Where should I go?

davespicsdavespics Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited February 8, 2009 in Journeys
Hi,

I have 3-5 days at my disposal in mid-february and want to go on a photo trip (landscapes or street are my focus)

- Would prefer to stay east of the mississippi
- Would prefer warm as I live in NJ...but not critical
- I can fly or drive
- Photography is the primary goal so I can go anywhere where there is a good location

I am leaning towards New Orleans or Nashville but any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    davespics wrote:
    Hi,

I have 3-5 days at my disposal in mid-february and want to go on a photo trip (landscapes or street are my focus)

- I can fly or drive
    - Photography is the primary goal so I can go anywhere where there is a good location

I am leaning towards New Orleans or Nashville but any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

Nashville isn't terribly photogenic, other than the Parthenon. East Tennessee (up in the hills, like Mountain City) is nice. Why don't you drive down the blue ridge parkway?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=94606&highlight=tennessee
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • davespicsdavespics Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Nashville isn't terribly photogenic, other than the Parthenon. East Tennessee (up in the hills, like Mountain City) is nice. Why don't you drive down the blue ridge parkway?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=94606&highlight=tennessee

That could be a great idea.....It is only 700 miles from my home so I could drive there and drive around. Wonder what the weather is like in mid february.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Heck, if your headed to TN I'd head over towards Gatlinburg and check out Great Smoky Mountains National Park. If you do choose to do that check out Clingmans Dome Observation Tower(which is actually just over the border into NC). A trip there should get some great panos.

Know that I think about it I've got some family heading down that way soon to meet up with some soon to be family I haven't met yet, I may just have to invite myself and jump along for the ride.thinking.gifrofl3.gif
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • JamforeJamfore Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    come on down.
    davespics wrote:
    Hi,

- I can fly or drive

I live at the Great Smoky national park. NC. I can take you or at least point you to a number of great photo ops. There are tons of waterfalls here. Transylvania county is known for the land of water. There are black bears, deer, the blue ridge parkway with great early morning clouds down in the valley's . I could go on and on. If you are lucky like today there is snow on the mountain tops and sunshine in the valley. Guess you already have snow up there. Our Carolina Nature Photographers Association always has field trips. check out our website. CNPA-Asheville Just let me know. www.Inglephoto.com
  • JamforeJamfore Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    davespics wrote:
    That could be a great idea.....It is only 700 miles from my home so I could drive there and drive around. Wonder what the weather is like in mid february.

parts of the parkway are closed. Mt Mitchell has reconstruction on the south side and you have to take 81 around. Some of the other areas are icy. It just depends on they day. We had 60 degree last friday and today 14. I live on the tip end of the parkway and travel between ashveille and cherokee all the time. Slammed on the brakes 2 weeks ago because 3 bears crossed in front of me.
  • dsm02cdsm02c Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    I was just in nashville and I would definitely say skip it (its a super cool town but I do not know if its the most interesting place I have even been to photographically) but if you end up going there I have the pin of a really neat hill that overlooks downtown and the sun rises behind batman in the mornings giving you some really cool shots of the super strange building.

I would assume that new orleans just has a much better chance of you coming back with something you LOVE there are more target rich enviroments there.
  • Majik ImajeMajik Imaje Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Fly to ALASKA you will never forget it for the rest of your life.

When it is zero degrees outside, it is very common to see students walking outside with just T-shirt and shortcuts !!

The cold just gets ON you, it never penetrates !!

Make the trip and I promise you the most spectacular images on the planet !!

this is one photo-opportunity you do not want to miss !!

(chuckle)

I took some photographs almost 30 years ago.. and each and every year these same images sell, sell, sell !!

I think you will find it very difficult to find a 'PRO' who lives an extremely comfortable lifestyle - from images created 30 years ago !
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

working around the clock to restore lost 'forum' & all photos
  • travellerbugtravellerbug Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Hi,
    My vote is for Savannah, Georgia. If you like architecture and street scenes as well as landscapes, it is the place for you. Not to mention it is warm. Tybee Island is about 30 to 45 minutes from Savannah proper and is a beautiful beach, plenty of marshes, sunrises, flora and fauna. Besides Tybee there are plenty of other outlying islands and places to visit.

I love, love, love Savannah and it is truly a photographers dream. Good luck where ever you end up and I hope you have a fun and productive time.

Holley