Smugmug Official Android Application?

AsselberghsAsselberghs Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited June 6, 2010 in SmugMug Support
Hi Smugmug and users
Is there an Android Version of the Iphone app for smugmug?
If yes where?
If no is there plans from smugmug to release an official android app simmilar to the Iphone app?
Don´t really like apple and they don´t really like me, all hardware I´ve ever had from Apple has broken. (Ipods several of them in fact)
I am hoping to get the Google Nexus One the secound I am able to order it from the official site. Unfortunately I am not lucky enough to live in either England or America.
I really hope theres a Smugmug app out there for the Android system.

Regards

Asselberghs

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    It's unfortunate that Smugmug named their mobile web-site after the iPhone. It really isn't iPhone-specific as much, but rather it just requires a particular set of browser functionality in your phone. In fact it works perfectly fine on an Android phone (I'm using it on a Droid) and it should work fine on the Nexus One. Just take your web-site homepage URL and add /iphone on the end. It will work on an Android phone.

Note: part of the reason Android works similarly to the iPhone for browsing is that both platforms have browsers based on the WebKit browser engine.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    It's unfortunate that Smugmug named their mobile web-site after the iPhone. It really isn't iPhone-specific as much, but rather it just requires a particular set of browser functionality in your phone. In fact it works perfectly fine on an Android phone (I'm using it on a Droid) and it should work fine on the Nexus One. Just take your web-site homepage URL and add /iphone on the end. It will work on an Android phone.

Note: part of the reason Android works similarly to the iPhone for browsing is that both platforms have browsers based on the WebKit browser engine.

Yeah, forget iphone or android, just make a decent mobile version of the site.

I recently get an android phone. The iphone site works ok except for one thing... when I view a picture, hitting back sends me all the way back to the homepage instead of back to the gallery I was viewing. Very annoying. Also, the iphone page does not seem to use the same sorting as the regular version. I sort by filename using gallery settings (as opposed to the arrange tool). The iphone page mixes the order all up. If I arrange photos using the arrange tool, I believe the iphone page sorts correctly.

Dave
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    pilotdave wrote:
    Yeah, forget iphone or android, just make a decent mobile version of the site.

I recently get an android phone. The iphone site works ok except for one thing... when I view a picture, hitting back sends me all the way back to the homepage instead of back to the gallery I was viewing. Very annoying. Also, the iphone page does not seem to use the same sorting as the regular version. I sort by filename using gallery settings (as opposed to the arrange tool). The iphone page mixes the order all up. If I arrange photos using the arrange tool, I believe the iphone page sorts correctly.

Dave
    Agreed. They would benefit from a much better mobile version. I don't use the current mobile version very often because it's got too many usability issues. To your issues, I'll add that if I scroll down to an image I like and then rotate my device, it rotates the display, but goes back to the first image and I have to find my current image all over again. Rotation is completely busted. Likewise, since they don't generate URLs as you navigate, the back button is completely busted for retracing your navigation steps. Clicking on a single image to view just it loads a gigantic version of the image (and takes a very long time doing so), not something that would just fill your screen. It has promise, but feels like it was just never finished or fully productized.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    We've been kicking it around, we'll one day make a /mobile link, that will have user-agent sniffing ability - so that we serve up the right version for the right device. And yes, John, it could use a bit more polish, too.

This thread is very valuable, thank you, guys - I've bottled it in our internal feature tracker.

I can't say when we'll get to it - spirit is willing, but there are oh-so-many things folks want right now :D

Thanks again.
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    i came here to request a smugmug android app after not finding one on the adnroid marketplace, and found this thread by searching.

i'm all for it.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • kerwienkerwien Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2010
    +1 for more mobile support
    I stumbled upon this thread looking for better mobile support for my AT&T Tilt2 phone - the iphone implementation doesn't really scale to other phones and browsers, would love to see more development investment here. Flickr has done a nice job with their mobile support, worth taking a look.

Scenario: check out what I'm doing over on the left...using the new Microsoft Tag thingy to point to my SmugMug site. Of course, need good SmugMug to make this effective.

To grab the Tag app for your respective phone, go to...
    http://gettag.mobi
    ...and yeah, there's an app for iPhone and Android for it too.

EDIT: I'm trying to add a profile pic over the left, doesn't seen to be sticking. Let me attach...
  • kerwienkerwien Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2010
    well, dang
    Good news: I figured out how to put an image on the left.

Bad news: Looks the tag isn't working due to the size limit constraint of the avatar size (80x80 pixels), so the camera isn't picking it up. Too bad.

I'll attach here for updated image.

Still would like better mobile support...! :)

EDIT: the left avatar actually does work with the Tag reader, as long as the forum background isn't black. Apologies for the thread drift here.
  • vitaminCvitaminC Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    athos wrote:
    i came here to request a smugmug android app after not finding one on the adnroid marketplace, and found this thread by searching.

i'm all for it.
    +1 !!

