Options

Can the drop down menu be customized?

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
edited February 5, 2016 in SmugMug Customization
On my home page I have a menu, and have a menu across the top. Those menu items mostly have a "include sublinks" so they produce a dropdown of all galleries or folders inside the main link (which is a folder).

For a really convoluted reason, I think I want to change one of them so it does not include ALL sublinks.

I'm happy to type them in, it doesn't have to be a way to exclude some, it can just be non-auto.

But there appears to be no choice to define sublinks other than by existence (and choosing that option).

Or is there? Is there a way to either exclude some, or explicitly list what I want to include?

Note that setting to unlisted or private is not an option to keep these hidden. I don't so much want them hidden as not on this menu.

Any ideas?

I should note there are ID's in the list item tags, but I have no idea if they stay the same or change (they are long, like menuItem-yui_3_8_0_1_1454380776892_410). If they are stable I can just do this in CSS I think; I just don't know if that is reliable).

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2016
    Yes - you can turn off "include" sublinks" and add menu links manually.
    See this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=255856&highlight=create+menu+link&page=2 post #34 I have added some screen shots

Also there is this help page: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1222523
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2016
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    Yes - you can turn off "include" sublinks" and add menu links manually.
    See this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=255856&highlight=create+menu+link&page=2 post #34 I have added some screen shots

Also there is this help page: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1222523

Wow, I really should have looked in the manual. I was expecting it to be on the page with the sublinks, not on the prior screen with indents. Obvious now.

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2016
    Ahhhhhh.... shoot...

The Breadcrumb appears to be folder structured, not related to the menu (obvious I guess in retrospect since there's no connection).

Am I correct there's no real way to connect the two? If I build a menu structure different from the folder/gallery structure, I can't do a breadcrumb (at least if I want people navigating by the menus)?
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2016
    I'm sure I understand what you are wanting ... but that happens more and more these days!!!!
    I hope some-one with more intimate knowledge of the back end of Smugmug structure can jump in
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Ahhhhhh.... shoot...

The Breadcrumb appears to be folder structured, not related to the menu (obvious I guess in retrospect since there's no connection).

Am I correct there's no real way to connect the two? If I build a menu structure different from the folder/gallery structure, I can't do a breadcrumb (at least if I want people navigating by the menus)?

Do you need a breadcrumb? I mean, what if you just remove it?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2016
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Do you need a breadcrumb? I mean, what if you just remove it?

I think that's the answer. They were quite nice to provide context, but I think removing it is the only solution if I start breaking away from the physical structure of folders and galleries from the navigational structure of the menus.

I'd rather keep them the same of course, but have WAY too many links "out there" pointing to where the folders are now.

My alternative is smart galleries -- essentially copy all the folders and galleries where I want them and put dummy smart galleries where they used to be to preserve old links. But that's really tedious.

Hey Smugmug... is there a lot of overhead for you, or other bad effects, of smart galleries. Like a could hundred of them?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited February 5, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    I think that's the answer. They were quite nice to provide context, but I think removing it is the only solution if I start breaking away from the physical structure of folders and galleries from the navigational structure of the menus.

I'd rather keep them the same of course, but have WAY too many links "out there" pointing to where the folders are now.
    Without the breadcrumb how will your viewers navigate? Will then need to start at the top again and then progressively open lower-level folders, or will you provide some other type of navigation?

Some of your folders have a shallow structure and I guess you could argue that the viewer could just go back to the correct drop-down entry in your menu, but others are deeper and I think those would be problematic.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2016
    Without the breadcrumb how will your viewers navigate? Will then need to start at the top again and then progressively open lower-level folders, or will you provide some other type of navigation?

Some of your folders have a shallow structure and I guess you could argue that the viewer could just go back to the correct drop-down entry in your menu, but others are deeper and I think those would be problematic.

It's a good question, though I would say 95% of the people coming there are coming for a specific game that recently occurred. In fact most come directly there from a press release or school web link.

Now that said... there are people who occasionally come to look historically for a specific player, and need to browse through the games....

Your point is well taken, but I'm starting to run into a wall. I should have designed the folders differently, but I didn't. And now I can't change as there are a LOT of places pointing to them in social media as well as multiple school sites, and probably 0.5% of those I can actually change (much less find). Ideally the menu itself would persist the breadcrumbs but it doesn't.

The core problem, I think, is Smugmug built the menus independent of the folder structure, but also presumed (probably correctly) most people will make them the same, so support for being different is a bit spotty. Kind of like permanent gallery links that survive being moved -- they exist, but they are hardly what I would call well supported.