Options

Milky Way & Moon

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited April 25, 2016 in Landscapes
Nothing fancy here, just simple. Thanks for viewing!

IMG_8878-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2016
    Nice!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2016
    Yes - Nice! Very interesting indeed. (a Spock statement). I love all things space. so how did you do this?
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    Yes - Nice! Very interesting indeed. (a Spock statement). I love all things space. so how did you do this?

Love the Spock statement :) That you would even ask how I shot an image is quite a compliment. Meta is below:

Canon 7D
    Tokina ATX PRO 11-16mm / 2.8 (no filter, but I prefer to use one)
    Promaster Professional Series tripod

Tv: 30sec. (2sec timer)
    Av: 2.8
    ISO: 4000
    Focal Length: 11mm
    Format: Medium RAW (image reduction requires interpolation, which significantly reduces noise)
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2016
    Actually I am glad Anna Maria asked because i wanted to know how you got right exposure both for the moon and milky way. From what I know, it is really hard to get them both as moonlight washes out the stars.....so kudos on that.
    I would say don't use filter at night......it makes things really worse and smears light.....however, you are doing so well....you should keep doing it.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Actually I am glad Anna Maria asked because i wanted to know how you got right exposure both for the moon and milky way. From what I know, it is really hard to get them both as moonlight washes out the stars.....so kudos on that.
    I would say don't use filter at night......it makes things really worse and smears light.....however, you are doing so well....you should keep doing it.
    Cheers!

bowdown.gif Thank you for the awesome encouragement, Taz! I totally get what you're saying about the filter. I guess I just have to decide which to sacrifice -photo quality, or glass safety (super windy & dusty up there). I wish my lens was L glass, I'd just spray a little water on the lens to pre-clean it and forget the filter all together. lol

To give my secret on the moon, here's the biggest thing that helped....it was a tiny sliver of a moon. :D I still have lots of trouble getting star shots with a half moon or larger.
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2016
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2016
    bowdown.gif Thank you for the awesome encouragement, Taz! I totally get what you're saying about the filter. I guess I just have to decide which to sacrifice -photo quality, or glass safety (super windy & dusty up there). I wish my lens was L glass, I'd just spray a little water on the lens to pre-clean it and forget the filter all together. lol

To give my secret on the moon, here's the biggest thing that helped....it was a tiny sliver of a moon. :D I still have lots of trouble getting star shots with a half moon or larger.

Thanks for sharing that info JBR. Actually that is the BEST way to shoot at night. 10-15% moon.
    That is why the fog below was so well lit!
    I hope to do same, but we don't have 10K to climb on coast and our fog usually of blinding variety.
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2016
    JonaBeth...

Beautiful image, nicely done.

Planning a trip in Sept. to Hilo and Kapaa, hope to capture some wonderful astro shots in a good dark sky location.

Thanks for sharing this image. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2016
    Incredible shot. It's amazing that you could capture detail in the Milky Way without the moon washing it out.