to get rooms in.

Since your trip seems to have worked perfect for you, point me in the right direction if you could. Thanks.
    '
    Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
    NAPP Member..Click for Info
  • sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Incredible series here! Number 4 is particularly powerful and impressive, but the leaping fish perfectly captured in many of the river shots are awesome!

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.