Options

Great Blue Heron

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited October 26, 2015 in Wildlife
First outing with the Nikkor 80-400 f 4.5-5.6 VR lens. Captured on the York River at
1/1250, f6.3, ISO 200, 400 mm with AF-S spot centered focusing. I am very new to attempting wildlife photography. C's & C's always welcome.

DSC_2546-8-X2.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2015
    Did good for trying out! The weeds are always tricky, you need them to hide from critters, but when they get in front of lens, you get that undesired bokeh as here. Nice freeze of action though! Cheers Wayne!
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Did good for trying out! The weeds are always tricky, you need them to hide from critters, but when they get in front of lens, you get that undesired bokeh as here. Nice freeze of action though! Cheers Wayne!

Taz, You the man! Much appreciated!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2015
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2015
    Nice shot!

Spinner

Thanks Spinner, much appreciated.

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2015
    I like it. I get what Taz is talking about, but on the other hand the weeds add a sense of place...
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    I like it. I get what Taz is talking about, but on the other hand the weeds add a sense of place...

That was my thought also. Thanks for taking the time and the kind review.

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2015
    Very nice shot of one of these big birds. thumb.gifthumb

In my area they are so leary, you really have to sneak up on one of these Herons to get a shot. Most times I stop my vehicle for a better look and off they go.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    Hey Wayne -

Somehow I get the feeling that you are about to be hooked on bird photography - just as happened to me - and I can't wait to see your skills develop . . .

Eric

Eric

good gear; not enough time
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Very nice shot of one of these big birds. thumb.gifthumb

In my area they are so leary, you really have to sneak up on one of these Herons to get a shot. Most times I stop my vehicle for a better look and off they go.

Phil

Phil, I've had that same experience. This one just seemed to be oblivious to activity until I aimed the camera! :D Thanks for stopping by!
    kscooper wrote: »
    Hey Wayne -

Somehow I get the feeling that you are about to be hooked on bird photography - just as happened to me - and I can't wait to see your skills develop . . .

Eric

Eric, you just might be right! thumb.gif

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2015
    Definitely a good start with a new piece of kit, imo.

A pic that looks sharp, a bit of action taken from a frontal viewpoint - rather than the often seen rear quarter shots of subject going away from cam - and water ... which, of course, is my least favoured envronment :)

Re reeds / foliage etc between cam and subject ... yes, can give a 'sense of place' ... I wonder if this would still be present if you cropped out the better defined reeds and just left the more oof ones?

'peekaboo' shots through reeds etc can certainly work, as can having tree foliage in shot as some sort of 'anchor' ...if not as complete bg rather than boring,featureless blue sky.

Obviously, you'd expect me to rant on about low povs - especially where water's involved - but all I'll say is try it out for yourself and make your own judgement. If you frequent a local venue often enough, look for suitable locations that allow such shooting.

I've put this link up before, but if you've not seen it, it's worth a look, as there are, for me, anyway, many points that fit with my approach ...and note the last sentence of tip 1 ... from someone far better /experienced than myself :)

http://blog.northshots.com/2013/12/20-nature-wildlife-photography-tips/

pp
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Definitely a good start with a new piece of kit, imo.

A pic that looks sharp, a bit of action taken from a frontal viewpoint - rather than the often seen rear quarter shots of subject going away from cam - and water ... which, of course, is my least favoured envronment :)

Re reeds / foliage etc between cam and subject ... yes, can give a 'sense of place' ... I wonder if this would still be present if you cropped out the better defined reeds and just left the more oof ones?

'peekaboo' shots through reeds etc can certainly work, as can having tree foliage in shot as some sort of 'anchor' ...if not as complete bg rather than boring,featureless blue sky.

Obviously, you'd expect me to rant on about low povs - especially where water's involved - but all I'll say is try it out for yourself and make your own judgement. If you frequent a local venue often enough, look for suitable locations that allow such shooting.

I've put this link up before, but if you've not seen it, it's worth a look, as there are, for me, anyway, many points that fit with my approach ...and note the last sentence of tip 1 ... from someone far better /experienced than myself :)

http://blog.northshots.com/2013/12/20-nature-wildlife-photography-tips/

pp

Paul, having visited your website several times, I value your input! I appreciate your very thoughtful comments and will most certainly take a look at the URL you kindly posted. Means a lot for you to take a look at my beginner efforts and pass on your knowledge and experience. I do plan to revisit this area and decide where to best position the camera as you suggested. Regards and thanks again!