Tule land

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited January 28, 2016 in Wildlife
Tule Elk in foggy sunrise. Happy thanks giving all! All criticism is cherished.

1)
IMG_8084-X3.jpg

2)
IMG_8087-Edit-X3.jpg

3)
IMG_8094-X3.jpg

4)
IMG_8100-X3.jpg

5)
IMG_8105-X3.jpg

6)
IMG_8122-X3.jpg

7)
IMG_8115-X3.jpg

8)
IMG_8171-X3.jpg

9)
IMG_8184-X3.jpg

10)
IMG_8176-X3.jpg

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2015
    Nice series Taz #4 and #6 for me...
  • kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2015
    Majestic creatures - especially the bulls - in great light. Were these taken at Point Reyes? (I ask because we just had 2.5 terrific days up there ;-)

Eric

good gear; not enough time
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2015
    Nice work, Taz. I really like #'s 4 and 5! thumb.gif
    They are very majestic looking animals and your style brings that out nicely.

Take care,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice series Taz #4 and #6 for me...

Thanks kindly Cristobal I appreciate the feedback as sometimes it is hard to know...cheers!
    kscooper wrote: »
    Majestic creatures - especially the bulls - in great light. Were these taken at Point Reyes? (I ask because we just had 2.5 terrific days up there ;-)

Thanks Eric! Means much! I love Point Reyes, but these were taken at San Luis National Wildlife Refuge, towards Merced.
    Nice work, Taz. I really like #'s 4 and 5! thumb.gif
    They are very majestic looking animals and your style brings that out nicely.

Take care,

Wayne

Many many thanks Wayne! These are beautiful creatures but very nervous.....you get a moment or two before they take off.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2015
    Taz, these are great shots! My fave is number 8 where the one elk is looking over his shoulder in your direction - I like the crop and the attitudes, although I found the color balance a bit on the warm side (in shots 8-10). The color seemed more natural to me in shots 3-4. Did the light change that much in the time span the photos were taken?

Cheers, Sara
    edited November 27, 2015
    Taz, these are great shots! My fave is number 8 where the one elk is looking over his shoulder in your direction - I like the crop and the attitudes, although I found the color balance a bit on the warm side (in shots 8-10). The color seemed more natural to me in shots 3-4. Did the light change that much in the time span the photos were taken?

Cheers, Sara

Thanks Sara! Appreciate the input very much! I agree on warmth. I noticed it and brought down the temp and desaturated yellows to zero.........should have done more......the last shots were taken in bit more warmer light.....but there is room to calm it further and I just stopped at wrong point.

Below are the re-work, I think I like them much more, but let me know if it is improvement. Cheers Sara!

IMG_8176-X3.jpg

IMG_8171-X3.jpg

IMG_8184-X3.jpg
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2015
    Yes, they do look more natural to me. Especially love the antler detail in the 3rd shot!

BTW, the moment I read "tule" in your subject line I knew the pictures had to be from the Central Valley. I grew up in Turlock...

Cheers, Sara
    edited November 27, 2015
    Yes, they do look more natural to me. Especially love the antler detail in the 3rd shot!

BTW, the moment I read "tule" in your subject line I knew the pictures had to be from the Central Valley. I grew up in Turlock...

Cheers, Sara

Thanks Sara! Yeah that is very close to this area! Go by that all the time! Cheers!
  • Tony BrittonTony Britton Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2016
    The fog lends a wonderful dreamlike quality. Beautiful series!

Tony
    edited January 3, 2016
    The fog lends a wonderful dreamlike quality. Beautiful series!

Tony

Thanks Tony! Appreciate the kind comment! Fog is wonderful ingredient to have! Got lucky that day! Cheers!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 9, 2016
    These are all great, Taz!

I like them all, but the first three the best - love the softness of the fog.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited January 9, 2016
    pathfinder wrote: »
    These are all great, Taz!

I like them all, but the first three the best - love the softness of the fog.

Thanks Jim! I am overjoyed!!
    Cheers!
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2016
    You certainly get around. I was just wondering if B&W would enhance the fog effect. While I appreciate the inclusion of the Tule Fog with the Tule Elk ... The image just doesn't say Tule Fog to me ...

Here's the shot that says Tule Fog to moi, a strong silhouette of the bull against the gray foggy, generally featureless background. So you have to go back ... (And take me with you).

PS- These are very nice. #3 is my fav.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited January 9, 2016
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    You certainly get around. I was just wondering if B&W would enhance the fog effect. While I appreciate the inclusion of the Tule Fog with the Tule Elk ... The image just doesn't say Tule Fog to me ...

Here's the shot that says Tule Fog to moi, a strong silhouette of the bull against the gray foggy, generally featureless background. So you have to go back ... (And take me with you).

PS- These are very nice. #3 is my fav.

Gary I know exactly what you mean about Tule Fog......
    The central valley does get enough fog to try.......I have dreamed of it....
    It wold be a JOY to shoot with you....we talked about it before.....once my situation settles down....I intend to make every free second count and one of those things will be to ping you to go shooting.....
    Thanks truly!wings.gif
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Gary I know exactly what you mean about Tule Fog......
    The central valley does get enough fog to try.......I have dreamed of it....
    It wold be a JOY to shoot with you....we talked about it before.....once my situation settles down....I intend to make every free second count and one of those things will be to ping you to go shooting.....
    Thanks truly!wings.gif

It would be a great time. I'll even bring my a film camera, the Fuji GX680III.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2016
    great captures! clap.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 10, 2016
    Tango wrote: »
    great captures! clap.gif

Yay! Thanks kindly Aaron!
  • Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2016
    Very high quality and beautiful photos:):):)
    edited January 28, 2016
    Very high quality and beautiful photos:):):)

Thanks AV!!wings.gif