old and abandoned in Tri state area

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited December 30, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi all!
I am trying to put together a list of all places abandoned, old, decrepit and photogenic a days drive from NYC. I have tried searching online but am having a hard time finding things. I also figured you guys may have some tips for exploring places like this as well. I am hoping for anyplace made of stone or brickrather than concrete. Overgrown old farms, kwim?
Thanks in advance for any helpful tips you can give.
Kristina
www.kvtphotography.com

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Hi Kristina,

I will just advise you to take great care when publicizing information like this. Most people who risk their lives going into such places do so on a "don't ask don't tell" basis and will never recommend doing the same to others. Information like what you're trying to compile is largely done DIY because no one wants to take responsibility for any resulting accidents or misfortunes.

If you're serious about it, there are a number of other forums on the web that may be more helpful.

The bottom line is that the best way to do this is to get in your car and drive around. Get a map, plan a route, take the road less traveled, and keep your eyes peeled.

HTH
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi Kristina,

I will just advise you to take great care when publicizing information like this. Most people who risk their lives going into such places do so on a "don't ask don't tell" basis and will never recommend doing the same to others. Information like what you're trying to compile is largely done DIY because no one wants to take responsibility for any resulting accidents or misfortunes.

If you're serious about it, there are a number of other forums on the web that may be more helpful.

The bottom line is that the best way to do this is to get in your car and drive around. Get a map, plan a route, take the road less traveled, and keep your eyes peeled.

HTH
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi Kristina,

HTH

Just to clarify, I am not talking about entering any structure which is old, abandoned and decrepit. I am looking for shots from the outside only. I don't see any issue with getting a landscape type shot of these types of places.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    ... I also figured you guys may have some tips for exploring places like this as well.

I apologize! From your OP it sounded to me that this is what you meant. For things like farmhouses I am sure there are no problems photographing them as landscapes or even architecturally, provided whoever owns the land doesn't mind you're there. thumb.gif

It's safe to say I love seeing all kinds of old and decrepit architecture, so I hope you share some of your shots with us here. :D
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    No problem, I should have been more clear. I am too chicken to do any exploring on that level unless I am being lead by a master ;) lol I would love to but prefer to stay safe! I was just hoping that people might know of some areas to look into checking out.
    Thanks!
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    You might want to pick up a copy of the book "Weird NJ" which has lots of interesting stuff in northern/central NJ that you could look at. They also have a regular magazine that will have more stuff. It's the original. After they published the book, "weird" other states came out, I know there's a PA one, don't know about NY but there probably is.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    This was on Digg yesterday
    7 Abandoned Wonders of the World (some near NYC)
  • Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    This is definatly not abandoned but you should check out lambertville nj, and new hope pa which is just across the river.. They are quaint little towns with really neat old show ranging from magic stores to places that sell mid-evil clothing. Asbury park is basically a ghost town if that's what your looking for
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com