Options

New Lawyer

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited April 23, 2015 in People
Final edits not done. C&C welcome, thanks.

5D3_5856-X2.jpg

5D3_5859-X2.jpg

5D3_5860-X2.jpg

5D3_5864-X2.jpg

5D3_5865-X2.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2015
    For something like this a few shots without showing teeth would have been good as an option if this is for business purpose. I get more of a facebook/dating profile vibe, not one if I were in need of a lawyer.

It is a pleasant shot of him so it works in that aspect, just not in a professional sense. It depends on the purpose.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2015
    Thanks John. I hear ya, but the rest of the firm is smiling in their shots too, so I stuck with that theme.

garygoldberg.jpgterrygarmey.jpgdavidkreisler.jpgjonathan-sahrbeck.jpg

The first shot of the white haired fellow was done by a previous photographer, the rest are mine. The younger chap was new last year, and the other two wanted their shots updated to be more like the first one.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2015
    Excellent job of removing the horns!

Sam
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2015
    good light, his "presence" is bugging me a bit.
    Not much could've been done about it, though.

The tie is crooked, and he looks like he's not comfortable yet wearing the suit. :)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2015
    Thanks. Not sure what you mean by presence, but ok. I know about the tie, and I actually pointed it out and asked him to find a mirror and straighten it. He did, but came back like this. Guess I was feeling a little too shy to then ask to do it for him and put my hands on him. I didn't want to risk such an invasion of space getting the shoot off to an uncomfortable start.

Sam - har har!
    -Jack

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2015
    I typically tell my client "if you don't mind, i'm going to manhandle you for a second"; that usually gets a giggle out of them, and relaxes the mood a bit.
    The only time it backfired slightly was when I shot for a bike club.. enthusiasts.. :)
    By presence I mean.. presence. I get a feel of an uncomfortable teenager rather than a BAR passer from him. (although, I think in #5 he'd warmed up to the process, and felt more comfortable)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2015
    It's a lack of presence. He looks uncomfortable doing this and trying too hard. His smile comes across as fake and his poses look awkward like he is wondering what to do. The others look natural as they have been through this before. You have to overcome your shyness and take charge. This goes back to getting some without smiles and recognizing the feel being given off. When someone tries too hard I get them to take some pics without smiling. All his life he has people trying to get him to smile for photos. Add to this being a brand new lawyer and he is self conscious and trying too hard. I have had shoots where people get more relaxed when I do this technique when I see them struggling with fake expressions. Afterwords they feel relaxed and I usually get some genuine and relaxed smiles and poses.
    Thanks. Not sure what you mean by presence, but ok. I know about the tie, and I actually pointed it out and asked him to find a mirror and straighten it. He did, but came back like this. Guess I was feeling a little too shy to then ask to do it for him and put my hands on him. I didn't want to risk such an invasion of space getting the shoot off to an uncomfortable start.

Sam - har har!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2015
    I've always hated photographing professional men. They want to project this macho image and it usually falls funningly (is that a word) flat. Two points, 1. ask the guys to buy a new jacket that fits. I'm amazed at how professional men look sloppy most of the time. Jacket can't/won't button not to mention a shirt that fits the same way. 2. purchase a couple of ladies hair clamps, that springly kind. Then you can bunch the shirt to the back and clip it with the hair clamp and the front of the shirt doesn't have those awful folds running up and down.

Love the lighting on these, nicely done. I would darken/vignette the bkg more but that is a personal choice.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2015
    Guys... I see what you're saying about stiffness or awkwardness in 1-3, but I just don't really in 4 and 5. Take another look at just those two. Anyway, he has chosen #5 as his favorite.

Glad to hear the lighting was good, as I think that's very important, and it was all my doing. The room has terrible lighting.

Hackbone, a vignette is on the agenda for the final edit. Good idea about a shirt clip but I think I'll go with some of these rather than hair clips:

12pcs-lot-9544-black-binder-clips-document-clip-Medium-25mm-file-clip-free-shipping.jpg
    -Jack