Two Weeks in Hawaii

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 5, 2012 in Journeys
Just got back from our annual vacation. This year, we headed out to Hawaii for two weeks. We spent a week in Oahu and another in Kauai. We had a great time. I have yet to go through all of the photos I took but have some to share, mostly from Kauai. Unfortunately, I lost two days worth of photos due to a faulty backup. I will add more photos to this thread as I proccess them. The photos are in no specific order.

1 -This first set is of Lumahai Beach, off the north shore of Kauai. Several movies have been filmed here. The most notable is South Pacific. Although the beach seems like a nice place to go swimming, there have been several deaths here due to unsuspecting tourists getting swept off the rocks by large surf. So of course, what do I do? Go out on the rocks to shoot this pano of the beach. You can see my wife on the left. She was not very happy with me. LOL. No worries, my wife and I sat to watch the surf and tide for 30 minutes before we ventured out on the rocks... Common practice for me when I surf or swim at any beach.
00124-Edit-XL.jpg

2 - Here is another shot of the rocks and tide pools. Lots of little critters in them. Unfortunately, we made out here at midday so lighting was not great. The clouds were working with me a bit to help though
00189-Edit-XL.jpg

3 - My wife taking in the view and watching for that "rogue" wave. She worries too much.
00087-Edit-XL.jpg

4 - The next few are of another beach in Kauai called Salt Pond Beach. Not many tourists at this one. Seemed to be a locals hang out. Quite a few families camping or hanging out, enjoying a day at the beach. There are some great rock formations just off the beach.
00017-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

5 - I sat and watched the surf roll in and out here for a while. These mini-waterfalls were very cool.
00009-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

6 - Sunset was quite a site here.
i-FC7BwrR-XL.jpg

7 - There was still time for a couple more shots after the sun fell well below the horizon.
00126-Edit-XL.jpg

8 - Another beautiful beach in Kauai was Lawai. A bit more tourist action here but nice all the same. Many people come out to Lawai to catch the sunset. We visited it on our last night and unfortunately, the sunset was not that spectacular. This shot was the best of the evening. The sky actually go more drab looking as the sun fell.
80000129-Edit-X2.jpg

9- Here we're jumping islands to Oahu. This was taken on a beach in Haleiwa. What a special treat I got when I came just to shoot the sunset and was visited by this huge sea turtle. And no, it's not dead, just taking a nap.
DSC9582-Edit-XL.jpg

10 - This is also Haleiwa but facing the other direction as the shot above. I took this well after the sunset in very low light. The green algae was amazing in contrast with the black lava rock. This is how green it was in real life. It's not pushed in post.
DSC9629-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

11 - Also on Oahu is Paradise Cove in Ko'Olina. This spot is quite popular with wedding and engagement photographers. There were at least half a dozen couples getting there photos taken while I was there. I heard a few of the photogs arguing over spots. It was quite amusing. I'm pretty sure they didn't appreciate some Cuban in swim trunks wading around the water with his camera in the background!!!
DSC0526-Edit-XL.jpg

12 - Check out the storm cloud and rain pouring down on the horizon. Very cool sight!
DSC0269-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

13 - Now back to Kauai and a shot of the front portion of Waimea Canyon. I took quite a number of photos of the canyon during sunrise but I'm afraid none of them are that great. I have to go back through them for a second look. This I took about an hour after sunrise and during our drive back out of the canyon. It's actually quite a wonderful photo when viewed large. I've linked the photo to a larger version so click it if you'd like to see it.
Waimea-Canyon-Pano-2-XL.jpg

14 - These next few are of a historic spot in Kauai called Russian Fort Elisabeth. Apparently, some dude in the 1800s, who worked for a factory owned by Russians, built a fort on this location as part of a plan to take control of the island of Kauai from King Kamehameha and give it back to the original King. I guess his plan didn't work out. All there is left is a sign and a bunch of rocks that were used to build the fort. Not really much to look at but it does have a nice beach.
00489-Edit-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

15 - It appears that this would be a great spot to surf when the swell is bigger. I sat and watched the nice lefts peel away for a bit then this guy on SUP board paddle on by.
00391-Edit-XL.jpg

16 - The beach has a small stream that spills into it and black sand. Pretty cool and so different than the beaches I'm used to surfing at in So Cal.
00495-Edit-X2.jpg

That's it for this post. I will share more as the days progress and I get through more of my photos. I promise to include other types of photos and will not bore you too much more with my attempts at landscapes.

