Springtime in the Anza-Borrego Desert

JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited April 10, 2008 in Journeys
I was originally going to post this in the macro forum, since a lot of the pictures here are macros. But then I decided to post it here, since it was a weekend trip and it's not all macro.

Anza-Borrego is a Desert State Park in Southern California, it's located to the north-east of San Diego.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anza_Borrego

I went there a week ago to see how the desert was blooming. I was a little bit too late for the wildflowers (The peak happened 2 weeks before I went), but it was still very green, many cacti were blooming.

All shots are handheld with a Nikon d200 and a 17-55 or a Sigma 150 macro, I hope you enjoy them

CA_Anza_Borrego_001.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_002.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_004.jpg

This guy crossed the street right in front of me, lucky for him I saw him and was able to stop

CA_Anza_Borrego_005.jpg

Not everything was blooming

CA_Anza_Borrego_007.jpg

Time for some color

Ocotillo blooming

CA_Anza_Borrego_008.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_009.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_014.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_035.jpg

Various Cacti

CA_Anza_Borrego_012.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_015.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_017.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_020.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_021.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_026.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_027.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_031.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_036.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_037.jpg

Other

CA_Anza_Borrego_018.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_024.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_025.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_039.jpg

Ladybug

CA_Anza_Borrego_016.jpg

Ran across this rattlesnake while hiking, he came out to take a drink from a small stream

CA_Anza_Borrego_043.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_046.jpg

The park takes its name in part from the Desert Bighorn Sheep (Borrego). They are endangered, I was lucky to see a few while hiking

CA_Anza_Borrego_047.jpg

CA_Anza_Borrego_048.jpg

I hope you enjoy these images.

Now that I have some free time, I'll be posting more from my South Asia and Middle East trips soon
Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
www.Jimbojack.com

Comments

• GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Great shots! Thanks for sharing.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    As a desert dweller myself I know how colorful and lively the desert can be. What lens did you use to get the rattlesnake? I had en encounter myself (almost got bit) but he didn't pose for me like this one.

I really like the macros and the big horn! thumb.gif

~Eia~
  • JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Eia wrote:
    As a desert dweller myself I know how colorful and lively the desert can be. What lens did you use to get the rattlesnake? I had en encounter myself (almost got bit) but he didn't pose for me like this one.

I really like the macros and the big horn! thumb.gif

~Eia~

I've never seen a snake come to a stream to drink water before, I suppose they have to do it sometime though. I used a sigma 150mm macro for those photos, I was standing on a rock on the other side of the small stream when I took them.

I've also had a couple of close calls with rattlesnakes while hiking in the past, scared the cr** out of me!

I came across 3 snakes within 3 hours that day, needless to say I was very attentive for the rest of the time I was in the desert
    Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
    Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
    www.Jimbojack.com