Look who made it to the senior prom.

42515-5-XL.jpg

You can't take your mom.

42515-3-XL.jpg

Or your little sister.

42515-2-XL.jpg

You really should go with a classmate.

42515-12-XL.jpg

But first have your friends over for a party.

42515-30-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2015
    I loved these!! Great series, sense of humor, and I really like the group shot. Very natural poses with some great looking kids.
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2015
    I love these. I smiled at the narrative too. Very cute.
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2015
    [PHP][/PHP]Wowee!!! And can I say... those Florida girls sure know how to dress - they look gorgeous. As does your young man!! <3

It was Junior Prom here this Friday (hence the short dresses). Alas, there were too many people taking pictures at the same time, and I didn't get a single one with everybody looking the same direction!

i-nzLC5Mr-XL.jpg

Still, there were some nice moments....

i-4f4hfPV-XL.jpg
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2015
    Thanks DM. I really like your second photo. Mini-D is growing up nicely!!
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2015
    Very nice prom images.

I'm most impressed with the fact that your young man looks to be wearing an actual bow tie. No clip on action for that dude! Nice. Nothing like a classic black tux! Beautiful. And those dresses are indeed killer.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2015
    Very nice prom images.

I'm most impressed with the fact that your young man looks to be wearing an actual bow tie. No clip on action for that dude! Nice. Nothing like a classic black tux! Beautiful. And those dresses are indeed killer.

Yes, the real deal on the bow tie. He spent quite a bit of time learning that one!
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2015
    Good for him!! Look so much better than the nasty clip-ons. I am grateful for my years in Madrigal Singers in high school that I learned how to tie one because the guys always needed help!

And I'm still drooling over that gold sequin number - I'm guessing she's latina (?) and she is WORKING those curves!!

Btw, were you the only photographer there? We had 10 sets of parents, and everybody was shooting for themselves. It was the girl in blue's house - A. barely knows her so had no say in anything at all lol. I sure wish we could have used their front yard on the west side of the house as there was the most gorgeous golden hour light, but I didn't have a say in anything either. One more prom to go this year, and hopefully I can figure out a way to guarantee some better shots. THere's rumor that her group of friends want to go to a beauty spot instead of somebody's house, so we'll see if that works out............. :D
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2015
    divamum wrote: »

And I'm still drooling over that gold sequin number - I'm guessing she's latina (?) and she is WORKING those curves!!

Btw, were you the only photographer there? We had 10 sets of parents, and everybody was shooting for themselves. It was the girl in blue's house - A. barely knows her so had no say in anything at all lol. I sure wish we could have used their front yard on the west side of the house as there was the most gorgeous golden hour light, but I didn't have a say in anything either. One more prom to go this year, and hopefully I can figure out a way to guarantee some better shots. THere's rumor that her group of friends want to go to a beauty spot instead of somebody's house, so we'll see if that works out............. :D

She's from India. The dress and the necklace were incredible.

I stepped up and controlled the show. I had my son invite his friends to my home for a pre-prom party. mwink.gif I had already scouted locations in my yard for the time of the photos. I invited all the parents over with their kids and told everyone my photos would be available for them to download. My lights were already set up in my front yard when everyone arrived. Parents took a few cell phone shots, but for the most part, everyone was happy to have me do the shooting.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2015
    Yeah, I don't see that happening with Mini-D's group alas. And our house isn't large or picturesque enough to offer to host.

I feel better knowing you had some lights going - I was wondering how on earth you got those killer exposures in the ambient... and now I know!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2015
    Alien Bee 800 in a large beauty dish. My "go to" light outdoors. Doesn't blow over like a softbox.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2015
    Just one? It looks soooo even across the large group!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2015
    Boy am I ever getting old!

Mitchell your family looks great as always. A senior? Where does the time go?

Diva....Mini D is all grown up!!! ...and you have to take charge at these photo gatherings. You're no doubt the best shooter there with the best equipment. Elbow your way in where you need to be and yell..."OK everybody....eyes right here!!....on three...1, 2, and " **snap**.

That method served me well enough. And don't be afraid to say ...this is a nice spot but if they were standing over (???) it would be even better.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2015
    Beautiful photos, Mitchell! And thanks for making me feel really, really old. Good grief, it's 11.5 years ago that I started Dgrin, wowowowow. :rutt
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2015
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    Boy am I ever getting old!

Mitchell your family looks great as always. A senior? Where does the time go?

Diva....Mini D is all grown up!!! ...and you have to take charge at these photo gatherings. You're no doubt the best shooter there with the best equipment. Elbow your way in where you need to be and yell..."OK everybody....eyes right here!!....on three...1, 2, and " **snap**.

That method served me well enough. And don't be afraid to say ...this is a nice spot but if they were standing over (???) it would be even better.

Jeff, you lurker!!! Thanks for kind words and chiming in. Time does fly by. How is your family??

