Katz Eye Optics

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 31, 2007 in Accessories
I'd like to hear more about the on-hand experience of the KE focusing screen.
I like how it makes manual focusing so much better, but I mostly shoot AF, so my questions is really: what are the downsides of the KE mattes when you NOT shooting MF? For instance - I often focus on the one of the auxiliarry focus points. My impression is that KE only works if dead-centered...:scratch
I would hate to waste $200 on a piece of glass that I wouldn't use...:dunno
TIA!:thumb
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    If you aren't doing any MF, the screen would probably be of limited use. I do some MF work, and also like to use the screen as a secondary confirmation of AF lock as the subject snaps into focus. As long as your subject is partly within the microprism ring and/or the split-prism it snaps into focus better than just the stock screen. I have not noticed any downside to having the screen at all, at least on my 20D. I have read there's some AE adjustment needed with Rebels which could be considered a downside.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    If you aren't doing any MF, the screen would probably be of limited use. I do some MF work, and also like to use the screen as a secondary confirmation of AF lock as the subject snaps into focus. As long as your subject is partly within the microprism ring and/or the split-prism it snaps into focus better than just the stock screen. I have not noticed any downside to having the screen at all, at least on my 20D. I have read there's some AE adjustment needed with Rebels which could be considered a downside.

That AE adjustment is what bothers me most. My wedding/portrait lenses are f/2.8 and the online manual says you gotta have f/2.0 or faster to avoid the AE compensation. And thinking about AE compensation is the last thing I need during these already pressure inducing events...
    edited October 30, 2007
    Yebbut, you shoot a 30D, not a Rebel. Different AE. I don't do any adjustment with my 20D as it is not necessary. I have two f2.8 lenses, a f4, and an f1.8. I've used everything from an f1.2 to an f6.3 and never, ever felt the need to tweak exposure compensation; images always come out exposed properly (well, unless I've messed something up myself).
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Yebbut, you shoot a 30D, not a Rebel. Different AE. I don't do any adjustment with my 20D as it is not necessary. I have two f2.8 lenses, a f4, and an f1.8. I've used everything from an f1.2 to an f6.3 and never, ever felt the need to tweak exposure compensation; images always come out exposed properly (well, unless I've messed something up myself).
    Thanks, Chris! thumb.gif
    Anybody has an opinion on the OptiBrite version vs regular one? They say something to the extent it's brighter (yay), but less effective (nay) and more expensive (ouch)..
    edited October 31, 2007
    Mine's the standard one, so cannot say how effective that is. I didn't see the need for it as the standard version is plenty bright enough IMHO. I don't recall reading that it was less effective.