Appreciations of other great photographers

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited August 2, 2004 in Technique
You can't beat the Henri Cartier-Bresson to death, but the lack of a comprehensive online collection of high qualitly scans has limited the discussion a bit. The HCB lovers have unleashed a torrent of words in appreciation of his work and perhaps opened some eyes to some less well known of his works or increased appreciation of the more famous of them.

What about other great photographers? Lots of people realy love Ansel Adams, for example. How about sharing and explaining? I have some other favorites beyond HCB: Avedon, Penn, Weegee, Weston. I'm working up the energy to write about them. Who loves Man Ray? Steiglitz? Margaret Bourke Smith? Diane Arbus? Great photographers still in their primes? Phil Greenspun, founder of photo.net, comes to mind. Do any of these photographers have as much to teach us as HCB? Why? Give examples? How have they influenced you. Little known work as great as their most famous?

Start a new thread for each photographer and share your passion for him/her.
If not now, when?

Comments

• damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    Why not start a thread and give us a guided tour.
    If not now, when?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    Passionate about photographers
    hehahahah........I am 64, the passions of yesterday are that, passions of yesterday. I do like Avedon.
    What about Liebowitz (sp?). I will try to look up more of her stuff, but it is all over the media. I think she is getting better, or I am more used to her. Sometimes I want to buy the magazine, with the articles, just to look at her photography.
    Mary Ellen Mark used to be a favorite of mine, no longer, don't know why.
    I guess you can tell I have not been much into landscape photography. I read the family of man (should be caps), cover to cover, for years. There was a photographer, not Bresson, but one who came after, and I really liked him, a master of the decisive moment. I tried to like Arbus, don't try anymore. Since my main interest, other than figuring out others do things, my interest is photojournalism, the type of photography some of you all call "candid" and other derogatory sounding terms. I am now in great respect of a really good snapshot.
    But I will take Liebowitz. If I were to want to post one of my baptism pictures, where would I do that?
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    Alex Majoli
    This guy is around my age and got an earlier start in the trenches. He was doing hardcore photojournalism by the time he was 18. His style is like mine, and maybe that's why I think he's one of the best out there right now. Birds of a feather...here are a few. They speak for themselves...

http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/majoli/
  • WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    edited June 16, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    This guy is around my age and got an earlier start in the trenches. He was doing hardcore photojournalism by the time he was 18. His style is like mine, and maybe that's why I think he's one of the best out there right now. Birds of a feather...here are a few. They speak for themselves...

http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/majoli/
    Interesting article, I too shoot an OlyC4040!
    edited June 18, 2004
    Clyde Butcher
    One of my favorites is Clyde Butcher. Fabulous large format images, and he shoots mostly in my home state. Beautiful landscape and wildlife images from right here in the most pristine areas of the sunshine state. Check him out here:

www.clydebutcher.com
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    ginger, has very kindly offered to sort me out a plane to photograph stonehenge, thanks ginger thumb.gif

Her offer, reminded me of a book that my B-I-L had bought after going to an exhibition in London. The photographer was Yann Arthus-Bertrand and the book was Earth from the Air .
    "
    Earth from the Air was a massive project for Yann. He spent ten years carefully researching the landcapes he has selected, flying over 76 countries and clocking up 3,000 flying hours by helicopter. Earth from the Air has taken him to Antarctica, Alaska, southern Argentina, Australia, Siberia and Africa. "

Here's an example of "lines & curves" in France. linked from his site

Have a look at his website its huge but worth it! I didn't notice to start with but if you scroll down on each picture there is a paragraph of information. You can see why it took 10 years.

Doh, just noticed he's already done Stonehenge ginger so don't worry about the plane. For Now ;) its here again linked from his website
  • SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    ginger, has very kindly offered to sort me out a plane to photograph stonehenge, thanks ginger thumb.gif

Her offer, reminded me of a book that my B-I-L had bought after going to an exhibition in London. The photographer was Yann Arthus-Bertrand and the book was Earth from the Air .
    "
    Earth from the Air was a massive project for Yann. He spent ten years carefully researching the landcapes he has selected, flying over 76 countries and clocking up 3,000 flying hours by helicopter. Earth from the Air has taken him to Antarctica, Alaska, southern Argentina, Australia, Siberia and Africa. "

Here's an example of "lines & curves" in France. linked from his site

Have a look at his website its huge but worth it! I didn't notice to start with but if you scroll down on each picture there is a paragraph of information. You can see why it took 10 years.

Doh, just noticed he's already done Stonehenge ginger so don't worry about the plane. For Now ;) its here again linked from his website

His pictures are fantastic! I have been to his exibition twice, in Paris and Berlin. He just puts his HUGE photo's outside a trainstation or something for everybody to see. If you have the chance; go! thumb.gif
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    His pictures are fantastic! I have been to his exibition twice, in Paris and Berlin. He just puts his HUGE photo's outside a trainstation or something for everybody to see. If you have the chance; go! thumb.gif
    He's got an exhibition running in Birmingham until September, so I will...

Thanks Simone