Ski Racing on Mt Hood - Slalom Turn Sequence

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited February 4, 2011 in Sports
Racing is in full-swing on Mt Hood. 2nd race for the kids was last weekend. It was a fun dual format with two slalom course set side-by-side. Adds a little extra motivation to have someone racing next to you.

Rather than cherry-pick the best shots in a couple of different sequences, here is a complete sequence of a single racer.

Question - which is your favorite shot of the sequence?

#1 You can't see her skis because they are in ruts that are developed throughout the race. By the end of some days, these can be 18 inches deep
1176220428_Ea2vw-XL.jpg

1176220529_JUgrx-XL.jpg

1176220648_xvRnQ-XL.jpg

1176220699_HUJvz-XL.jpg

1176220769_mHGd9-XL.jpg

1176220890_iPXtM-XL.jpg

1176220967_SgwoN-XL.jpg

1176221029_muCGN-XL.jpg

And just for fun...my favorite of the day :D:D:D
1176229831_qoTzJ-XL.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Nice job MJ!

Funny thing though after years in the ski industry I found myself naturally analyzing and critiquing the racer, not your photos. Spent two summers at Mt Hood Race Camps. Beautiful place it is. One day I'll have to dig out my old Kodachrome slides and put some up. Skier: Not bad form for her age by the way!

Got any shots of the Mountain or Timberline Lodge?
  • JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Nice work. #4 with a tighter crop. Too bad that guy is standing in the background. Do you sell many of these? I have been thinking about doing some kids ski events.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    HDRoamer wrote: »
    Nice job MJ!

Funny thing though after years in the ski industry I found myself naturally analyzing and critiquing the racer, not your photos. Spent two summers at Mt Hood Race Camps. Beautiful place it is. One day I'll have to dig out my old Kodachrome slides and put some up. Skier: Not bad form for her age by the way!

Got any shots of the Mountain or Timberline Lodge?
    That's funny. I do the same thing with the technique - especially with my kids. Our coaches use these sometimes because it is easier to see some things in photo than it is in a video. Here are two of my favorites of the mtn - one in the summer and one in the winter (different sides of the mtn though)

From the westside at Burnt Lake
    1177018541_bdsqu-XL.jpg

From the Meadows Resort parking lot
    1177018689_8douL-XL.jpg
    Nice work. #4 with a tighter crop. Too bad that guy is standing in the background. Do you sell many of these? I have been thinking about doing some kids ski events.
    #4 or #3 is the shot that most parents would buy. Definitely agree on the tighter crop and would do that if this was purchased. The guy in the BG was there for about 3 skiers. He was there watching his kid and then skied down the hill. One of the hard parts of this is finding a spot that has a clean BG.
    I do okay with this. This is a part-time thing for me so my measure of doing okay is probably different than yours. I'm still building my brand but am starting to get known for this. Frankly though I do this because I still have 2 kids racing and am there anyway watching the race.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Nice shots Mike! Brings back great memories, Mt Hood is a very unique experience when use to CO mountains. There was a few days when the vulcano was leaking sulfur gas, that was a little freaky.

Just had a thought that might get you a better angle. I know you need to stay somewhat aside of the course, but a higher zoom would get you closer to a striaght on angle in relation to previous gates for a whole different perspective. Otherwise super detail in what you got.