Looking forward to it, thanks.
    edited March 21, 2010
  • jachangjachang Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Got me into my site, but can't see photos
    Andy wrote:

I'm using the Palm Pro. This gets me to my site, and I see the galleries listed, along with their featured thumbnails, but when I click on a gallery, I just get a black screen with my name at the top and the SmugMug footer.:cry
    edited March 22, 2010
    Andy wrote:

Any more to it than a new name for the iphone page? I still have the same problem in Android with the browser back button not returning to the gallery but rather to the homepage.

Dave
    edited March 26, 2010
    pilotdave wrote:
    Any more to it than a new name for the iphone page? I still have the same problem in Android with the browser back button not returning to the gallery but rather to the homepage.

Dave
    And today? ear.gif
    edited March 26, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    And today? ear.gif

Better, but not perfect.

The new "single image" view or whatever you would call it works fine. Back button goes back to the gallery. Doesn't work as a back button is normally expected to work though... if you scroll through pictures and hit back, you don't go to the previous picture but rather the gallery. I can live with that.

But when you open a full size image, the back button goes back to the homepage, like it did before.

Tested on a motorola droid.

Also, when you go to "Galleries," how does it choose the order of the galleries? I think it would make sense to show new galleries from all categories at the top of the list.

Dave
    edited March 26, 2010
    Andy wrote:

Darn! I thought for a minute there that it was fixed!

Using Palm Pro, I went in as username.smugmug.com/m, but the browser kept cutting off the "m" at the end. That was okay, because it still worked. YAY!, right? Went into one of my galleries, saw all the photos, back button worked. But it was very slow.

I then noticed that I was logged in, so I logged out to see how it would look to a visitor. It no longer worked! :cry I could get into my galleries, but there was nothing there except header and footer and all black in between.

Tried several times to no avail. Tried it logged in, not logged in, nothing. :cry

It was nice to get a peek, if only for a minute, though. I hope this gets working correctly soon.

Jean
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Sorry, the Palm/Treo Pro is not supported for the mobile site (or the normal site for that matter).

The official list as of now: Android (any handset), iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, and the Palm Pre/Pixi - basically any browser that runs Mobile Webkit.

jachang wrote:
    Darn! I thought for a minute there that it was fixed!

Using Palm Pro, I went in as username.smugmug.com/m, but the browser kept cutting off the "m" at the end. That was okay, because it still worked. YAY!, right? Went into one of my galleries, saw all the photos, back button worked. But it was very slow.

I then noticed that I was logged in, so I logged out to see how it would look to a visitor. It no longer worked! :cry I could get into my galleries, but there was nothing there except header and footer and all black in between.

Tried several times to no avail. Tried it logged in, not logged in, nothing. :cry

It was nice to get a peek, if only for a minute, though. I hope this gets working correctly soon.

Jean
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    The list of galleries is as it is on your normal site, although in the future we may provide a way of toggling between showing the newest at the top.

As for the back button, I might have a fix for that next week. It is a limitation of IUI (the javascript framework we use).
    pilotdave wrote:
    Better, but not perfect.

The new "single image" view or whatever you would call it works fine. Back button goes back to the gallery. Doesn't work as a back button is normally expected to work though... if you scroll through pictures and hit back, you don't go to the previous picture but rather the gallery. I can live with that.

But when you open a full size image, the back button goes back to the homepage, like it did before.

Tested on a motorola droid.

Also, when you go to "Galleries," how does it choose the order of the galleries? I think it would make sense to show new galleries from all categories at the top of the list.

Dave
    edited March 26, 2010
    {JT} wrote:
    Sorry, the Palm/Treo Pro is not supported for the mobile site (or the normal site for that matter).

The official list as of now: Android (any handset), iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, and the Palm Pre/Pixi - basically any browser that runs Mobile Webkit.

Well, that's weird. It's not supported, but now it's actually working! I cleared my history and cookies, and the site works on my Palm/Treo Pro exactly like it does on my computer. I can even change settings if I want. Go figure!headscratch.gif

Anyway, I'm glad it works, even if it's not supposed to.thumb.gif

Jean
  • kitskits Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    I use JustPictures app on my android phone Xperia X10. It's a great app and I also used it on Nexus One as well where it supports multi-touch and also the trackball use.

You can get photos from Picasa, and smugmug with the app and it even comes with Active Wallpaper for Android 2.1 which picks up pictures from your favorites.

Here is link to more about this very cool app.
  • The ObstructionThe Obstruction Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 4, 2010
    I second the advice about JustPictures. I've been using it for a little bit now, and it works great for pulling in pics from many different sources. Obviously, a Smugmug app (with the extra functionality that comes with something like that) would be ideal, but for now, JustPictures works well as a picture viewer.
  • Carl314Carl314 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2010
    Just Pictures is nice, but no support for nested albums.