Neuschwanstein Castle

bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
edited May 11, 2016 in Landscapes
Bavaria has many surprises & gems, the Neuschwanstein Castle high among them. Completed around 1892 it was the eclectic vision of Ludwig II of Bavaria that made it come to fruition. It also served as the inspiration for Disney's Sleeping Beauty Castle among others. It was awesome to see and I look forward to coming back to get more angles one day!

i-LGqx2Q8-XL.jpg

Comments

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2016
    A very nice capture. This castle is amazing on the inside, from the many different colored marble columns in the entry, to the ming china chandeliers and Hall of Mirrors. I recommend you take the tour if you get the opportunity, and there are several nice hikes in the area.

On a side note, I'll be visiting the square state W/ mountains at the end of May and early June. Any clues for wild flowers? I'll be starting in Durango and working north up the center.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2016
    Nice image of Mad Ludwig's castle. I have several slides of it from 1966. eek7.gif
    Steve
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2016
    Nice scenery......but to me there are 3 things drawing attention....castle, barn, bicyclist.......causing bit of head spin for me....
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2016
    Ah, you were in my backyard, so to speak! Neuschwanstein is about two hours from where I live. Although I haven't been inside the castle for many years it is a required stop when I have visitors from the States (I let them stand in line and take the tour while I enjoy the beautiful surroundings).

As Phil said, the area is great for hiking and cycling (you can rent bikes of any kind in Füssen) and has well-marked cycle and walking paths. If one has the time, it's a great way to experience the countryside up close and personal.

-- Sara
  • DarkRockDarkRock Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2016
    Great Shot of the castle. Brings back a lot of memories when we last visited 2014.

Here's my capture from the same...

DE2014-B0005-X2.jpg
    5D MIII, 24-105mm L f4 IS, 70-300mm L f4 IS, 17-40mm L f4 USM, 50mm f1.4

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2016
    Wow! The first one is very nicely composed. The second is stunning!
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 4, 2016
    bike21 wrote: »
    Bavaria has many surprises & gems, the Neuschwanstein Castle high among them.

i-LGqx2Q8-XL.jpg
    This is a fabulous shot. I love that your view of the castle includes the surroundings.

--- Denise
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A very nice capture. This castle is amazing on the inside, from the many different colored marble columns in the entry, to the ming china chandeliers and Hall of Mirrors. I recommend you take the tour if you get the opportunity, and there are several nice hikes in the area.

On a side note, I'll be visiting the square state W/ mountains at the end of May and early June. Any clues for wild flowers? I'll be starting in Durango and working north up the center.

Phil

Thanks Phil! We didn't make it to the inside as we arrived less than an hour before it closed. Next time for sure!

End of May should be a decent time for flowers though some don't kick off until later. Last time I was in Crested Butte for instance with good flowers was early July last year and it was juuuuust past peak according to locals. So I'm sure you'll find plenty. Around Boulder right now the flowers are just beginning to pop up.
    edited May 7, 2016
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    Nice image of Mad Ludwig's castle. I have several slides of it from 1966. eek7.gif

Nice, would love to see those!
    edited May 7, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice scenery......but to me there are 3 things drawing attention....castle, barn, bicyclist.......causing bit of head spin for me....

Yeah no minimalism here for certain, but still pretty :)
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2016
    bike21 wrote: »
    Yeah no minimalism here for certain, but still pretty :)

Agree...Cheers!
    edited May 11, 2016
    This is a fabulous shot. I love that your view of the castle includes the surroundings.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise!
    edited May 11, 2016
    DarkRock wrote: »
    Great Shot of the castle. Brings back a lot of memories when we last visited 2014.

Here's my capture from the same...

Nice, was hoping to get around the back side for that shot but we were short on time. Jammed to Andechs Monastery/Brewery for some tasty beverages as we were heading back toward Munich.

I really want the 'front' view from the hillside/tram to the east. Next time I'll take the tram up then hike down for that shot.
    edited May 11, 2016
    Ah, you were in my backyard, so to speak! Neuschwanstein is about two hours from where I live. Although I haven't been inside the castle for many years it is a required stop when I have visitors from the States (I let them stand in line and take the tour while I enjoy the beautiful surroundings).

As Phil said, the area is great for hiking and cycling (you can rent bikes of any kind in Füssen) and has well-marked cycle and walking paths. If one has the time, it's a great way to experience the countryside up close and personal.

-- Sara

That's great! I'll have to stop & say hello next time. We drove from Innsbruck that day, what an amazing drive! thumb.gif