Hope you enjoy these... stay tuned. :thumb
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    clap.gifclap.gif way good!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    You've got some real stunners in here! Love that sea turtle and glad it was just a nap. I'd need one too, hauling a shell like that.

Did you use any off-camera flash on these? A few of them look like you could have, which means you've captured a very Hollywood-esque feel.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    great set! the sea turtle shot is very cool
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Great set, I started keeping track of my favorites then gave up. Very productive trip, good stuff.
    .....and just to be sure I understood you correctly...whoooo was taking in the view in number 3?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited November 2, 2011
    Nice set! My favorites are the sea turtle (#9), and the green covered rocks on the beach (#10). That one made me feel like I was standing right there.

--- Denise
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. It's funny because I posted some of these in the landscape forum and got few to zero replies. I know the lack of replies doesn't mean anything but it is nice to know people are at least looking at the photos one posts.

The trip was a lot of fun we have friends on Oahu so we got to see a the island from a locals POV. We hiked, kayaked, I surfed... You name it we, we did it. Kauai was more relaxed. We spent the traveling the island and taking in all the sights. I kind of bummed because I lost two full days of images. I was pretty heartbroken because we hiked to couple waterfalls on one of those days. My wife may have some pics on her P&S so not all is lost but I took some photos that I was pretty proud of. Well, lesson learned.

Steph... I don't think I used flash on any of this photos. All are single exposures except for the first shot and the shot of Waimea Canyon, which is also stitched from a few frames. I really got a lot of use from my cokin GND filters on this trip. It was challenging yet fun learning to use them.

The turtle shot is probably my fav of all the photos I took. Only because it's something not everyone gets to experience. I feel quite lucky to have witnessed it but even more that I get to share it with you guys.

I have many more pics to share. Hopefully they don't disappoint.

My Smug Site
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    These are all awesome!!! #10 might be my favorite, but I just love them all! They're magazine quality I feel :)
  • KalamataKalamata Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Very nice pictures, thank you. 8 and 9 would be my favourites, 3 is also nice, clap.gif

Ed
  • PriorPrior Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Love the shots- 6, 9 and 10 in particular. Hawaii is on the short list of places to visit; will need to give all of these a shot.

Great work!
    awprior.smugmug.com
    Nikon D2x
    Nikon 18-200 f3.5-5.6 DX
    Nikon SB-800
  • anthonydavis4188anthonydavis4188 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 2, 2011
    After seeing these pics, I feel tempted to visit the place, carving out with my plans for the same.
  • MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Awesome. I love Hawaii.

One of these days, I am going to win the lotto and just spend the rest of my life shooting the islands. One could make a lifetime out of this, and still just scratch the surface.
    More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    amazing set, loved the sunset!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    turtle shot is just wicked! thumb.gif
  • CRobHCRobH Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    All great shots! Favorites are #1 & #6
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2012
    Nice, nice, nice...liked'em all. Good work, especially the long shutter as the water flowed over the rocks.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2012
    Thanks guys. It was a great trip. This year's trip is in the planning stages. Two weeks in Cuba. Can't wait.

My Smug Site
  • Mohammed AlayaliMohammed Alayali Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    amazing ...
  • sailroninsailronin Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Lovely series
    Thanks for looking,
    Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com
    edited April 22, 2012
    amazing ...
    sailronin wrote: »
    Lovely series

Thanks guys.

My Smug Site
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Wonderful images. I especially like the one of your gorgeous wife, and the one of you laying face down in the sand.

Sam
  • Pono PhotoPono Photo Registered Users Posts: 68 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2012
    Great shots! Now you know why I live here on Kauai. :D Lumahai is such a fantastic beach. At least outside of the winter it is. In winter, those rocks you were standing on are often under 5 feet of water as huge waves come crashing across. That's what usually kills people there.

Oh and here is a little piece of trivia for you. The beach everyone calls Lumahai is not actually Lumahai beach. It is actually called Kahalahala, and the far end of the beach is called Lumahai. As you saw, it's not really a marked spot. Just one of those you either read about in guide books or by chance you see cars there. It used to be a full on locals beach. Then all the tourists and everyone started showing up after it got published in the Ultimate Guidebook. That is when the name changed. The name Lumahai actually means dangerous waters in Hawaiian. So people started calling Kahalahala Lumahai to get people to stop coming, since the waters were dangerous. But since very few people speak Hawaiian, they didn't know and the guidebook said it was a great spot. So that is how that beach got two names. :D
  • AprilHiteAprilHite Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    Hi
    Very nice!!!!