I don't think Diva will have trouble taking charge. That's the only way to corral such a group.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2015
    Andy wrote: »
    Beautiful photos, Mitchell! And thanks for making me feel really, really old. Good grief, it's 11.5 years ago that I started Dgrin, wowowowow. :rutt

Andy, thanks for looking. I can't believe how long we've all been here watching the kids grow up.

We ARE old!!

How old is your youngest?
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2015
    Just one? It looks soooo even across the large group!

Just one on these. Not sure how much it added to the group shot since I had it pretty far back. I think it gave me just a bit of pop which looks pretty natural on that last one.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2015
    Mitchell wrote: »

How old is your youngest?

almost 16.
    And, I'm a grandpa!
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2015
    Andy wrote: »
    almost 16.
    And, I'm a grandpa!

Yikes!! You are old! deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2015
    Yeah, we were the don't-really-know-these-families guest so I didn't want to be too bossy in this instance. Plus Mini D gave me the "If you embarrass me I will kill you" look. rolleyes1.gif Even with that, I found myself directing a bit!! That's how I got the nice one of the smaller group. :)

I love threads like this of our "dgrin family album" - watching all these kids grow up has been mighty special iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2015
    Anndd.... senior prom this past weekend. Mini-D nearly MURDERED me for taking charge, but the shots were better, even with (once again) way too many kids, way too many parents, and a thunderstorm looming (we stopped seconds before the skies opened). I'd have loved to have turned the kids to avoid the houses in the background, but we got there a little late and they were already set up; there was no way I was going to move everybody. REALLY neat location, btw, which I think I'm going to start using for other things! Had no idea it was even there despite it being practically on the doorstep, and it's lovely.

I was shooting at warp speed again, which isn't my preferred way to do things, but I still got some fun ones :)

All-natural light; I had a flash with me, but grabbed the camera out of the bag without it and didn't have time to go back and get it so had to wing it! Mini-D has informed me that if I even THINK about setting up an umbrella next time she will murder me rolleyes1.gif

i-fT52DrZ-X3.jpg

i-mT72GjX-X3.jpg

i-SLTbghw-X3.jpg

Theater kids - what can I say... rolleyes1.gif
    i-XTSDCQS-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2015
    Nice photos! I like the stately homes in the background. Nice location. Mini-D looks beautiful in that great dress, though I'm not sure about her pose in the last one!
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2015
    I'm intrigued by the red headed lass in #2 on the right. She's missing from the other photos. She would be a great one for some headshots.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2015
    Yes, she arrived late - gorgeous vintage-inspired dress (maybe even was the real thing) with a real 40's vibe. Several of these girls went for the vintage look instead of spending a fortune on designer modern, and they looked amazing! From Downton Princess to Jessica Rabbit, they nailed it. Mini-D's dress was something she actually wore in a show earlier this year, fell in love with, and asked if she could keep it! The director (it used to be hers) said yes, and she was really thrilled to wear it. Too funny.

Here's why I wanted to turn them - the little lake-lets had beautiful landscaping and made for a gorgeous backdrop :)

i-287bsD7-XL.jpg

And here's another with Jessica Rabbit - this was just the seniors (since only seniors can buy tickets, this group had worked it out so that all their friends could come by taking underclassmen as their "dates" - there were only two actual couples)

i-gLXKvSz-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2015
    Any of the seniors going to Elon?
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2015
    Not that I know about. One is heading to California, one is going to UMdCP, one to Delaware, one is taking a year out.....not sure about the rest. I think most of them are going on in other fields, even though they love performing. Mini-d showed interest in Elon, but even their max scholarship would leave it out of our league! The music theatre dept there is super-competitive too - very, very hard to get in. Ottawa remains her first choice at the moment (she wants to be a French major).
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2015
    Not that I know about. One is heading to California, one is going to UMdCP, one to Delaware, one is taking a year out.....not sure about the rest. I think most of them are going on in other fields, even though they love performing. Mini-d showed interest in Elon, but even their max scholarship would leave it out of our league! The music theatre dept there is super-competitive too - very, very hard to get in. Ottawa remains her first choice at the moment (she wants to be a French major).

My daughter is not a theater major, but she has always loved musical theater. The most pleasant surprise for her about Elon has been the quality of the theater dept. She constantly goes to high quality shows performed by her classmates. Quite a treat!
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2015
    It's one of the best MT depts in the country - very, very competitive and well-regarded. NY casting directors come to a lot of the shows to talent scout.... and frequently HIRE from the pool they hear!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2015
    Being a member here for a short time it has been a wonderful experience seeing your young children grow into wonderful young adults. Speaks volumes on your parenting skills, congratulations on that. Love the images and colors.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2015
    It's one of the best MT depts in the country - very, very competitive and well-regarded. NY casting directors come to a lot of the shows to talent scout.... and frequently HIRE from the pool they hear!

Yes, we went to Newsies in NYC and met an Elon grad she knew at the stage door. Even did the same in London last summer!
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2015
    Oh, and kudos for you for getting "bossy" and directing the photos. I become a dictator when I get my camera in hand in front of a group of people.