The proposal in the park in the rain

Comments

• com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    The article finally ran in todays (Sep 20th) New York Times. It is in the style section, but I also got a photo on the front page of the paper below the fold! The story follows three couples and the different photographers that shot the photos. So only one of my photos made it, but one is good enough, and my photo was the largest one too mwink.gif

So all in all I am very pleased with the article. I never expected to see my photo on the front page of the paper wings.gif

scan it (or at least post a pic of it!) and share it for those of us not in NYC! congrats!
  • Stella BellaStella Bella Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
    Shay- Absolutely stunning! Amazing. Did this shoot happen around April 16th or so?? I was visiting NY that week and got absolutely soaked in Central Park....S.O.A.K.E.D. Really amazing work.
  • scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    A noob with a Canon 30D walks into a photo forum and sees those pics and says to himself "Self, that's the kind of pic you want to take".

Absolutely wonderful shots. They give me a goal to reach.

S.C.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

CONGRATULATIONS SHAY!!!!!!! Didn't you just say on Tuesday that they will probably never run it - lol
    I know! I am glad it happened toward the end, I got home last night and have a couple more interview opportunities waiting for me. We'll see if they pan out too, I hope so.
    I think you should add another day to next years Boot Camp to cover the art of stelth proposal photography.

I also want to second Cathy's idea of forwarding the overflow to students :D
    Both good ideas hehehe
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    The article finally ran in todays (Sep 20th) New York Times. It is in the style section, but I also got a photo on the front page of the paper below the fold! The story follows three couples and the different photographers that shot the photos. So only one of my photos made it, but one is good enough, and my photo was the largest one too mwink.gif

So all in all I am very pleased with the article. I never expected to see my photo on the front page of the paper wings.gif
    Huge congrats, Shay! clap.gif Well deserved! deal.gifbowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • CheriegCherieg Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    stunning emotion packed shots!!!!!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    Oooo I'm so glad I found this....Laughing.gif GREAT shots...from someone who loves shooting in the rain!!

Whooohaaaaaaaaaaaa
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    Found the article online:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/20/fashion/20proposal.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Enjoy. Congrats Shay!!! (shay is talked about on page 2, but his pic is on page 1)
  • truthtruth Banned Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 25, 2007
    Amazing work here Shay. Truly stunning imagery both visually and emotionally. Congrats on the NYT.
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    Shima wrote:
    Found the article online:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/20/fashion/20proposal.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Enjoy. Congrats Shay!!! (shay is talked about on page 2, but his pic is on page 1)

thanks for the link! that's a really good article.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    I got a brief mention on the Rachael Ray TV show today:
    http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/view/297/ - An icon of one of my proposal shoots is there and links to my website.

And a single photo of the rain proposal is shown on this page:
    http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/redish-lara-spencer/

I only got a brief synopsis of what they talked about, I have not seen the segment myself yet, but still pretty cool :D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Ike615Ike615 Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    congrats Shay. Looks like you've created quite the nitch for yourself!

- Isaac
    http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/view/297/ - An icon of one of my proposal shoots is there and links to my website.

I only got a brief synopsis of what they talked about, I have not seen the segment myself yet, but still pretty cool :D
    Isaac Lane Koval
    www.kovalproductions.com
    Canon 5D & 30D:
    24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 70-200 f4L, 85mm f.1.2L II, 35mm f1.4L, 28-135mm f.3.5-5.6 IS, 580EX

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Yay, Shay! clap.gif
    Congrats! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Many congrats
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007

That's so coooool!!!!! Congrats, Shay!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Shay is being modest...
    He did not mention all the other buzz I found this week about him on a couple of wedding forums...talking about the Proposal in the rain..

Congratulations, Shay. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 12, 2007
    It's nice that those links go directly from her page to yours. Very nice.
    indeedy.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    What a lovely story that is told by this set. You are a master. If ever I could be your assistant...
  • QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    amazing
    WOW!!! I love love love this series. So very inspirational and emotional. :) I hope to one day capture sweet and true moments like you have here...bowdown.gif

I shot my first wedding (as the 2nd/assistant) yesterday and it was exciting and hectic and fun and difficult to decide what lens to use when....

As a newbie to all of this...Can I ask what lens you used for this series and other tech info you would like to throw in?

Gracias!!!

ps. I am _really_ bummed I didn't make it to your wedding boot camp - was super pregnant when you were here in SF.... I'm all better now though and have a lovely baby girl (Gemma) to show for it. clap.gif

Will you do the camps again? :D
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Wow!! Awesome job!!!!
  • caughtnactioncaughtnaction Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    re: Proposal Pictues
    I bet they will enjoy these pics for a long time to come, to bad the bright orange thing was in the background! My fav is the last one! Great Work!! KS
  • Sir HawkinsSir Hawkins Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    the master
    WOW:wow
    I dont know what to say ... bowdown.gif
    I showed my wife and she was about to cry ....:cry

I would say very nice but that cant even touch what you have done here
    i dont know if there are words to say what you have done, but i do like to say one thing... TEACH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT JOB....

thanks
    Kelly
  • Just A Guy With A CameraJust A Guy With A Camera Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2008
    Bump!

Anyone have these saved? I saw them a while back and was blown away by them! If anyone has them saved (Shay?), would you be so kind as to send them my way? Thanks a million!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 11, 2008
    Matt,

It's not polite to "send them my way". One might consider that stealing.

Thanks.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited August 11, 2008
    Bump!

Anyone have these saved? I saw them a while back and was blown away by them! If anyone has them saved (Shay?), would you be so kind as to send them my way? Thanks a million!

Just a temporary glitch, Matt. You should be able to see them now if you reload the first page.
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    I don't know how I missed these! WoW!
    Jaye
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    WOW!!!! Boy, and those were taken in the rain .... respect!!!! clap.gif
  • mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Well I'm not going to read all 11 pages of people saying "great job Shay", but I am going to add one... truly inspiring work and a benchmark for the rest of us. I hope to be able to shoot like this one day.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    I just saw these for the first time today and I have only two words for you. Simply. Stunning. I wanna be more like you when I grow up. :D
    Alan H.
    http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II
  • jdawgjdawg Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2008
    Speechless. What amazing moments for them to be able to remember visually and share with others. I LOVE the one of him picking her up in the center of the walkway. What a beautiful setting.